Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 2:01:59 PM EDT
'k folks, if you're going to be doing touch and gos at a regional airport in your tiny/near invisible experimental aircraft with a radio that does not transmit, you observe another aircraft entering the pattern in the opposite direction, you ignore irate radio calls from the other aircraft asking you to state your intentions after you pass within 100 yards of it going the opposite direction and radio calls stating that aircraft's position in the pattern, you observe that aircraft turning base/final, you listen to radio calls from the other aircraft stating that he has lost visual contact with you and to please report your position...and you STILL decide to land in the opposite direction...you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
'k folks, if you're going to be doing touch and gos at a regional airport in your tiny/near invisible experimental aircraft with a radio that does not transmit, you observe another aircraft entering the pattern in the opposite direction, you ignore irate radio calls from the other aircraft asking you to state your intentions after you pass within 100 yards of it going the opposite direction and radio calls stating that aircraft's position in the pattern, you observe that aircraft turning base/final, you listen to radio calls from the other aircraft stating that he has lost visual contact with you and to please report your position...and you STILL decide to land in the opposite direction...you're an idiot.

So...ummm...which plane were you in?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
the non idiot plane.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Having once nearly landed on a flying lawnchair & side slipped to a low speed pass over the grass & waved the international one finger 'hello' to the boenhead.

My instructor was left seat & also waved 'hello' too.

7mm
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
So basically it turned into a macho match in the sky?   That's how   everyone   wins.

"Superior pilots use their superior judgement to avoid using their superior skill."
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a fanger intersection  in the DAL area
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How is he supposed to report his position if his radio does not transmit?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
This world lacks perfection.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing 87GN didn't know his radio didn't transmit until afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing 87GN didn't know his radio didn't transmit until afterwards.

We talked on the ground...he said he'd been flying the pattern for an hour and didn't notice that his radio was not transmitting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate uncontrolled airports.

I hate NORDO aircraft.

I hate yahoos who don't read the AIM.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hate uncontrolled airports.

I hate NORDO aircraft.

I hate yahoos who don't read the AIM.

At the local un towered airport with 4 or 5 in the pattern -

"xxx traffic, Bonanza 12345, 10 miles out straight in for 17"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
There was the time I reported over a known landmark entering on the 45. . . and had another aircraft report that he was over the same landmark too!  His radio in his Cub sucked.  I was in a 172.  Good thing was, I was at pattern altitude and he was entering on the 45 a good hundred feet lower and about a quarter-mile abeam to my left.  I was number one, the Cub was number two.  I felt sorry for the poor bastard in another Cessna who was immediately behind us and got number three behind that Cub.

My instructor had quite the concerned look on her face until I found the Cub.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
An uncontrolled airport is just that. A radio is not required, but following the regs is required. Guys with and without radios can both be 'dicks'. Airplanes have windows so that "see and avoid" is possible. New avionics tend to encourage pilots to spend too much time inside the cockpit instead of looking outside.

If all pilots learned early basic pilot skills in tailwheel A/C without radio for talking or navigating much sharper piloting skills would be attained and safety enhanced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top