Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 12:19:24 PM EDT
You are in a canoe (hmm?).  You are in a green canoe, floating in a swimming pool.  In your lap you have a 100 pound anvil.  You take the anvil and drop it over the side of the canoe, whereupon it sinks to the bottom of the pool.

What happens to the water level in the pool?

Does it go up?
Go down?
Or, stay the same?

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Archimedes. . .where are you?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Since it's a GREEN canoe, it would stay the same!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that the guy asking about the hydrometer in the beer brewing post might want to take a look at this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the anvil has displaced the water in the amount of it's size, so I would say that the water level would go [b]up[/b] ever so slightly.

But you probably could not tell just by looking at it that it went up...
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The anvil is denser than water, so the level will go down.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Water level stays the same in the pool, but the canoe rides a little higher.

Density of canoe goes down so it displaces less water thus water level goes down slightly, but anvil hits water thus raising it back up by the same amount.  Density of you + anvil + canoe stays the same since all parties are present in both cases.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, since no one else has responded, I'll submit:

The water level in the pool will drop slightly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ding, Ding.  Francisco and IMHO are our big winners today...  Tell them what they have won Johnny.

Seriously now (I'll try for at least a Minute).

In order to float the anvil, the canoe must displace 100 LBS of water.  Since the anvil sinks it is displacing less than 100 LBS of water.  Therefore the water level in the pool drops.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless, the anvil is a cheap Chinese piece of porous crap that weighs less than 62.4 pounds per cubic foot.

If so, all bets are off!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
To explain:
When floating (in the canoe) the anvil displaces its weight in water.  When sunk it displaces its volume in water.  Since the anvil is denser than water (that's why it sinks) the volume of the anvil is less than 100lbs of water, hence lowering the water level.

Oops, Green_Canoe already explained it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
"Ding, Ding. Francisco and IMHO are our big winners today... Tell them what they have won Johnny."

Francisco entered his answer first.

I suggest that the Archimedes Prize include money.  
Francisco knows what it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top