Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 10:53:36 AM EDT
Not to beat a dead horse...but here we go again!

Holy crap this pit bull was one damn tough mutt!

But hey...I understand...it always the owners...never the poor pup.  

Dog killed in bloody melee after attacking Gainesville student

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — A sheriff's deputy shot and killed a 70-pound pit bull Thursday after the dog attacked a student in an apartment stairwell and turned on a neighbor attempting to help.

Two others charged the pit bull with knives and a machete, trying to get the dog to loosen its grip on one of the victims, according to Alachua County Sheriff's officials.

Ryan Tyler, 21, of Jupiter, and Ryan Troup, 19, of St. Petersburg, were rushed to Shands at UF and treated for arm injuries.

The dog was in the hallway on the second floor of a Gainesville apartment complex when it lunged and severely bit Tyler on his left arm, biting almost to the bone, said Sgt. Steve Maynard of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

"If the dog had been left to chew on him, he probably would have been dead," Maynard told The Gainesville Sun.

Maynard said the dog, a black pit bull with reddish hues, was named Tango.

Tyler's friend, Ian Carmichael, heard screams, rushed from his apartment and jumped on the dog's back. He tried pulling Tango off by its collar. At the same time, Nathan Lezniewicz, ran to the scene with a machete and kitchen knives.

The men furiously stabbed the dog while its teeth were clenched on Tyler's arm, Maynard said.

The dog, bloodied and with a knife in its torso, released Tyler's arm and ran up to the third floor. But it immediately came back downstairs, cornered Troup and bit his arm.

Neighbors called for help, and deputies arrived soon after.

With Carmichael and Lezniewicz still trying to fend off Tango, deputies pounded the dog with a pole. Officers then shot the dog, Maynard said.

Deputies were trying to contact the dog's owner. The Sheriff's Office did not say whether charges will be filed.

Maynard said the apartment building prohibited certain types of dogs, such as pit bulls.

www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/gen/ap/FL_Pit_Bull_Attack.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL...!

I saw that this morning and wondered how long it would take before it showed up here.

"You stab it wit this knife and I'll wack it wit this machete..."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You pitbull-hater !!  

A yorkshire terrier or a weinerdog would have been just as dangerous if they had irresponsible owners!!  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Just like the cop bashing, one bad one spoils the whole bunch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Deputies were trying to contact the dog's owner. The Sheriff's Office did not say whether charges will be filed.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Just another example why people need to own guns for protection.

If one of those people had owned a good .45 it would have been over very quickly and could have saved this kid a lot of injuries.

You shouldn't have to call the fuzz to end an attack.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Single minded in its pursuit.

With Carmichael and Lezniewicz still trying to fend off Tango, deputies pounded the dog with a pole. Officers then shot the dog, Maynard said.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh goody! The trolls are out in full force on this one!

[sarcasm]But hey...I understand...there's no such thing as a good pit bull, none of them are to be trusted. Give me a good ol' cocker spaniel any day. They're all worthless dogs, and should be allowed to go extinct. Only thugs and gangbangers would want such a dog. For confirmation, see the website at the link below.[/sarcasm]

Pitbullsontheweb.com

But remember, this is all just propaganda to keep a brutal breed on our streets and in our neighborhoods where they can eat babies.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#9]
They can't be used for hunting... they should be banned  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Zen

But they are the ones with the most experience shooting dogs...........

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zen

Sgtar15

Indeed, but I wasn't just talking about attacks from dogs, .......  

Damn people in this country are have become so dependent of big daddy govt that they have no idea how to stand up for themselves.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Just an FYI.  Pit bulls are bred to be small, around 40 lbs or so.  70 lbs doesn't sound like a pure bred pit bull.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Tango down.  Tango down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Waiting for the pit bull apologists to show up!!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
But Pitbulls are the Religion of Peace
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a pitbull experience last sunday. My 3 kids were playing in the backyard when a stray pitbull jumped the fence and entered said yard.  My kids freaked and started yelling at it to go away, at which time my dog, which was inside the house, jumped through the screen door ($130 repair) and attacked and drove off the stray pitbull, then went to each child to comfort them and made sure they were OK, she is very motherly to my kids since she has watched them grow.  I then grabbed a shotgun and went to dispatch the stray before it could hurt somebody. My kids begged me not to shoot it, so I told them to grab me some dog biscuits and I used that to befriend the stray and then tied it up until animal control came to collect it.

My dog is very heroic and has saved my wife from a rattlesnake bite, and took a bite in the neck while killing the snake, but she healed up just fine. She also saved my ass from a stray Rott that wanted a taste of my ass while I was jogging. Great dog, the whole family loves her beyond words and it's obvious that the dog will do anything for us. My dog is a pitbull by the way.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I am sure my neighbor with two kids thinks his inside-the-house pit bull is the tamest thing going.  The few times that it was outside it stiffened and eye-locked on me, barely paying attention to the owner.  I do yard work armed, for that reason alone.  If it ever comes at me, although I would rather shoot the owner, the dog will be extra crispy.  It is only a matter of time.

Pit bulls rank right up there with snakes in my book.  Sure, your dog is tame around you.  My best friend's Rotweiler was very docile around him.  The dog practically took down the wall when I went over when nobody was home.

If you have a pit and it bites someone, you stand a very good chance at losing your house and everything you own, possibly even the death of a loved one in your future.  Sure, not YOUR dog.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Tango down.  Tango down.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I understand how you feel. I have a neighbor that has a german shepard that gets out now and then and terrorizes the neighborhood and has bitten somebody, why it's not dead yet I don't know, but I keep a shotgun handy when doing yard work cuz it's just a matter of time til that devildog gets loose again and I will kill it.

I have no misconceptions about my pitbull, while it's a loveable lapdog to the family, I know that she would bite a stranger in a hearbeat if she felt she needed to (warranted or not). For that reason, the dog is either inside the house, or when let outside is accompanied by an adult at all times.  Which should be done with any large or strong dog, pitbull, shep, rott makes no difference.

Quoted:
I am sure my neighbor with two kids thinks his inside-the-house pit bull is the tamest thing going.  The few times that it was outside it stiffened and eye-locked on me, barely paying attention to the owner.  I do yard work armed, for that reason alone.  If it ever comes at me, although I would rather shoot the owner, the dog will be extra crispy.  It is only a matter of time.

Pit bulls rank right up there with snakes in my book.  Sure, your dog is tame around you.  My best friend's Rotweiler was very docile around him.  The dog practically took down the wall when I went over when nobody was home.

If you have a pit and it bites someone, you stand a very good chance at losing your house and everything you own, possibly even the death of a loved one in your future.  Sure, not YOUR dog.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
This discussion is a waste of bandwidth.

No one but a police officer or the military needs any kind of dog.

I will now be starting an organization called "Pittbull Control, Inc"

First we will have a vote to ban the Pittbulls (dog of choice for drug dealers in our inner cities), and then we will go after the rest...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in ' I would have done it."

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zen

Sgtar15

Doh!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
The dog was obviously provoked...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This discussion is a waste of bandwidth.

No one but a police officer or the military needs any kind of dog.

I will now be starting an organization called "Pittbull Control, Inc"

First we will have a vote to ban the Pittbulls (dog of choice for drug dealers in our inner cities), and then we will go after the rest...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in ' I would have done it."

hr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top