Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2001 2:35:51 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting into hunting but there is voice inside me that would effect my heart when I think about shooting a deer...  I wouldn't give a second thought about shooting ducks tho...  

How about you guys?  What have you shot?  Is there an animal you wouldn't shoot for sport?  (Elephant, dolphin, tiger, dog, etc)  And what is it about them that would make you uncomfortable?    
I guess I am just trying to rationalize my hesitations...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I only shoot animals for food, to get rid of a nuisance, mercy pop, or to protect someone/thing.  I never kill animals for "sport".

edited because I left out entire words... jeez.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Any animal I am not hunting when i go out.  I am very species specific.

I would never shoot a raptor of any kind... even if it were legal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No Eagles.  There are very few animals that I will not kill.  Like Stealth said, I don't shoot animals for sport.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
As a sport hunter, I generally like to shoot the biggest turkeys and biggest deer.  It is good management to shoot the oldest, not the youngest.  I do like the meat though, I try to shoot 1 hen turkey a year and 2 toms, 1 mature buck and 2 does.  I also like to hunt rabbits  grouse and quail and varmints.  I draw the line at endangered species unless one is attacking me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the only animal that I would not shoot unless it was them or me would be a bear . Just think about it they can run faster then a man. They can climb faster then a man. They can swim faster them a man. Out of all the animals in the world I think the bear it the one that man fears most because it can do everything we can do most anything we can do but better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only shoot animals for food, to get rid of a nuisance, mercy pop, or to protect someone/thing.  I never kill animals for "sport".
View Quote

That's how I feel about it.  I'll hunt to survive without flinching, and have had to do so in the past, but I think trophy hunting is dumb.  I've shot pests, varmints, and dangerous animals on our land.  The worst was having to shoot one of our dogs after being severely injured in an accident, but we didn't want her to suffer.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well being a hunting guide here in northern wisconsin I hunt just about everything. I have never been a trophy hunter, deer antlers are only good for stirring soup...lol. I love to hunt its part of me and its what I do best, and everything I kill goes to feed my family. As far as feeling bad about killing an animal its normal for lots of ppl, but we're at the top of the food chain and thats the way it goes. And now to answer your original question, I don't kill it unless i'm goin to grill it simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't shoot any large predator (unless it was in self defense) or any endangered species.
No problem shooting any non-endangered plant eater, cute or not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think I could shoot a predator unless they are going after cattle, livestock, family pets or peole.  Other than that, I don't think I could pop a ...., nevermind, yes I could.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Any purposeless kill. Food, pests, war, etc. OK in my book.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Unicorn.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't sport hunt only for meat with the exceptinon of wolves they are fair game.

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Defending human life-any mammal or fish.
Hunting-I respect bears.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Good question.
I'd shoot any animal that needs to be shot.
If it's a survival situation, whether it be for food or immediate protection, it gets whacked.
To shoot something for the skin to wear to keep warm.  Blam.
To shoot it for the skin to walk on, no.
To shoot it for varmint control, yes.
To not shoot particular animals because I like the animal, I'd have to pick the Eagle, Tiger, and Elephant.  I like these animals' inherent intelligence too much to just kill 'em.
Unreasoned killing of animals just isn't "civilized".
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Coyote, mountain lion, bobcat, theres nothing wrong in hunting for pelts only.

You don't eat animals that kill and eat other animals. Bears are iffy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I shoot everything for sport and meat.
I DO NOT shoot [b]domesticated animals[/b] for sport.  That is about the only thing I have a problem shooting.  They are "loved ones" in somebody's family.

Hell I have even shot a mouse with a 30-30.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't consider hunting "sport". If I kill an animal I intend to eat it, skin it or in the case of pests or nuisance animals, eradicate it. But I kill with a purpose that I feel is justifiable in my heart and thats all that matters to me. I don't take the kill lightly but on the other hand it's not a spiritual thing where I feel the need to thank the animals spirit or some such nonsense as that. I can't think of an animal, including a human being that I wouldn't kill under the right circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Billfish ; Marlin, Swordfish, Sailfish, etc...
Their food value is far exceeded by their monetary worth in sport/tourist dollars for the U.S., other developed countries, and especially for 3rd world countries. I'm not arguing about a starvation or survival situation, but their conservation would go a long way if everyone realized that some animals that CAN be eaten, are "worth" a lot more alive than dead.
BTW...if you agree, and see billfish on the menu, ask the management to consider not serving it. I'll bet an explanatory note printed in the menu will snare more customers than the restaurant will lose because they didn't serve it. My2cents                         Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Wouldn't shoot any animal at all if it were not part of sound wildlife management practices.  If hunting forms part of those practices for a specific species in a specific area then the critter is fair game.  

[soapbox]
As sportsmen we must all take a hand in these wildlife management decisions - you may recall a while back when the government was allowed to make the decisions on what gets hunted and how much.  The late President Teddy Roosevelt wrote about it in 'HUNTING TRIPS OF A RANCHMAN' as follows:

'While the slaughter of the buffalo has been in places needless and brutal, and while it is to be greatly regretted that the species is likely to become extinct, and while, moreover, from a purely selfish standpoint many, including myself, would rather see it continue to exist as the chief feature in the unchanged life of the Western wilderness; yet, on the other hand, it must be remembered that its continued existence in any numbers was absolutely incompatible with any thing but a very sparse settlement of this country; and that its destruction was the condition precedent upon the advance of civilization in the west, and was a positive boon to the more thrifty and industrious frontiersmen.'

In other words we can't hunt buffalo today because the government once decided we'd be better off without 'em.  Reason enough to get involved and try to protect our natural resources so they'll be there for future generations.  You'll find that most of the Game and Fish organizations were formed shortly after the destruction of most of the buffalo.

But regardless of legality or sound wildlife management practices, I'd still avoid hunting primates.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
if it tastes good i will kill it.. or if its evil.... do you think that those hambergers were not living a couple of days ago???
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't shoot any large predator (unless it was in self defense) or any endangered species.
No problem shooting any non-endangered plant eater, cute or not.
View Quote

Well said. That gets my vote.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting into hunting but there is voice inside me that would effect my heart when I think about shooting a deer
View Quote

That is a GOOD thing. You should have a level of reverence for the creatures that you kill, especially large, majestic ones like deer. Understand that the guilt you feel prevents you from wantonly slaughtering the animals. It will also help prevent you from being sloppy about how you hunt them. Think you feel guilty killing one? Well try wounding one! That's a load of guilt!
Guilt is good. But don't let it prevent you from assuming your natural role in nature.

Remember: game truly is a gift! Treat it as
such!

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Pussy. I wouldn't kill any Pussy.

What!... is everybody asleep around here!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#28]
It always bothers me a little when I kill something. But I do it to be part of the circle of life. You're another predator. Maybe even prey. I've been 10ft from a timber wolf out in the forest. 15 ft from a bobcat. 75ft from a blackbear. On the ground, eye to eye. None of them ran. They just stared at me until I left. That didn't take long with the bear, though. Not much longer with the wolf. After the wolf I rarely go out without a gun of some sort, never without a knife. Lot of forest up here.
The other animals are prey and are playing their part. And they know the rules. When they're in your sights you pull the trigger because its what you went out to do.
Is that kind of Zen? Sounds like it when I read it.
Besides my dog loves it and expects her treats.

I don't hunt what I don't eat but I'd hunt big predator species, no problem. I figure its pretty damn fair if what your doing is really hunting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Cats of all sizes. Dont hunt them. Self defense is another matter...

umm, that is all I can think of at the moment.

I used to have a soft spot for wild dogs, untill I lost two cats to coyotes after moving to AZ. Still dont hunt them, but will shoot them near our subdivision. Havent had to do it yet thanks to the dogs, every single house on our segment has at least one large dog and most more. We have two. Yotes no longer visit our street so closely. Can still hear them at night though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Tuatara, but I don't hunt anyways...

They can live up to like 100 years.  No shit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#31]
An elephant is about the only game animal I would not shoot. When I joined the service my mom ask me to collect something from every country I visited. I decided to collect bar girls but INS wouldnt let me bring them home so I picked Elephants as my second choice. I now have a big pile of wood, rock, ivory, soap stone elephants carved overseas..

Ropes
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Hawks & Eagles have a special place in my heart, so I wouldn't shoot them.

Pretty much everything else is fair game, wild boar & Grizz I would love to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting into hunting but there is voice inside me that would effect my heart when I think about shooting a deer...  I wouldn't give a second thought about shooting ducks tho...  

View Quote

It is inhumane to not hunt deer.
We build our houses and roads on their pantries and migration routes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If it is hunted with a fair chase and in season, then I'm in.  It is not the size of the horns or antlers that determines the value of the trophy.  It is the demands of the hunt that hold the real value.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#35]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/hkphooey.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
i wouldnt never shoot anything when it would hurt the ecosystem. usually, in iowa, any hunting i do only helps the species anyway. garmetless is right about haveing deep respect for your game. i cant say i would never shoot a big predator, but i wouldnt slaughter one. for example, i dont have any plans to hunt bears in the near future, but maybe someday. i wouldnt shoot one with a .338 WIN mag. i would take it with a big bore that required a close clean shot. i also wont be seen shooting at some heard animal from 3/4 miles away with a magnum. thats not what its all about. however this all changes for varmit. thats jsut diffrent. i have no problem popping cyotes from a long ways distance. and dont even get me started on crows.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd kill anything in self defense (of course) but Iwon't kill anything (I even protect bugs) unless I need to kill it to survive. Everything has a right to life. If I have to feed the family though, somethings getting shot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't have much of a desire to hunt primates; prosimians, monkeys, apes, etc.  I think that makes me a racist. [:\] Oh well..
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I am a sport hunter, who most frequently goes hunting with a shotgun.  When I go out hunting, I am looking for a good shot, at the right animal, at the right time.  Otherwise, I don't shoot.  This is not exactly fire discipline, but is something similar.  The voice that says "don't shoot the animals"?  When my black lab sees me putting on my surplus German camouflage, web-gear and Sears side-by-side 16 gauge, he leaps with pure joy in his anticipation of the hunt to come--and you know what, then I can't hear that voice.

My hunting buddy grew up in Alaska.  He hunts and fishes as if his family would starve to death if he didn't limit out every day.

Get a Labrador mutt and a good hunting buddy and go to it.  The goodness of the hunting memories you make will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think there is anything that I wouldn't kill.Now there are animals that I am fond of that I would have to have a reason to kill but overall I'd kill any animal if it suited me.I used to think I wulodn't kill redtailed hawks until one of them bounced on one of my daughter's kittens I had my Glock on me and that sucker had to die!He was right in front of me ripping a live kitten to shreds.Animals are meant to be killed!By each other,by weather and food conditions and finally by us.I tend to only kill with a reason but there are animals that I am not fond of that I will kill as SOP.Snapping turtles,buzzards,snakes and coyotes/wild dogs i kill with regularity but others like tame dogs who have a taste for livestock and predatory birds give me a little ache in my stomach when I end up having to kill them.I however have absolutley no problem with killing crows,feral hogs,deer,feral house cats that don't have enough sense to run when I walk into my barn(I had one hiss at me and stand it's ground so I slipped out my Glock and sprayed it's brains all over the wall with a 115gr +p+ Winchester Ranger at about 10yds).I don't have any kind of anthropomorphic ideas about animals and don't feel that it is immoral to kill them.I do think it's a shame that we have destroyed so much of their habitat that they end up on my property being a nuisance but it is just a fact of life in this modern age.

As an aside I do have a great fear of ever having to shoot a human.When I hear people who have been infected with a sort of rediculous anthropomorphic ideal that causes them to hate people but love animals I get physically sick when I hear that crap i know that our civilization is on the brink of disaster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Top Top