Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 1:27:12 PM EDT
I'm traveling to Belgium later this month for business, and while I'm over there I'm going to visit family in the Netherlands.  I'm taking along my droid X to use for music, basic navigation and calling home with VOIP (using WiFi).

I don't have any experience with VOIP apps, but I understand I can call landlines in Belgium, the Netherlands and here at home for very reasonable rates using an app like Skpe mobile (or others...any suggestions?).  

My question is, are there any services that allow someone in the Netherlands (and preferably in Texas as well) to make a local call that rings my phone using VOIP over WiFi wherever I am?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get a "real" number assigned through Skype; I believe it's about $60/year for a US number.  I don't know how much they would charge to provide you with an European number that the locals could call.  Although if your contacts in Europe wanted they could always call a US Skype number from a landline...international calls aren't terribly expensive if they have the right phone package.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would mostly be worried about calls from mobile numbers.  

If there isn't an easy way to do it, no big deal. I just figured there might be.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Can it not be done with GrooveIP and a Google Voeice # ?

eta...Google charges for international calls...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can it not be done with GrooveIP and a Google Voice # ?

I don't know.   Tell me about GrooveIP.

Also, Google Voice requires a voice connection, doesn't it?  My CDMA phone won't work in Europe.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
This wont help you at all.

I'd just like to point out that many T-Mobile phones, including my G2x, have WiFi calling. I can connect to WiFi from pretty much anywhere in the world and enjoy unlimited minutes with no roaming charges. At home it means a full blast connection 100% of the time and unlimited minutes as long as I maintain a $39 a month voice plan. I could be anywhere within distance of a WiFi router and any calls to my domestic number will ring right through. It works perfectly. My phone is connected via WiFi right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
No...it uses data...

Haven't personally used it...gets good reviews though...

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I use viber and skype when I call China on WIIFI.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I use viber and skype when I call China on WIIFI.

Viber looks pretty cool...If only my fiancee would ditch her barely-functional dumphone and get something more capable.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Check into a company called Rebtel.com .   I use them to call Thailand all the time and I know they offer Local numbers other countries for calling the US.  All you have to do is sign up and put some money in your account and you can start making calls.  Cheap quick and easy..
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Check into a company called Rebtel.com .   I use them to call Thailand all the time and I know they offer Local numbers other countries for calling the US.  All you have to do is sign up and put some money in your account and you can start making calls.  Cheap quick and easy..

That won't work; it requires that I'm able to make a local call.  I've got a Verizon phone and there's no CDMA service in Western Europe.  It does look like skype is my best bet.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This wont help you at all.

I'd just like to point out that many T-Mobile phones, including my G2x, have WiFi calling. I can connect to WiFi from pretty much anywhere in the world and enjoy unlimited minutes with no roaming charges. At home it means a full blast connection 100% of the time and unlimited minutes as long as I maintain a $39 a month voice plan. I could be anywhere within distance of a WiFi router and any calls to my domestic number will ring right through. It works perfectly. My phone is connected via WiFi right now.

I've used this out of the country as well,  works perfectly.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
i'd just pick up a cheap GSM phone and a SIM card that's good in the countries you're visiting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top