Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 5:54:04 AM EDT
If you've ever read James Lileks, this is another example of his excellent stuff.  If you haven't you're about to get a treat.

This column is in response to a UK columnist's comments about how bad it is for the West to be rich.  Outstanding.

[url=www.lileks.com/screed/monbiot.html]The Screed:  Who’s more miserable - the far right or the far left? [/url]
The former is likely to wash its hands of the modern world, lament how things have gone to hell since the Brits stopped shoving civilization down the ululating maws of Wogland, and announce that you’re all welcome to your polyglot mishmash - I’ll be over here getting smashed on port and reading Patrick O’Brien novels. But at least they seem dedicated to enjoying life on their own terms; if they’re cultural conservatives, they retire to their version of Heston’s apartment in “The Omega Man,” surrounded by the remnants of Western glory, keeping to themselves, and venting their spleen now and then by burping off a few rounds at the moaning zombies outside in the darkened park.

The hard left, on the other hand, demonstrates all the symptoms of anhedonia, or the inability to feel pleasure - there’s a rancid bitterness, a pissy miserablism that makes you feel very, very sorry for them. The world is going to hell, and they’re stuck in the last car with a newspaper they’ve read six times already; the only person they can harangue is sleeping off a skinful of lager, and they’re trying to work up a hot batch of hatred for the woman in the skin-cream ad above the traincar’s window, but she is rather pretty, in a Sloany way. (Bitch.) They’ve given up on convincing the rest of us fools that we’re trampolining with scissors and knives - all they can do is sneer, whine, mope and spit. In high school terms, they’re the skinny spotted unpopular kids who cannot believe the cheerleaders don’t know how wretched their empty lives really are. Sure, they have dates. Sure, they’re going to college. Sure, they’re going to meet big beefy guys with MBAs and end up in a nice house with a big garden, but don’t they know how empty it all is? Don’t they know that their very existence on the planet causes poverty in Peru and kills fish in the Atlantic?
View Quote

Read the whole thing.  You will laugh out loud.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent commentary, and, as they say over there, spot on!

Eric The(Blimey!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm reading his other articles and they are just as funny.

As for aluminum cans, well, I think it goes without saying that they’re all crushed by hand by welfare-to-work recipients making three cents an hour, and shipped to Sierra Leone where desperate locals lick the dried beer from the sharp shards of old Bud containers, thus contributing to America’s shameful record of encouraging alcoholism and tongue laceration in the Third World. They say on a bright day the reflections from Mount Alcoa - as the locals sarcastically call it, and whose maintenance supplies 93% of the area jobs - blinds a rare breed of parrot and forces them to fly into buildings.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh my GOD!  This stuff is seriously funny! It actually made me laugh out loud (much to the interest of my co-workers).

Thanks for the link KBaker!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Consider this snippet:

[b]Which is a completely ridiculous thing to do, since no one wants to break into anyone's house. And if someone does break into your house by accident, well, don’t they have the right to strike a blow against the relentless privatization of the clouds? You can just imagine the conversation at the pawnshop:

"Say, that’s a right nice motorbike. Tike it from a rich man’s gahrage to protest extension of private property to the moon, did ye?"

"Roit you ahr, mite. This’ll tyche th’ bahsteds t’ even consider sendin’ surveyors t’ the spoon-and-jars."

"Sorry, the what?"

"The loon an’ bars, mite. The tune an’ cars."

"What th’ ell are you on about, then?"

"The MOON AND STARS! I’S FOOKIN RHYMING SLANG, AWRITE? JAYSUS!"[/b]

Heh-heh-heh, that's precisely how they sound!

Eric The(Amused)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of evidence suggests that as we become richer, we become less content with ourselves. It is incorrect to say that necessity is the mother of invention. In the rich world, invention is the mother of necessity.

Winner of the 2002 Maureen Dowd Award for Bafflingly Odd Remark the Author Regards as Piercingly Clever.

He reminds me of a political Douglas Adams!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
"Giant abattoir for converting the flesh of third-worlders into sausage"
View Quote

I want one of these! [dracula]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top