Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:41:56 PM EDT
I challenge you that you cannot find the names of the snipers from Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry who saved the asses of the 101st during Operation Anaconda.

Game on.  I betcha can't do it!

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Canada has a military?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Canada has a military?

Sgtar15

I found that out when I was there, it surprised me too
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Canada has a military?

Sgtar15

Seriously, sgt applewhite, those snipers saved many US lives that day.   No joke.

They were awarded US medals for bravery but the Canadian Gov't refused to allow them to accept.

A lot of bullshit if you ask me.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
One of their names is MCPL Alex

2. Master Cpl. "James"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no idea what you are talking about.  But I do know that there are many proud moments in the Canadian militray.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of their names is MCPL Alex

I'm confident that "Alex" will be your only resource that you can locate.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have no idea what you are talking about.  But I do know that there are many proud moments in the Canadian militray.

SGatr15

I'm not familiar with Canadian military history.  But I do know that these particular Canadian snipers were actual real live heroes who were shunned by their own government.

If it wasn't for those Canadian snipers...seriously...many US troops would have died during Operation Anaconda.

Edited to add:  I cannot find their names anywhere.  I'm currently attempting to contact persons in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
www.snipersparadise.com/articles/2430kill.htm
no names yet...
ETA- "Alex" "Warren" and "Ed"
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

I'm not familiar with Canadian military history.  But I do know that these particular Canadian snipers were actual real live heroes who were shunned by their own government.

If it wasn't for those Canadian snipers...seriously...many US troops would have died during Operation Anaconda.

Edited to add:  I cannot find their names anywhere.  I'm currently attempting to contact persons in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Picked up another one for you above

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The gentleman I'm currently interacting with has directed me to a few sources.  He's advised me that there are a lot of false names out there on the internet.  And seeing that you've only come up with first names, I'm assuming that even the false last names are going to be hard to come by.

I will keep everyone posted on it though.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
"Blame Canada..."

er-

"O Canada..."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Canadian snipers Master Cpl. "Warren" left, Cpl. "Ed" center, and Master Cpl. "Alex" watch over Canadian troops in Afghanistan

I also found the name of the individual who debreifed them, but I have to go back through my history to find it. Let me know if you want the name. These guys deserve the Medals.....great men!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Canadian snipers Master Cpl. "Warren" left, Cpl. "Ed" center, and Master Cpl. "Alex" watch over Canadian troops in Afghanistan

www.snipercountry.com/graphics/CoolUnderFire.jpg

I also found the name of the individual who debreifed them, but I have to go back through my history to find it. Let me know if you want the name. These guys deserve the Medals.....great men!

Yes sir!  My goal is to gain their first AND last names.  They are true heroes.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They were awarded US medals for bravery but the Canadian Gov't refused to allow them to accept.

A lot of bullshit if you ask me.

That country is fucked on so many levels.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found something better - hope it helps!

"They were instrumental in helping us achieve our goals out there," said 1st Lieut. Justin Overbaugh, 25, of Missoula, Mont., the soldier who recommended Bill and James for Bronze Stars.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/713521/posts
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found something better - hope it helps!

"They were instrumental in helping us achieve our goals out there," said 1st Lieut. Justin Overbaugh, 25, of Missoula, Mont., the soldier who recommended Bill and James for Bronze Stars.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/713521/posts

Fuckin' A... you are the man.  Thank you, that's a great start.  Thank you, thank you!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I would actually like to thank you for bringing this story to my attention.!

I was just trying to help out, with no prior knowledge of the battle. After reading the details of these Canadians actions, it is a shame to let their story go relatively unnoticed - and their brave service go unrewarded.

I will continue to try and locate any more names or contacts that may assist you. Please keep me updated and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would actually like to thank you for bringing this story to my attention.!

I was just trying to help out, with no prior knowledge of the battle. After reading the details of these Canadians actions, it is a shame to let their story go relatively unnoticed - and their brave service go unrewarded.

I will continue to try and locate any more names or contacts that may assist you. Please keep me updated and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Thank you very much and, yes, I will most certainly keep you informed.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#20]
We should petition the canadian gov't on their behalf. Their canadians and polititians, they will bend over backwards to please us.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I remember this, Canada.gov treats it's military like shit. They should have spent some of that 40 gazillion dollars on that stupid gun registration plan that they are giving up on on some new helicopters, their Sky Kings are falling out the sky like mallards during duck season.

One of those snipers also got written up for some chickenshit charge at about that time. I think he arguably has one of the longest recorded sniper shots.

You are correct on both points.  If memory serves correctly, the charges stemmed from the awarding of the U.S. medals.  When the trooper was advised he could not recieve the awards for bravery he respectfully protested.  He was charged with insubordination.

That was the longest shot.  Canada doesn't want to take credit for it though - because its related to violence.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]
OK - just got off the phone with a friend of mine.  He was told by an associate of the Canadian troops that they wish to remain out of the public eye.

I did however, find out one of the names.  But I'll respect their wishes and not post it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why?

No offense intended but what business is it of yours?  If you needed to know that information would be public.

There is a reason why these men's names are kept 'hidden' - its called OPSEC.  The Fithly-scum-sucking-goat-boffing-towel-wearing terrorists would LOVE to know the full names of Snipers and Spec Ops guys (which is why they are not published).  Those twisted-sheep-f*&king twits would love to extract revenge on their families.

Just leave it alone.  Their annonimity is part of the protection for them and their families.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

No offense intended but what business is it of yours?  If you needed to know that information would be public.

There is a reason why these men's names are kept 'hidden' - its called OPSEC.  The Fithly-scum-sucking-goat-boffing-towel-wearing terrorists would LOVE to know the full names of Snipers and Spec Ops guys (which is why they are not published).  Those twisted-sheep-f*&king twits would love to extract revenge on their families.

Just leave it alone.  Their annonimity is part of the protection for them and their families.

I don't think he wanted to call the news paper with the info, he was just trying to think of a way to reward them for their duty, and thank them, and make sure people who actually deserve medals get them.

It is too bad that the world is the way it is...so it is dangerous to even mention their names
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Are these the ones who scored a confirmed kill at 2800 meters with a Barrett?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't think he wanted to call the news paper with the info, he was just trying to think of a way to reward them for their duty, and thank them, and make sure people who actually deserve medals get them.

It is too bad that the world is the way it is...so it is dangerous to even mention their names

I'm sure you're correct.  Palo is a good guy - but making that info public is not a good thing.  Posting here - or even indicating it's possible to find it on the net makes it public.

Best way to thank them is keep their 'true identities' a secret.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK - just got off the phone with a friend of mine.  He was told by an associate of the Canadian troops that they wish to remain out of the public eye.

I did however, find out one of the names.  But I'll respect their wishes and not post it.

I'm quoting myself for the benefit of Forest.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm quoting myself for the benefit of Forest.

Palo, I saw that - however I thought the topic important enough to cover in case others are thinking the same thing.  There is a reason for the anonymity of these kind of soldiers and you provided a good venue for pointing it out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top