Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
England sent advisors to the South.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
English mills needed Southern cotton
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't really compare the two. News took months to travel across the ocean; now it's almost instant. Chemical weapons were not used against civilians (though terror tactics were employeed, like burning of cities).

And of course, like others mentioned, England did poke their nose in.

Over all, warfare was very different then than it is now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't France float us a small loan?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Nations weren't supposed to interfere with the internal affairs of another nation.  Post-war Great Britain was successfully sued by the U.S. for supplying the Confederacy.

Now, had the Confederacy proved itself viable, it may have been recognized.  French Emperor Louis Napoleon certainly wanted to recognize the Confederacy but wouldn't do it unless Great Britain acted similarly.  After the  Emancipation Proclamation, it was no longer feasible to have foreign intervention.  No nation wanted to come out in support of slavery.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't France float us a small loan?
View Quote

and weapons, powder, other things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What would have happened if other countries got involved in our civil war?  Which side would they have picked?
View Quote

You failed history too
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
hahahahahaha what?

You could say every country was involved.

Welcome male immigrant, your family will be safe here! Now heres a musket, get on that train!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the reasons for The Emancipation Proclomation was to keep France from helping the south.
The French did not like the idea of slavery and it kept them out.
he Brits did help some and many nations traded with the south.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty interesting, two civil war ships battle of coast of France
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/civilwar/cw-cru/kear-ala.htm
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Selling war goods is common practice.  Civil war is no exception.  Free trade.

Joining a side, pulling triggers, and making kills is different.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not in a total war situation, it's not.  (Our Civil War resembled core principles of  total war, in many aspects.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
On a covert level, the Brits allowed shipyards to build commerce raiders like the CSS Alabama, and sell cannons to the Confederacy (the ships were armed in the Azores). After the war, the United States government sued the U.K. for the damages these ships caused.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
ah the state of the world will be in when CW3 starts at home...

China snapping up every thing they want that borders them.

Israel having to defend its self from a Collection of allied Islamic extremest states that we helped build...

Russia being Russia.

Major EU economy's falling out do to a lack of products from the US/China.

Canada having to try and support the masses of fleeing US citizens.

Open war between north and south Korea.

It will be a sad time and one the world is never likely to recover from.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Israel having to defend its self from a Collection of allied Islamic extremest states that we helped build...

Russia being Russia.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe I should be more clear and stuff. Boots on the ground. The equivalent of dropping bombs. Things like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would have happened if other countries got involved in our civil war?  Which side would they have picked?

You failed history too

Maybe I should be more clear and stuff. Boots on the ground. The equivalent of dropping bombs. Things like that.

Pretty sure foreign military advisors counseled their own nations against sending troops after witnessing the First Battle of Bull Run.   Something about our war being a meat grinder and anyone they sent would only come home in a pine box.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
several Mexican states were giving aid to the South and several Governors had given word that if the South won, they would join the Confederate States in the new government. like others have said, England had advisors on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]
England supplied the Confederacy with about 300,000 Enfield rifles.

And as already mentioned they sold Confederate agents an unarmed fast ship, it was named the CSS Alabama. The Rebs armed it and turned it into a warship.

The Alabama's record of commerce raiding still stands to this day. She destroyed, sank or captured more US ships than any other ship, ever.

The US sued England after the war, over the Alabama totally trashing their commerce fleet, and actually won the case. It was known as the Alabama Claims and England paid 15.5 million in damages.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
For all of our current making fun of France here in the US, we don't know our own history.

France, threw in with US after the Battle of Saratoga.  To the tune of about 13 billion dollars. (today's dollars), their Navy across the globe, and also blockading the Brits at "their" own ports in the new world, and putting pressure on around the world.  (at this point France tossed in with "the rebels" and it was war.)   I know they put "boots on the ground" in some cases 3000 French to assist 2000 US forces, such as in Newport.  

France did so, once they saw the rebellion had a chance, and because they wanted to weaken England's global grip.  Enemy of my enemy is my friend?  Proxie war?  Yup.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, France certainly took the opportunity to try an end run around the Monroe Doctrine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]
If we had a current civil war, say the gov tries to take our guns or whatever and there is mass resistance. Would other countries intervene and who's side would they pick?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#24]
The French?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Ever wonder what our population would be if the civil war never happened?  Watched Gettysburg other day and couldn't help but think of all the extra people living today if all those people lived to have 3-10 kids each k stead of being killed in battle.

We could easily be 3x the population today.

Wheather that's a good thing or not I'll let someone else argue.  Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
The French were going to send assistance to the south but the south lost a major battle which turned the tide of the war and the French knew shit wouldn't be good if they helped the side that lost.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For all of our current making fun of France here in the US, we don't know our own history.

France, threw in with US after the Battle of Saratoga.  To the tune of about 13 billion dollars. (today's dollars), their Navy across the globe, and also blockading the Brits at "their" own ports in the new world, and putting pressure on around the world.  (at this point France tossed in with "the rebels" and it was war.)   I know they put "boots on the ground" in some cases 3000 French to assist 2000 US forces, such as in Newport.  

France did so, once they saw the rebellion had a chance, and because they wanted to weaken England's global grip.  Enemy of my enemy is my friend?  Proxie war?  Yup.
View Quote

Wrong war dude.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And as already mentioned they sold Confederate agents an unarmed fast ship, it was named the CSS Alabama. The Rebs armed it and turned it into a warship.

The Alabama's record of commerce raiding still stands to this day. She destroyed, sank or captured more US ships than any other ship, ever.

The US sued England after the war, over the Alabama totally trashing their commerce fleet, and actually won the case. It was known as the Alabama Claims and England paid 15.5 million in damages.
View Quote

Best book on CSS Alabama is "Memoirs of Service Afloat During the War Between the States" by the Captain Raphael Semmes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wrong war dude.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong war dude.  

Yea, that was Americas first war of independence, we won that one. We are talking about our second war of independence.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yea, that was Americas first war of independence, we won that one. We are talking about our second war of independence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong war dude.  

That would be the War of 1812, try again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#32]
active diplomacy on both sides.

England was sympathetic to the south, but didn't want to eat a shit sandwich if the south lost.

one of the stated reasons for Lee to go to pennsylvania was a sign of strength for the british to see if they could get more support.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Because only we are dumb enough to get involved in someone else's civil war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Benito Juarez supported the Union.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Federal Enfield Rifles

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong war dude.  

In the War of 1812, we were defending our country from a foreign invasion. That's not considered a war of independence.

The Civil War was about the Confederacy defending their country from a foreign invasion.

Wait a minute, you might be correct.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
England sent advisors to the South.
View Quote

They were also blockade running to get supplies in and cotton out if my memory of history serves me correctly.  I think it was halfway through the war before our blockades were actually working to starve the confederacy of war materials.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Funny (not really), but was thinking about that this morning.....  My question:  Will we see another Civil War inside our boundaries?  If so, how soon?  A conversation with my father a year or two ago, I told him I could see it happening within the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, France certainly took the opportunity to try an end run around the Monroe Doctrine.
View Quote

Bullshit.   The Mexican people were crying out for an Imperial system of government.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ever wonder what our population would be if the civil war never happened?  Watched Gettysburg other day and couldn't help but think of all the extra people living today if all those people lived to have 3-10 kids each k stead of being killed in battle.

We could easily be 3x the population today.

Wheather that's a good thing or not I'll let someone else argue.  Just food for thought.
View Quote

Ummmm......  seriously?

Put down the pipe, bro.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In the War of 1812, we were defending our country from a foreign invasion. That's not considered a war of independence.

The Civil War was about the Confederacy defending their country from a foreign invasion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong war dude.  

I am.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Because they were hoping we would do to ourselves what we want the Syrians to do... Which is to kill each other off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#43]
It was too close to call.  The North had resource advantage, and the south had determination and home field advantage (most of the time).

Nobody wants to side with the loser.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Best book on CSS Alabama is "Memoirs of Service Afloat During the War Between the States" by the Captain Raphael Semmes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With apologies to all Yankee  sympathizers here, one thing for sure, Raphael Semmes is the most successful American ships captain ever, when it comes to the sheer number of  enemy ships he thumped.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia being Russia.

lol

Yep, our country will forever be at peace with itself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#46]
In a nutshell, it was geography and Northern industrial and military power that prevented direct foreign intervention.

First, the logistics of an involvement would have been difficult to manage because the European supply chain would have stretched across the Atlantic. Given the transportation technology of the time and the distances involved it would have been very difficult and expensive to land and supply sufficient troops to intervene directly with military forces on par with whatever force any European power could have mustered and set across the ocean.

The naval power of the North meant that shipping largely went where the North wanted it to go - and no European power of the time had the naval power to challenge the North while simultaneously maintaining their overseas empires and their ability to fight other European powers as well. This also plays into the logistics problem since the North could guarantee that direct intervention on the side of the South would fail using naval power. The North also had the naval power to take the war to anyone trying to get involved on the side of the South as well.

Finally, the North did not need military assistance from abroad nor did they need supply from abroad. The North could produce enough weapons and supplies to fight the war and hence did not require direct foreign intervention to win. While the South did have European allies at the start of the war none of those allies were militarily powerful enough nor was the South economically valuable enough to justify intervening on their side.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Great Britain was actually very close to intervening on behalf of the South before Antietam.  The problem was public opinion back home in England and France.  Antietam was the victory the Union needed to finally launch the Emancipation Proclamation as they had suffered nothing but defeats till that point.  This changed the narrative of the war and made it harder for England and France to justify intervening to their own people as slavery was very unpopular back home.  That, above all else, was Lincoln's motives for the EP.  It worked and the South lost.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

There were some Canadians that fought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

And unfortunately for Mexico, the U.S. ended up backing him against Emperor Maximilian.  The brief period of Habsburg rule is probably the best period of rule that the country ever had.  I guess for the U.S. a murderous socialist was better than a liberal monarch from a European dynasty.

Anyhow, I recall reading something about a small amount of support for the Confederacy on the part of the 2nd Empire and also that a few Confederate formations still intact at the end of the war (sometime after Lee's surrender) were permitted to retreat into Mexico rather than surrender.  I think they even ended up establishing a town or something near the border.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering he had a Hapsburg emperor installed by Louis Napoleon he wanted ousted and that the US Govt wanted him out too , why not?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top