User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2022 5:09:46 PM EDT
Pretty damn impressive.

56 Miles (90 km) Above Earth - Successful Amateur Rocket Launch
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You can tell it's fake because the horizon curves and it would have hit the firmament before it got that high.

(I'm only joking because of the flat earth posts we've had here.)

That's awesome. Estes rocket on steroids. You could tell how excited those dudes were when everything worked.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That went just a slight bit higher than the Estes model rocket my son and I built.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That is pretty damn cool. I wonder how much it cost to develop and build.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, shame there was no ufos
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Over 55 miles.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool. One thing I can say about rocket people is they are super dedicated. It’s ironic this was posted. I let the rocket club launch from my property. They have a launch scheduled for tomorrow.  I’m not a rocket guy myself but these guys needed a place to launch from so I let them have monthly events when the burn ban is off and no cows are in the nearest field. Attendance varies from a handful of groups to fairly good size. The groups will come from around WA and OR. Some have  elaborate support vans, trucks and trailers.  Colleges and high schools come sometimes. A group from Blue Origin has came a few times. None of these groups have went nearly as high as in the vid but impressive none the less. They get some cool onboard camera footage. Like I said I’m just an observer but it’s cool to watch. Thanks for the vid link.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool, shame there was no ufos
View Quote

Funny you mention that…

Nevermind. Not in the mood for a GD thrashing today.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty amazing.  
The only thing that could make it better was not so much spinning so you could see stuff better.   But the go pro losing video helped from that standpoint.
The first time I saw a high power rocket was at the AMA model aviation site in Muncy IN a number of years ago.   My first reaction was "Holy Shit!"   My little Estes and some other odd brand rockets from my childhood were not even in the same ballpark

Would be interesting to see what steps they had to got through with the FAA to authorize a flight like this and how they work with airliners and military to clear their launch area.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That went just a slight bit higher than the Estes model rocket my son and I built.

View Quote
Last Estes I tried to launch went up about 15 feet, the motor mount shifted, the engine burnt the tail off, and it spun like a top over everyone's head until the engine gave out
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
with a $200 stamp, he could have a ballistic missile....just saying.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can tell it's fake because the horizon curves and it would have hit the firmament before it got that high.

(I'm only joking because of the flat earth posts we've had here.)

That's awesome. Estes rocket on steroids. You could tell how excited those dudes were when everything worked.
View Quote

There are SOOOO many things that can go wrong; they're lucky when it's a pre- ignition abort!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool. One thing I can say about rocket people is they are super dedicated. It’s ironic this was posted. I let the rocket club launch from my property. They have a launch scheduled for tomorrow.  I’m not a rocket guy myself but these guys needed a place to launch from so I let them have monthly events when the burn ban is off and no cows are in the nearest field. Attendance varies from a handful of groups to fairly good size. The groups will come from around WA and OR. Some have  elaborate support vans, trucks and trailers.  Colleges and high schools come sometimes. A group from Blue Origin has came a few times. None of these groups have went nearly as high as in the vid but impressive none the less. They get some cool onboard camera footage. Like I said I’m just an observer but it’s cool to watch. Thanks for the vid link.
View Quote

Are you in my AO?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would be interesting to see what steps they had to got through with the FAA to authorize a flight like this and how they work with airliners and military to clear their launch area.
View Quote

Had to be a hell of a lot of red tape. Once they worked things out with the FAA, the FAA would probably created a restricted area within controlled airspace but the rocket went WAY above controlled airspace. No idea what they had to do to work that out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Last Estes I tried to launch went up about 15 feet, the motor mount shifted, the engine burnt the tail off, and it spun like a top over everyone's head until the engine gave out
View Quote

I built a kit Estes rocket, I did something wrong.
When the motor lit off the rocket didn't move and the engine tore lose from the rocket.
That fucker flew like a "Ground Bloom Flower" firework.  

I built another one, the upper wire guide rod tube on the side of the rocket broke lose and caused the rocket to tilt after the engine lit off.
It bent the guide wire rod and the rocket took off sideways.
It flew straight and level.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
That is freaking awesome. And not only is the rocket cool, they did a GREAT job on that video.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is freaking awesome. And not only is the rocket cool, they did a GREAT job on that video.
View Quote

This, very cool. Thanks op!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
That’s pretty cool.
Makes me want to launch one
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a kitchenaid mixer... what recipe for space oatmeal?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Had to be a hell of a lot of red tape. Once they worked things out with the FAA, the FAA would probably created a restricted area within controlled airspace but the rocket went WAY above controlled airspace. No idea what they had to do to work that out.
View Quote

FILING FOR FAA LAUNCH AUTHORIZATION
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I built a kit Estes rocket, I did something wrong.
When the motor lit off the rocket didn't move and the engine tore lose from the rocket.
That fucker flew like a "Ground Bloom Flower" firework.  

I built another one, the upper wire guide rod tube on the side of the rocket broke lose and caused the rocket to tilt after the engine lit off.
It bent the guide wire rod and the rocket took off sideways.
It flew straight and level.  
View Quote
We need to start a new Dysfunctional Rocket Club man
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It is really cool. Of course they drive Rav 4's and Honda Elements....

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm surprised it didn't find the one tree in the desert to get stuck in on the way down
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
There but for fortune go a small circle of friends

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-dc-circuit/1143934.html
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
friend of mine lives in Orlando and used to work part time at a hobby shop. He had a few customers that were legit Martin Marietta rocket scientist and at least one that built his own rocket at home and launched it at White Sands
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
with a $200 stamp, he could have a ballistic missile....just saying.
View Quote

The rocket was ballistic for the majority of its flight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm surprised it didn't find the one tree in the desert to get stuck in on the way down
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The rocket was ballistic for the majority of its flight.
View Quote

Keyword is missile as in with a warhead
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
So that's more than double the altitude that Felix Baumgartner jumped at and needed a damn spacesuit to do so.

Wow.

So I've always wondered if it was possible for a civilian to reach space with a rocket, and now I know.

I've also always wondered what would happen if you launched a rocket like that from a balloon platform like the one Baumgartner used.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Just curious….

How well do these model rockets launch horizontally?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#33]
That is incredible!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Last one we did, I tried to reuse a 3d printed rocket that was still a little soft from the previous launch.  One of the boys touched it off and whoosh, I thought "wow that one's got some kick", that smoke trail was moving!

The engine had blown right through the mount, body, nose, and did an engine only flight. lol

Quoted:
So that's more than double the altitude that Felix Baumgartner jumped at and needed a damn spacesuit to do so.

Wow.

So I've always wondered if it was possible for a civilian to reach space with a rocket, and now I know.

I've also always wondered what would happen if you launched a rocket like that from a balloon platform like the one Baumgartner used.

I've always been curious as to how feasible launching smaller rockets and payloads from a hydrogen barge would be.  I guess velocity is velocity and you've got to have it no matter what to achieve orbit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#35]
And to think, if I shot my 30-06 straight up into the air at a squirrel y'all would be chastising me for not knowing where my bullet was going to come down.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, my water rockets got to about 50 feet.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Very cool.   I wish I knew someone who did that stuff; I have so many questions on details.   Fascinating!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just curious….

View Quote

Yeah, but why would you want to?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Jesus, and I get excited when I dremel something and don’t screw it up… That is IMPRESSIVE.

I bet the FAA is a pita to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Very cool.   I wish I knew someone who did that stuff; I have so many questions on details.   Fascinating!
View Quote

Yea, would be nice to be in a place where people have interests. I've spent thousands trying to set up ham radio repeaters, drones, etc... and trying to get other hobbies going. It seems most are just drones that watch NFL, eat, sleep, and go to work over and over with zero interest in anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious….

It’d be easier to hit London?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Launched from the area of Burning Man

Nice view of Pyramid Lake
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just curious….

View Quote

My high school buddy and I were dedicated pyros.

They lauch just fine horizontally. We...ahem...'experimented' with incendiary payloads quite a lot.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#45]
That was pretty cool
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
More details here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-mesos-a-two-stage-flight-to-293-488-ft.175175/

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I bet it landed on his neighbor's roof.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got a kitchenaid mixer... what recipe for space oatmeal?
View Quote

This!   Anyone know the recipe?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I built one awhile ago.  I must have put the wrong engine in it.  Took off so fast I couldn't see it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yea, would be nice to be in a place where people have interests. I've spent thousands trying to set up ham radio repeaters, drones, etc... and trying to get other hobbies going. It seems most are just drones that watch NFL, eat, sleep, and go to work over and over with zero interest in anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a coworker who is an aeronautical engineer that used to do high powered rocketry as a hobby.  There's an old Discovery Channel video of one of his team's rockets having an anomaly on the pad.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top