Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 12:33:27 AM EDT
I have to take a road trip next month to Amarillo can anyone tell me a good place to get a good steak and place to hang my hat for the night?
thanks for any info
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Well...for a BIG steak the Big Texan Steakhouse on East I40 is popular.  There are probably BETTER places but the Texan's parking lot is always full.

About places to stay...PLEASE find one for me.  I travel thru there a few times a year and I've NEVER found a good place.  Amarillo is a waypoint for travellers but mostly overniters so most motels are not fancy.

And watch out about staying at any place on the west side of town.  When the winds are out of the south the smell from the stockyards can knock you over.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And watch out about staying at any place on the west side of town.  When the winds are out of the south the smell from the stockyards can knock you over.
View Quote

LOL

Yea I lived there for ten years, and you are actually smelling hereford TX.

A good place to eat is county barn steak house, just ask your motel clerk they will know where it is at.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The Big texan steakhouse on I40 that sounds good
thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are you goin' to Texas? You don't tell me anything anymore!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
ar10er...not Hereford!!!  D@mn!  When I was younger I got my hair cut by an extremely bodacious heifer from Hereford.  As I was acquainted with most all the gentlemen's clubs in Dallas at that time, I had a good perspective to make that claim.

Some lucky B got hold of her and got her out of town to Lake Palestine FAST.

I always had fond thoughts of Hereford, Texas until you told me that.  Another young man's dream shattered.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to take Alana to see her dad.he lives in tenn. and that is the 1/2 way point.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I suppose air travel is out of the question, eh?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No air travel for my 5year old with out me on the same plane and with the rest of my family. It's probably just a woman thing!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Travel lodge or La Quinta but make reservations the motels fill up fast. The mason jar or the cattleman barbecue in the mall. Travel lodge east if you want to eat at the Big Texan and be close
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never had a good steak in Amarillo, sorry to say.  Usually end up eating @ Cracker Barrel.
Don't think lodging will be too much a problem if you don't arrive too late.  If you want to push a little further OKC isn't that much further, and lots of good food / lodging along Meridan.  If you have time, and like ribs, eat @ The Rendevous in Memphis (near Peabody Hotel).  Best ribs I've had.  BTW, the are closed on Monday.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I stayed at a place in Amarillo called the Fairfield Inn when I went down to see my folks a couple of months ago. It’s new, clean and it’s off I40, which helps. There's a Japanese steak house about 3 blocks from the motel. (cant remember the name)Good Kirin beer and a great steak.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It is sad to say that there is not a really good steak in Amarillo.  I have lived in the area for almost 15 years now, and the last time I ate there was a pretty decent place.  It was at a Japanese steak house a few miles South of the Westgate Mall one the far West side of town.  Wish i could tell you the name but it escapes me at this moment.  If you would settle for a good burger, there is a place called Cecils Last Chance Bar and Grill on the east side of I-40 heading towards Ft. Worth.  They make a mean Chili Chese burger for a pretty fair price.  It's just a little redneck bar and doesn't look like much but it should be worth it if it hasnt't changed since the last time i was there.  As for lodging, I almost never opt for the fancy places, if it has a bed and a shower and no bugs it is good enough for me.  The days in or the Travelers Lodge ought to be good enough fer ya.  Hope this helps ya out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking of Amarillo, what/where is that hamburger joint that makes those pizza sized hamburgers??? We used to stop there when I was going throught the MEP's program (bout 10yrs ago). Would love to go back to that joint and grab up one of those again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know where to get good food in Amarillo, but my cousins up in Fritch and Pampa sure do know how to grill them up right.  I guess that's not what you were looking for, though.

I stayed in a really nice hotel when I drove through back in '93 but I can't remember the name of it.  It was 1:00 am when we got there, we left before noon and we were on our honeymoon so the name of the hotel wasn't a big concern. [}:D] I remember that it was on the north side of 40, the bed was big and firm, and we were on the 5th or 6th floor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top