Posted: 7/27/2023 12:57:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EvoXGunner]
http://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbytown-acquisition/cp1378
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sick of mega corps in general
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting move, but I am not sure I see the benefit for Amain.  Most (all?) of the HobbyTown stores are franchises.  HobbyTown and Amain have had intertwined websites and supply chains for a while.

Amain also owns Performance Bike and Nashbar, two former giant retailers in the bicycling world.

Amain has been fine and I order stuff from them once in a while.  Never had an issue.

Local HobbyTown is pretty terrible and is really more of a general toy store.  Some tend towards that, some are okay.  One in Tulsa is okay and one in San Antonio used to be pretty decent.  Nature of a franchise I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
View Quote

Well I am too but being where I am, the local HT doesn't carry 90% of what I need. I get most of my parts/electronics and miscellaneous from Amain. Here is a recent order I'm waiting on now

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:

Well I am too but being where I am, the local HT doesn't carry 90% of what I need. I get most of my parts/electronics and miscellaneous from Amain. Here is a recent order I'm waiting on now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493937/Screenshot_20230727-074212_Chrome_jpg-2899446.JPG

View Quote

Our local HobbyClown is particularly bad.  I visit maybe once every 18 months to remind myself why I don't bother.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to two stores in Dallas, hit and miss to get what you need. I asked one of the guys there for something and he started looking around, saying he worked at multiple stores as needed, so I'm assuming the franchise there is owned by the same people. But even then, varied inventories between the stores.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The HobbyTown website has a way to search local inventory.  It isn't great, but is there.

My local store has a bunch of old ARF parts crap that no one wants to buy.  Owner was complaining about no one buying his inventory a while back.  On the airplane/boat/car side it is pretty much just Horizon BnF planes.

That is why buddies call me if they are looking for something airplane related.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A Main will be Horizon before to long if not already.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StretchMaK:
A Main will be Horizon before to long if not already.
View Quote

Horizon is 10+ times as big as AMain.

Wish they would sell off any rights they have to Great Planes and Carl Goldberg.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I meant that A Main will get sucked up by Horizon soon enough.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotcha, I doubt it makes any business sense for HH.  AMain is probably one of their biggest customers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Amain.  I order quite a bit from them.  Their search function actually works, unlike RPP Hobby.  Hopefully they dont get gobbled up by the Horizon Hobby machine like so many others have.  Really seems like a tough market.

Originally Posted By broken_reticle:
Interesting move, but I am not sure I see the benefit for Amain.  Most (all?) of the HobbyTown stores are franchises.  HobbyTown and Amain have had intertwined websites and supply chains for a while.

Amain also owns Performance Bike and Nashbar, two former giant retailers in the bicycling world.

Amain has been fine and I order stuff from them once in a while.  Never had an issue.

Local HobbyTown is pretty terrible and is really more of a general toy store.  Some tend towards that, some are okay.  One in Tulsa is okay and one in San Antonio used to be pretty decent.  Nature of a franchise I suppose.
View Quote

I have been quite a few of them.  I was in the one in Tulsa last week.  Its pretty good.  They actually had some crawler upgrades.  Their lack of employees saved me a couple hundred bucks since nobody would open the cabinet so I could buy some wheels.  The only thing I get at the one local to me is paint.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Amain.  If what I order ships out of Charlotte I often get it the next day.  We have a Hobbytown about 60 miles away and it is okay.  I don't know if being owned by Amain will hurt it in the long run or not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 7:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#13]
I miss the Tower Hobbies of the early 2000s.

And the original Hobby-Lobby.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

Truth.  Getting the Tower Talk every month was the high point.  HL catalogs were more like a couple a year, but man, they had some sweet stuff.  

And LHS like Orange Blossom down in Miami.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Wish they would sell off any rights they have to Great Planes and Carl Goldberg.  
View Quote

What’d they keep? three great planes?   In fact the PT19 they already reworked it some and preoutfitted it with electronics and rebadged as a hanger 9,   I have one of the last Great Planes versions I bought from Tower Hobbies aka Horizon with a mask on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

It's the enevitabilty of crony capitalism (devoid of ethics) and global markets.  In the short term the consumer sees a positive, in the long run the consumer loses.  

I hate mega corps as well.  They become impossible to compete with and can steal/strong-arm innovation out of the market.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

What’d they keep? three great planes?   In fact the PT19 they already reworked it some and preoutfitted it with electronics and rebadged as a hanger 9,   I have one of the last Great Planes versions I bought from Tower Hobbies aka Horizon with a mask on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Something like that.  Pretty much disappeared most of the planes from TF, Goldberg and GP.  Horizon seems to just be foamies for life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

In the 90s I read the 300 page Tower Hobbies catalog and circled stuff like most kids read Toys R Us catalogs.

I miss those days. Sure, the Internet is convenient, but it felt more special back then
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
It's the enevitabilty of crony capitalism (devoid of ethics) and global markets.  In the short term the consumer sees a positive, in the long run the consumer loses.  
I hate mega corps as well.  They become impossible to compete with and can steal/strong-arm innovation out of the market.
View All Quotes
this is a huge deal that is hard to measure
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

True.  However,  the flip side is the possible market has changed a lot.  Home laser cutters, CNC foam cutters amd 3D printers have made it easier than ever for someone to make kits at home.  

I wish Horizon would at least consider releasing some of their foamies without the DSMX receivers.  
Top Top