Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:08:58 PM EDT
I was about 180lbs (Sort of overweight, I guess) pre-11/2/05, then the girl I was planning to propose to this Christmas snapped mentally and dumped me for an absolute loser. Since then I've dropped down to 149. I'm 5-11. My parents know all the crap that's happened in the past weeks and got worried because I've lost so much weight. However, is it really that big of a concern? They don't like the fact that I don't eat a lot everyday like I used to (Of course, one of my reasons for happiness is gone, but that's just me).

Can't seem to find one of those body mass index things online, so HIVEMIND..umm....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, go get a sandwich for the love of God!

Losing 30 pounds that quickly is not good for you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
$1.50 is pretty light for an adult.

+1, at that weight you had better be able to see a 6er in the mirror.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
After Jesse left me my muscle mass went to hell fast. Quit working out, all night shrimp eating contests between myself and my buddies didn't happen. I'm going to start pumping Iron again for the first time in 3 months.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I weigh 158 and am 6'2".  I have 5% body fat, and work out in the weight room 4 times a week, run 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day.  Your not underweight.  If you started working out now you would be set up great to put on muscle mass instead of fat.  Take advantage of your situation.  Working out will also increase your desire to EAT MORE.  But it will be ok to do so since you will be burning more calories.  If you don't want to though...nothing wrong with 5'11" and 150.  

-Ben

ETA:  I just saw your post on you starting the iron again, good to hear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
At 5 11 you should be in the 180 range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Im about that height and weigh around 135-140.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
At 5 11 you should be in the 180 range.

Of course this post coming from a Fat Cobra...keep that in mind.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
make this a poll!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
From the National Institutes of Health - National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute

www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/learn-it/bmi-chart.htm
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
At least you're not fat. I'd rather be your weight and start packing on muscle instead of worrying about losing a ton of weight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Hubby is 5 11 and 145.  He looks fine.  Thin, but healthy.  He couldn't gain weight if he tried.

That said, losing thirty pounds in two months is scary.  You need to eat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
When I left for AF Basic Training I was 150. At the end of training I weighed in at 113 and I am 5-7.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From the National Institutes of Health

um, yea.  i am 6'3.  at 250 i have a little bit of a pot belly.  at 220 i look skinny.  200 and i look like i have a eating disorder.  their target for me is...   176?  i would look like i came out of a concentration camp.  BMI is total bull shit.  no, i take that back.  it's dangerous.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

um, yea.  i am 6'3.  at 250 i have a little bit of a pot belly.  at 220 i look skinny.  200 and i look like i have a eating disorder.  their target for me is...   176?  i would look like i came out of a concentration camp.  BMI is total bull shit.  no, i take that back.  it's dangerous.  

152-192
Lean, mean, fighting machine!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am 6'3"  and  230,  I would like to be  a lean 220, hitting the  gym  starting  tomorrow  so hopefully  by  spring that is  the case.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm 5'8" 120lbs, can't gain weight no matter what I try. I am in excellent physical condition and dont consider it a problem, it depends on your build. If you lost that much weight, however, due to emotional trauma, consider seeking a friendly ear on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Too bad we can't arrange a transplant. I've got 50 lbs you could have.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

31 pounds in 3 years 2 months is not losing wieght fast.
149 pounds at 5' 11" is very light however.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
WooHoo I'm not a fat ass 5'7" 172 lbs at 27 BMI.   Wife says i need to get out and exercise, what does she know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
What you really need is to eat.

Eat more pussy! That will help you out more than any fast weight gain meals. It will go to the heart of the issue, lack of self confidence.  I know you're heart broken. Suck it up & get on with life. Get yourself some hot babe and do it. That will do wonders for you.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I lost 50lbs in a matter of three months, do you think thats bad? guess not drinkin and actually working over a summer does it to you...and i think im now healthier then ever
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Im about that height and weigh around 135-140.

I'm 6' and I'm 155.
lean and mean baby, lean and mean.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
You will eat when you need to eat - but yes, that sounds a bit underweight. It's hard to recover from a broken heart but you will.

Try to think of all of the reasons she will be regretting losing you. Focus on the positive things about yourself. You don't need to be with someone who is that shallow. Give yourself some time to recover and focus on YOU not her.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Fadedsun, you just need to start eating and pumping again.  And develop a little perspective.  I had something similar happen a while back and it is really hard when someone 180's like that and just drops you.  But after you get your happiness back (it will happen) and start remembering who and why you are those 30 pounds you lost are going to seem a lot more important that those 110 pounds that suddenly left.  

Buck up and develop some tasty abs for the next woman that comes along.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it happened November 2nd, 2005. Not 2002. Ma'bad.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]
180 was to skinny man
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 on whomever said BMI is total bullshit.

Bodyfat percentage is the real judge, everyone should be judged rather by their percentage
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You will eat when you need to eat - but yes, that sounds a bit underweight. It's hard to recover from a broken heart but you will.

Try to think of all of the reasons she will be regretting losing you. Focus on the positive things about yourself. You don't need to be with someone who is that shallow. Give yourself some time to recover and focus on YOU not her.

What hurts is that she was a sweet girl with a dark past and has turned against everyone who ever loved her. She was born In costa Rica, almost murdered by her mom (Held her head under the water for like 4 minutes) and was adopted by a family from America. She ran away from home a week before my birthday in July of 05. I was planning to ask her to marry me this Christmas after being together for little over 1 1/2. She was an absolutely drop dead gorgeous latino girl, and to boot really wanted to get into Fadedsun's pants . Of course I wanted to too, but Ihad to marry her first.

Quoted:
What you really need is to eat.

Eat more pussy! That will help you out more than any fast weight gain meals. It will go to the heart of the issue, lack of self confidence.  I know you're heart broken. Suck it up & get on with life. Get yourself some hot babe and do it. That will do wonders for you.

How do I cook a cat? I'm pretty sure killing cats for food is illegal, somehow.

Oh wait, not that kind of cat...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That then is a lot of wieght fast!
I am not a doctor but that may be unhealthy. (not your total wieght just the amount you lost so fast)  
I think it has been shown that people who eat less and wiegh less generally live longer, healthier lives.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that too when I was averaging around 245-250.  I'm 6'2", now 175lbs.  I look back at photos of me a couple years ago, and while at that time I thought I wasn't very heavy, I can see now that I was a "bubba".

My wife comments that she can actually get her arms all of the way around me now.  Had to buy all new suits/clothes/etc, but it was worth it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That then is a lot of wieght fast!
I am not a doctor but that may be unhealthy. (not your total wieght just the amount you lost so fast)  
I think it has been shown that people who eat less and wiegh less generally live longer, healthier lives.

Watching someone you love turn their back on you and forsake the future for the present can do that to you.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I am 6'2 and about 155lbs.

Being a lower weight is WAY more healthy for you. Go to ANY other country in the world and everybody is lean and mean, with a few anomalies of course. These people that are 200lbs+ are putting a huge burdon one thier hearts and internal organs. Average USA weight and average world weight are totally different, dont let the USA stats fool you.

That being said, you could go up to 175lbs and still be very healthy so long as your body fat isnt too high, it just depends on if you are comfortable with being "skinny" or not.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Being a lower weight is WAY more healthy for you. Go to ANY other country in the world and everybody is lean and mean, with a few anomalies of course. These people that are 200lbs+ are putting a huge burdon one thier hearts and internal organs. Average USA weight and average world weight are totally different, dont let the USA stats fool you.

That being said, you could go up to 175lbs and still be very healthy so long as your body fat isnt too high, it just depends on if you are comfortable with being "skinny" or not.

My heart might be burdoned, but at 6'0 and somewhere around 280 or so and 9years of power lifting,  I can break "lean and mean" people in half easily.  I like it this way.  Being skinny just means you can fun faster, well, farther usually to.  But that's why we have cars
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For anyone my height (6'1" or so) or larger, BMI is Total BS.  

I'm a little overweight at 235.  I'm skinny at 205-210.  

BMI says 148 to 186 if I was 6'2".  Let's think about this for a minute.  Based on the percentage body fat that I was measured at, if I lost 100% of my body fat I would be down to about 180 pounds.

I would have to lose thirty pounds of muscle, bone, and nerve tissue to get down to the lowest 'healthy' weight according to the BMI chart.

When I pointed this out to my physician, she was first puzzled, and then a little shocked.  She's been using the BMI chart as a "health guide" for lots of people, but she has mostly older patients, not strapping young guys like myself.

Back on topic, losing 30 pounds in two months* is not healthy, regardless of your weight.  You need to eat, and maybe see your physician to make sure that there isn't some underlying physiological reason for it that is being masked by your depression.

Jim

*Without having planned to do so with a diet and exercise regimin.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And yet, our life expectancy is comparable to other developed nations, and far higher than many nations with comparitively skinny populations.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For anyone my height (6'1" or so) or larger, BMI is Total BS.  

I'm a little overweight at 235.  I'm skinny at 205-210.  

BMI says 148 to 186 if I was 6'2".  Let's think about this for a minute.  Based on the percentage body fat that I was measured at, if I lost 100% of my body fat I would be down to about 180 pounds.

I would have to lose thirty pounds of muscle, bone, and nerve tissue to get down to the lowest 'healthy' weight according to the BMI chart.

When I pointed this out to my physician, she was first puzzled, and then a little shocked.  She's been using the BMI chart as a "health guide" for lots of people, but she has mostly older patients, not strapping young guys like myself.

Back on topic, losing 30 pounds in two months* is not healthy, regardless of your weight.  You need to eat, and maybe see your physician to make sure that there isn't some underlying physiological reason for it that is being masked by your depression.

Jim

*Without having planned to do so with a diet and exercise regimin.

The BMI is just a generalization.  The idea is to see a MD for a personal evaluation of other weight risk factors if in the underweight or overweight group.

As the NIH chart says, "There are exceptions, of course. Big athletes with lots of muscle might have a BMI over 30.0 but would not be considered obese from the perspective of health risk".   I'm very surprised your personal MD didn't know that.  I'd reconsider my health provider.

BMI Limitations
www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/risk.htm#limitations

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#38]
want the team windbreaker or what?

try 6' 140........................my wife left in sept.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
After Jesse left me my muscle mass went to hell fast. Quit working out, all night shrimp eating contests between myself and my buddies didn't happen. I'm going to start pumping Iron again for the first time in 3 months.

Hit the weights again. 150 is pretty light for 5-11. Pumping iron will help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My quick fix:  Waffle burrito every morning.  What is a waffle burrito you may ask?  A waffle wrapped around a stick of butter burrito style.   Mmmmmmmmm, butter...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]
That seems pretty damn light to me...

When I was in really good shape...climbing...my life revolved around it in college...I was 5'11'' at 179 lbs, and 4-5% body fat measured by the hydrostatic method.  That was as low as I could get and maintain strength and health.

Now, I guess I could have dropped 30 pounds of muscle, but would have looked absulutely emaciated....

I think you seriosly need to put on some pounds and eat some more....

Besides you don't want to give her the satisfaction of seeing what she did to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My quick fix:  Waffle burrito every morning.  What is a waffle burrito you may ask?  A waffle wrapped around a stick of butter burrito style.   Mmmmmmmmm, butter...

Sounds fattening.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I lost 16lbs in six weeks due to having my jaw wired shut...

I gained it all back in the weight room...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#44]
5'5" and 124 lbs.  I think that's so small the Marines won't accept me.

I once lost 20 lbs in a month or so but that was because I was at an artificially high 145-150 lbs due to lots of eating and weight training.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm 5'7" to 5'8" and am lucky if I hit 145lbs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Whoever said ARFCOM was full of fat armchair commandos was wrong.
It's full of SKINNY armchair commandos

All hail the everlasting glory of the 152nd Chairborne regiment.....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, without actually seeing you, I'd guess you're too skinny... Those weight charts are BS - I'm only 5'8", and weigh around 190lbs - and still have a 32" waist, so I'm hardly fat... I could probably drop about 10lbs, but after that I'd start to loose muscle - and that's not something I'm willing to do...

Quit pining away over a female - go get yourself another one, and start eating/working out...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:56:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

As the NIH chart says, "There are exceptions, of course. Big athletes with lots of muscle might have a BMI over 30.0 but would not be considered obese from the perspective of health risk".   I'm very surprised your personal MD didn't know that.  I'd reconsider my health provider.

I think what she was suprised about was the part about where if I'd lose 100% of my body fat, I wouldn't be below the "healthy" range, despite the fact that I'd be dead.

My doc is top notch, no worries there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#49]
6'4"  150 lbs  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
6'4"  150 lbs  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top