Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 10:09:04 PM EDT
Fills my truck up every time I stop in case of an emergency?

Even if I'm just stopping to get a water or some dip; I always fill up even if I'm almost full. I'm not an "end of the world" guy but it just seems like the smart thing to do.

Everybody thinks I'm paranoid for doing this...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i try to keep it above half because it hurts less that way but i dont go out and put 1 or 2 gallons in it, no.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I get Gas when I need it. I fill up when I have a few Gal. left - my computer will tell me how many miles I have left to drive and when I get to about 50 or so I fill up.

Never in my entire time of driving a car have I ever ran out of Gas.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The only times I stop at the gas station are when I get gas.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

or on a road trip and i need something to drink, a quick in and out
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my truck full but I drive very little. I keep getting on my Daughter about this exact same thing. Evey time I get in her car it's on E. I don't want her to run out and it's hard on the fuel pump.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well I'm on the road a lot so I guess it's different.

I'm always stopping to get something at a gas station.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I -TRY- to keep one vehicle with gas in it.  Doesn't always happen.

If I drive my car, it takes 6-7 working days to drain a tank.  About 4 in the Jeep, though I don't push it anymore because I don't drive it as much as I used to when it was my DD, so I'm not 'sure' of my driving habits this tank, and the gauge shows empty when it still has about 1/3 tank left.  When I DD'ed it, I'd go by the Odometer.

I'm not really at the gas station unless I need gas.  Terrible place to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I refill every time my tank is at half. If I'm about to drive somewhere over an hour away I always make sure to have a full tank of gas.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
As long as you can afford it why the hell not. Who cares what anybody else thinks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
so you fill up even if the gauge is on F?  

When I lived in a rural area of Minnesota where I had to do a lot of driving on gravel roads most of which were classified as 'minimum maintenance' and weren't even a single lane wide in each direction, THEN I never let my tank go below 1/2 during winter because in a serious blizzard you might end up in the ditch and stay there for a day or two.

I'd apply the same caution of not being below 1/2 if I was going on a road-trip and passing through long stretches of rural areas, or especially the desert southwest.

HOWEVER when all your traveling is done in urban areas, I think it is just silly to be filling up your tank if it is 3/4th or even 1/2 full.

What's worse, if you DO drive by a gas station with for some reason exceptionally low prices, you'd not be able to take much advantage of it.

But finally, the REAL issue is why do you give a crap what the rest of us think about this behavior?  Bragging? Attention Whore?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so you fill up even if the gauge is on F?  

When I lived in a rural area of Minnesota where I had to do a lot of driving on gravel roads most of which were classified as 'minimum maintenance' and weren't even a single lane wide in each direction, THEN I never let my tank go below 1/2 during winter because in a serious blizzard you might end up in the ditch and stay there for a day or two.

I'd apply the same caution of not being below 1/2 if I was going on a road-trip and passing through long stretches of rural areas, or especially the desert southwest.

HOWEVER when all your traveling is done in urban areas, I think it is just silly to be filling up your tank if it is 3/4th or even 1/2 full.

What's worse, if you DO drive by a gas station with for some reason exceptionally low prices, you'd not be able to take much advantage of it.

But finally, the REAL issue is why do you give a crap what the rest of us think about this behavior?  Bragging? Attention Whore?

How can I fill up if it's already full?

I'm saying if I've burned a 1/4 of the tank or more...

It's a fucking question. Is it that time of the month for you or something?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I top off the tank whenever I'm about to drive outside the city limits, finances allowing. So, the second poll option.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]
My vehicle has two tanks.  I usually fill one up, run it to about 1/4 full, top off the other tank, run that one to about 1/4 full, top off the first tank, run it to 1/4 full, etc.  That way I always have about 1/4 tank of 'reserve' fuel, just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top