Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:11:23 PM EDT
Was running some fucked up parts tonight. About 25% were run wrong (previous op) and needed to be reworked. So after lunch break started to fix them. Well put a part in the jaws, started spindle and went to reach for the hand dial. The turret index button is about 2 " at 8 o'clock from the dial. Hit it with my finger I guess and rotated a 1 1/2 " boring bar into the jaws turning at 600-650 rpm.

Blew two jaws off the spindle- snapped the two bolts (M12) off each jaw.. One got me in the belly, broke the skin a little with a 3" red mark - no real damage. However it was a good thing that the coolant flood gate valve is located where it is, about eyeball height and in the upper left corner of the doorway about 12" from my head. Broke the valve handle off.

Both jaws ended up on the floor one at my feet and the other to my left about 2 1/2' under the two parts carts right next to me on my left side.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than that , how was your night?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful, man!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Are we talking about a production machine or a shop lathe?  Most machine centers, depending on age, have doors to prevent this kind of accident. Depending if its CNC controlled as well soft limits can be programed to prevent a turret from moving unless it in a clear zone. Glad to hear you didnt get seriously hurt and I wonder if the machine was OSHA compliant.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you are safe.

Had a similar thing happen. Left the key (big ass T handle one) in the spindle at about the 1 o'clock position. Bumped it on...it flew around and exited passing me at some ungodly speed and slammed into a metal cart. If that had been my head, I'd probably be weaving baskets right now.

I developed a habit that day...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are we talking about a production machine or a shop lathe?  Most machine centers, depending on age, have doors to prevent this kind of accident. Depending if its CNC controlled as well soft limits can be programed to prevent a turret from moving unless it in a clear zone. Glad to hear you didnt get seriously hurt and I wonder if the machine was OSHA compliant.

Old Miyano JNC-60. No chuck barrier. Was reworking parts manually. Had to finish face to tolerance length to a shoulder vs OAL length. Length varied part to part.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Be careful, man!  

+1  Patty
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
damn, good thing you didn't get hurt worse! I use to bitch about shields on equipment till a couple saved me from a possible grenading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top