Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2002 8:39:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
See! You should never try to use a gun to attack someone! They'll just take it away from you and shoot you with it.

[ducks]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
charges will likely be filed against the suspect, but no decision has been made whether the owner will also face charges.
View Quote

hey this guy should be given a medal, why are they even considering pressing charges??
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
country is headed for the sewer....

Someone PISTOL WHIPS a victim and puts a GUN to the victim's mother's HEAD, and "charges will ?**LIKELY**? be filed against the suspect".

Why would there be any questions as to charges being filed?  Because the attacker got shot?

Secondly - "no decision has been made whether the OWNER will also face charges"?

What will they charge him with - self defense?  Failing to accept the pistol whipping and imminent murder of his mother like a good victim should?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
From a friend who is former leo - I sent the story to him - here was his reply:

The victim will most likely be filed on for agg assault against the suspect.
As soon as the Grand Jury receives the charges, they "no bill" the victim and charges are dropped.
When my partner and I were in a shooting, they filed charges against my partner.

The reason they do this is to clear the police dept of civil liability and possible allegations of
corruption.  Basically, the police dept wants an external group of people (Grand Jury) to look
at the presented evidence and make certain that the police were correct in there assumption of
self defense.  And, the only way they can do this is to file charges against the victim or else the
grand jury will not review the case.  

I was quite upset about the charges, because it felt like I and my partner were being criminalized.
As you can imagine, our lives were a living hell for about 2 weeks anyway with internal affairs.
At the same time, I can see where the chief of police was coming from about charging his own officers.
Corruption allegations and civil liability are serious problems for Police dept to deal with,
so they have to protect themselves at every angle.

I can also see where you would be upset by the charges.  Its really a smoke and mirror display to cover
the police dept.  The police dept knows the charges will be dropped and have no intention to pursue
them.  

Hope that helps.
Not an excuse for a poor system, just an explaination.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Milli Vanilli was shot with his own gun??

DAMN!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From a friend who is former leo - I sent the story to him - here was his reply:

The victim will most likely be filed on for agg assault against the suspect.
As soon as the Grand Jury receives the charges, they "no bill" the victim and charges are dropped.
When my partner and I were in a shooting, they filed charges against my partner.

The reason they do this is to clear the police dept of civil liability and possible allegations of
corruption.  Basically, the police dept wants an external group of people (Grand Jury) to look
at the presented evidence and make certain that the police were correct in there assumption of
self defense.  And, the only way they can do this is to file charges against the victim or else the
grand jury will not review the case.  

I was quite upset about the charges, because it felt like I and my partner were being criminalized.
As you can imagine, our lives were a living hell for about 2 weeks anyway with internal affairs.
At the same time, I can see where the chief of police was coming from about charging his own officers.
Corruption allegations and civil liability are serious problems for Police dept to deal with,
so they have to protect themselves at every angle.

I can also see where you would be upset by the charges.  Its really a smoke and mirror display to cover
the police dept.  The police dept knows the charges will be dropped and have no intention to pursue
them.  

Hope that helps.
Not an excuse for a poor system, just an explaination.

View Quote

Its not a poor system, it is one that ensures that the victim will be cleared of a civil suit if the bad guy brings charges.  After a grand jury releases him, he can use that in his motion for summary judgement if the BG persists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top