Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2018 3:18:29 PM EDT
Is 70% Isopropyl alcohol any better for cleaning open wound than hydrogen peroxide?
My son cut his hand on a piece of glass while working in the yard with his mom so I had him wash his hand with soap/water and then I cleaned the cut with hydrogen peroxide and cotton swab.  My wife said I should have cleaned it with 70% Isopropyl alcohol as she heard they kill more variety of germs and kills quicker too.  I normally use hydrogen peroxide to clean my cuts and wounds as they seem to hurt/sting less than alcohol.
Is one actually better than other for cleaning cuts and wounds?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Alcohol works better but stings like a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bleach.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Peroxide H2O2 will damage skins cells and slows healing.  Clean with soap and water or alcohol if you want it to sting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Peroxide H2O2 will damage skins cells and slows healing.  Clean with soap and water or alcohol if you want it to sting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
DIng ding ding
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
both
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
so whats the point of H2O2?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
An ounce of Povidone iodine diluted in a quart of saline with an irrigation syringe.

Peroxide is better for sterilizing surfaces.

Single use packets.

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't know that.
Is there any advantage for H2O2 over alcohol?  Otherwise I'd just keep alcohol in the first aid kit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Betadine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Betadine
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Other than surface sterilization, it makes a great mouthwash.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Chlorhexidine
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
None of the above.

We use Witch Hazel in this house...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Copious irrigation with tap water if you don't have bottles of sterile irrigation solution. There's even a trend (not yet statistically significant) towards lower infection rates with tap water vs sterile saline.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/1/e001504

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472650/

The greatest benefit from alcohol/iodine/chlorhexidine is in cleansing the skin before its integrity is breached, to reduce the chance of bacterial translocation. That's the reasoning behind swabbing before skin puncture. H2O2 isn't as reliable in killing germs, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

A splash on the wound and 2 or 3 shots in the mouth. Then get your bullet puller and a match out. It's gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Most online medical places don't recommend either, they recommend rinsing with soap and water:

https://www.advancedtissue.com/debunking-myths-wound-care/
https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/ss/slideshow-wound-care-dos-and-donts
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Alcohol does too. Clean it with sterile saline, and bandage it with some antibiotic ointment.

ETA: Interesting about tap water being just as good or better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
After cleaning the woulnd, turn on the stove burner until it's red hot.......

...and boil water to make the kid some hot tea.  It will relax him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Alcohol kills plenty well also.

Get some Betadine (Povidone-iodine solution).
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
You can sack up and rub some Mercurochrome on it and go about your business.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I just use rubbing alcohol. It stings, but not badly enough to prevent me from using it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Bactine has some lidocaine in it, so there is always that.  Probably works better for kids. 

I have used alcohol and hydrogen peroxide and all my many wounds have healed just fine. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
An ounce of Povidone iodine diluted in a quart of saline with an irrigation syringe.

Peroxide is better for sterilizing surfaces.

Single use packets.

https://www.healthproductsexpress.com/54026-thickbox_default/110385-APLICARE-INC-APLL1001-POUCH-POVIDONE-IODINE-1-OZ-STERILE.jpg
View Quote
Peroxide in the bottle commonly sold does NOT sterilize.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
mix both and add acetone for good measure
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Soap & Water are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Alcohol kills skin cells too.....actually more-so.  H202 is better if it is a fresh cut as it can bubble out contaminants.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You wouldn't use as an industrial sterilizer at 3%, but it is gentle enough to be used to sterilize a wound and will most certainly tear up your gums.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Clean with soap and water.

Topical antiseptic Vetericyn during the day because it's not goopy, Triple or Neosporin at night.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Rub some dirt in it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Just pour some Jim Beam on it and stick some Beech-nut in it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Hydrogen peroxide is more of a debreeding agent for particulates than a true disinfectant like iodine or chlorahexidine.
It's good to use first to clean cuts and lacerations or irrigating puss from wounds that have egress,followed by betadine or a high percentage iso alcohol. It's not advised on penetrating trauma or punctures with much depth.

So in arfcom tradition, use both!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Hoppe’s #9
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its great for inducing vomiting as well if harmful pills are swallowed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Alcohol kills skin cells too.....actually more-so.  H202 is better if it is a fresh cut as it can bubble out contaminants.
View Quote
This.

If it doesn't fizz, it was exausted and was just water.

2H2O2 = 2H2O + O2
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Dirt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Johnny was a chemist but . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dirt.
View Quote
Came to say rub some dirt on it.

Left satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Copious irrigation with tap water if you don't have bottles of sterile irrigation solution. There's even a trend (not yet statistically significant) towards lower infection rates with tap water vs sterile saline.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/1/e001504

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472650/

The greatest benefit from alcohol/iodine/chlorhexidine is in cleansing the skin before its integrity is breached, to reduce the chance of bacterial translocation. That's the reasoning behind swabbing before skin puncture. H2O2 isn't as reliable in killing germs, IIRC.
View Quote
Listen to the doctor.

Just use water, and lots of it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Both alcohol and hydrogen peroxide will damage healthy skin cells in the wound and will make healing more difficult and scarring more likely. Avoid both and simply irrigate with clean water or sterile saline.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I've heard hydrogen peroxide is quite bad... worse than doing nothing.  Seems it damages the very structures that would be working to heal.  Just water to clean out the chunks is fine.  Soap too.

I guess if you're really worried about infection... 1 it's probably too late... and 2 ... alcohol seems ok as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree alcohol can kill cells but I said if you want to feel the sting alcohol.  I clean my cuts/wounds with dawn soap and warm water then allow to air dry.  Soap and water is best for cuts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can sack up and rub some Mercurochrome on it and go about your business.
View Quote
I always did my best to hide scrapes and cuts from my mom since I didn't want that stuff to come out of the medicine cabinet!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Soap like (Phisohex, or Phisoderm). Water. Bandage. If you are inclined some triple antibiotic ointment.
Now, does it need stitches? Is he up to date on Tetanus?
Leave the alcohol and peroxide in the cabinet. They both have a use, but it isn't here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You wouldn't use as an industrial sterilizer at 3%, but it is gentle enough to be used to sterilize a wound and will most certainly tear up your gums.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are looking at it from 2 different perspectives.  Without a doubt it will clean and kill bacteria.  Sterilization implies----sterile, perfectly clean, devoid of germs IE boiling water, autoclaving, bleaching type stuff.  
You can get there, but you might need +6%  and more time.  So yea I am being more technical about it, but the word sterile, sterilization, sterilize has a certain technical implication to it, as opposed to say an antibacterial.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Your son is lucky they don’t sell Monkey Blood any more. My dad would swab that stuff in open wounds and if I started to tear up he would say, “ Boy, you had better knock that shit off or I am going to give you something to cry about.”
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top