Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 6:04:55 AM EDT
[size=4]Alan Keyes stops making 'Sense'[/size=4]
July 01, 2002

NEW YORK -- MSNBC has canceled the 5-month-old "Alan Keyes Is Making Sense" -- the final telecast was Thursday night -- when he refused to move his show to a late-afternoon slot, according to a network spokeswoman, who said MSNBC wanted to move Keyes from his 10 p.m. ET slot to daytime because of his low ratings. "It wasn't showing any growth" from its late-January debut, the spokeswoman said. Keyes has lagged far behind his competitors. In May, his show averaged 258,000 viewers, compared with 773,000 for Fox News Channel's "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren" and 720,000 for CNN's "Newsnight With Aaron Brown." For now, MSNBC is running documentary longform programming at 10 p.m. until its new schedule kicks in July 15 and Ashleigh Banfield moves to that spot behind Phil Donahue at 8 p.m. and Chris Matthews at 9 p.m. (Andrew Grossman)

Eric The(Livid)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Keyes was MSNBC's token conservative. He was their sacrificial lamb, slaughtered for an appearance of objectivity. No one REALLY thought he was gonna last a full year did they???

Beyond that, Mr. Keyes was his OWN demise. He was TOO smart for his own good. His program was a FULL HOUR on a single subject. SHort attention span theatre watchers couldn't handle it.

Too often, his guests were there to play the patsy for his soliloquies. They existed for him to soapbox. Strong opinions evoke strong emotions, and people generally don't like their preconceived ideas challenged for a full hour. I also saw too many times where it was 2 and even three against one in various segments - Mr. Keyes ALWAYS stacking the deck in his favor.

Lastly, he spent the last three months of his show EXCLUSIVELY on two topics - the Catholic Church, and the Middle East. There were other things going on in the world.  And after the first FIFTEEN hour long shows on a given subject, what really is LEFT to be said??

Still, he's a great statesman, and the premier Conservative thinker of our day. I'll always vote for him in any election he runs for. But the same good qulaities that made him lose his TV show will keep him from ever reaching high political office. He ought to run for Governor, or Mayor, some place he could rally do some good.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

NEW YORK -- MSNBC ...... Keyes has lagged far behind his competitors. In May, his show averaged 258,000 viewers, [blue]compared with 773,000 for Fox News Channel's "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren" and 720,000 for CNN's "Newsnight With Aaron Brown."[/blue] For now, MSNBC is running documentary longform programming at 10 p.m. until its new schedule kicks in July 15 and Ashleigh Banfield moves to that spot behind Phil Donahue at 8 p.m. and Chris Matthews at 9 p.m. (Andrew Grossman)

Eric The(Livid)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I just don't get the Greta VS thing & don't even know who Aaron Brown is!.  I'll bet on [u]this[/u] network that Donahue will draw more than Keyes.  What a shame.  [:(]

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had an ongoing debate with a black liberal columnist for the St. Pete Times, for about 4 years, on Alan Keyes.  This guy hated him, and tried to destroy him in column, after column, but he is a liberal a-hole, who followed the Clinton / Gore mantra to the letter.

He just would never admit it.

I hope I can vote for Keyes again, real soon.  I like what he stands for!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Big Guns,

I thought the whole crew at the SPT were liberal a**holes!?

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know that he was intentionally stacking the deck.  It could just be that the liberals were afraid to go on the show and look stupid.  The cable company just started carring MSNBC, so I did not get to see the show very many times.  I can't imagine the Baldwin brothers showing up and taking the heat.  

I don't know who Aaron Brown is either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey Big Guns,

I thought the whole crew at the SPT were liberal a**holes!?

View Quote

I thought that true, too, until I took a Jim Crews class with a SPT photographer, who is as conservative as me, and he was very informative about going-ons inside the paper.

Seems they had a problem with *armed* guards, at the Poynter Institute, (propaganda central) until the guards were held up and mugged at gunpoint!  Hee-Hee!

They are so fun to tweak, though!  They care more than you or I, Ya'know!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]Phil Donahpuke[xx(] VS Gretta Van Stretchface[%|][/b]
With the exception Scooby Doo reruns, there won't be anything to watch for at least one hour in the evening.

Oh well, It'll give me more time to finish reading "Unintended Consequences" ,"The Art of War and "Cooking Light with Martha Stewart"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top