Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 3:19:40 PM EDT
[url]http://www.command-post.org/archives/007663.html[/url]

A Texas Attack? Chasing Al Qaeda In America
From Newsweek:

Almost every day officials from the FBI and the CIA see new intelligence showing that Al Qaeda and its confederates are determined to attack the U.S. homeland. Earlier this month, NEWSWEEK has learned, U.S. intelligence intercepted chat-room conversations between suspected Qaeda associates about attacks in Texas around the Fourth of July. One of the operatives, known only as “Sakr,” said the attacks had been planned for a long time and that the terror-ists were simply waiting for approval from “the sheik” —a possible reference to Osama bin Laden or another top Qaeda commander. No specific targets were mentioned, but law-enforcement officials tell NEWSWEEK they believe the objective may be to take out oil facilities or pipelines. (Al Qaeda has often talked about attacking the U.S. energy sector as a way to hurt the economy.)
Link via one of my favorite bloggers, Virginia Postrel.

Posted By Alan at June 24, 2003 12:19 AM | TrackBack

Comments
Coastal refineries in this state (TX) are sitting ducks.

Posted by: Theodopoulos Pherecydes at June 24, 2003 06:48 AM
Theodopoulos Pherecydes, that's probably about to change. They will be difficult to protect. The only thing I've noticed is their bs is worse than their bite...Thanks in great part to our security/ intel people and our tireless pursuit of terrorists. It seems to me the Bush administration has figured out that it is far more efficient to pursue them full speed, than to try to protect every asset in the US.

Posted by: Jeff B at June 24, 2003 08:15 AM
Ive been to galveston on multiple occasions, the refineries are sitting ducks, yes they are, and theres alot of them. BUT, depsite popular opinion this isnt something you can just roll a truck bomb upto and blow up the entire area from the fumes, crude oil refinery plants arent THAT unstable. Any attack to do signifant dammage would be pretty hard to hide. Also attacking the oil industry isnt the best way to attack our economy, Texas economy is pretty damn diverse( http://www.bidc.state.tx.us/overview/2-2te.htm ) so hitting it from one angle wont do alot compared to say damaging the crops in nebraska, or destroying the breweries in milwalkee. Our oil is almost all imports still, if you wanna mess us up with oil, blow up a oil tanker in the gulf of mexico.

All that said and done the terrorist can kiss my ass, if they wanna make a show then ill be down at town lake on the 4th of july with 100,000 of my fellow Texans, an if Quedheads wanna show up with a Ak47 and cause a scene well just remember.....were also the state with the most concealed carry liscenses, we do so love our guns here.

Posted by: Ronin at June 24, 2003 08:51 AM
Not the breweries!!!! Damn, that would hurt.

Posted by: Bubba at June 24, 2003 10:01 AM
Right...but I live just outside of Houston in a suburb.

We are all sitting on top of a massive web of natural gas pipelines and natural gas storage(s).
Massive is mild - they are everywhere.

Also about 2 months ago a story came out about how the FBI were searching for a group of men who had crossed the border Tx/Mexico.
A man who helped them cross (I assume his conscience got to him) told the FBI about a group of about 5-6 men who he helped crossed the border who looked Arab and were wearing camaflouge. He said they were all carrying large backpacks. The story goes on to say that the FBI were searching for these men.

Posted by: txmom at June 24, 2003 10:35 AM
Er, and this is related to Iraq, how?

Posted by: MW at June 24, 2003 12:47 PM
The thread's about Texas, MW.

Posted by: wolf at June 24, 2003 01:15 PM
No kidding, Sherlock.

But shouldn't be on the War on Terrorism page, instead of the Iraq page?

Posted by: MW at June 24, 2003 02:07 PM
Txmom, I am in what was once a suburb of Houston (Clear Lake). We have since been swallowed by the city. There are indeed many targets here like the LPG pipelines and refineries that have been mentioned. There is also NASA's Johnson Space Center (where I work), and many other symbolic targets.

I'll be with Ronin and the other 100,000 Texans at the lake on the 4th and won't worry a bit about the terrorist threat to Texas. We not only have a whole lot of armed folks here (who can shoot), we do still have our own Air Force, remember.

GW's old outfit, the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group of the Texas Air Gaurd is here at Ellington Field and constantly flying CAP with their F-16s.

Enjoy your holiday weekend my fellow Texans and Americans. And I'll see ya' at the lake Ronin.

Posted by: Kabar at June 24, 2003 02:10 PM
MW

Whatever "page" it's on, it's sometimes perspicacious to read the heading of the article posted at the top of the thread in order to be in tune with the topic being discussed underneath.

Elementary, Watson.

Posted by: wolf at June 24, 2003 02:32 PM
Oh, and Watson?

It might help even more if you make at least a minimal effort to read the article, as well.

Posted by: wolf at June 24, 2003 02:54 PM
Kabar,

I live in Katy.

Oh yes...I do know about the 147th Fighter Group of the Texas Air Guard - LOVE EM! Thanks for the reminder.

I will be enjoying the holiday and the fireworks at the Katy Mills. The terrorist threat won't keep us from having our fun in the sun!

Have fun at the lake Kabar and Ronin, my Texas friends and

Happy 4th of July to all Americans!

Posted by: Txmom at June 24, 2003 04:41 PM
Not from around Houston here. I feel left out! I'm from Dallas. How many Texans do we have on the command post?

Posted by: Texas Chick at June 24, 2003 06:31 PM
Texas Chick, just the right amount.

Posted by: Kabar at June 24, 2003 07:10 PM
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think poisoning the BBQ Sauce plants would be a better way of attacking Texans on the 4th.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure those good ole boy Texans wouldn't mind attacking Al Qaida on the 4th of July.  It would give them something to do before lighting of the fireworks.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
On the 4th I'll be in a vehicle pulling 500# of 1.3G explosives.
And then I'll help set it off.

Ahhh, the work of a pyrotechnic.

I'll keep an eye out for those bastages!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
1- who's the dumbass spreading unfounded rumors [b]based on a chat room conversation[/b]???

2-We shoot back. And we're just looking for a fvucking excuse- any, excuse.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1- who's the dumbass spreading unfounded rumors [b]based on a chat room conversation[/b]???

2-We shoot back. And we're just looking for a fvucking excuse- any, excuse.
View Quote

I heard this on the radio news this afternoon.

And I agree. Al Qaeda attacking Texas on 4th of July would be the epitome of stupidity.

That's just asking for an ass kicking. [whacko]

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
1- who's the dumbass spreading unfounded rumors based on a chat room conversation???
View Quote

That would be the CIA and/or the NSA.

Really, I have a feeling that they are not seeing anything more data-wise than before 9/11-they are just paying more attention to it. The CIA has become hyper-sensative because of the widespread belief that they dropped the ball on the WTC and Pentagon attacks.

They put this stuff out knowing that its more likely to be untrue than true, but they are also quite aware that AlQaida has to only get lucky once, and they have to get lucky on every single attempt. The advantage always has been with the terrorist.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas has 4,802 megawatts of installed nuclear power capacity coming from two plants: the 2,300-megawatt Comanche Peak project in Somervell County and the 2,502-megawatt South Texas Project in Matagorda County.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I get so tired of this crap.  

"We have no target mentioned, no timetable, no methods, weapons, or equipment used, and no idea who, but we want you to watch for it"

No problemo.  I'll get right on it.  This is the same nonsense we've seen on every holiday (ours and theirs) since 9/11.  Fellas,  it's getting old.  Give me hard data or keep your trap shut.    
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Might be a chance to make some money here.  If they raise the alert to orange and skittish traders sell off ahead the 4th of July holiday, there might be a little bounce when no attacks occur.  Happened last year. Market was up today, maybe it's not too worried.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"We have no target mentioned, no timetable, no methods, weapons, or equipment used, and no idea who, but we want you to watch for it"

No problemo.  I'll get right on it.  This is the same nonsense we've seen on every holiday (ours and theirs) since 9/11.  Fellas,  it's getting old.  Give me hard data or keep your trap shut.    
View Quote

There can be little hard data on terrorists, unless they are morons. They have all the advantages of choosing the time, place, and method and how to control information.

We are going to have to get used to living like we are in the navy. When the klaxon sounds you respond regardless of it being a drill or false alarm.

Eventually we are going to be like Israel, and have so many attacks no one will complain anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

There can be little hard data on terrorists, unless they are morons. They have all the advantages of choosing the time, place, and method and how to control information.

We are going to have to get used to living like we are in the navy. When the klaxon sounds you respond regardless of it being a drill or false alarm.

Eventually we are going to be like Israel, and have so many attacks no one will complain anymore.
View Quote

Of course, the two groups you mentioned(actually all 3) don't have to operate with silly restrictions on the weapons they have access to. Just part of being prepared.

I wonder who has more muslims- and mosques -NY or Houston?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you say AssBeatin'!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Bring it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top