Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2008 2:07:53 PM EDT
Whee!

A correspondent and a "security activist" exploit holes in the TSA's bloated bureaucratic inefficiencies.  

Read it all, it's dang interesting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, airport security is a joke. I hope and pray that theres really this secret safety net in place that actually makes TSA not a huge waste of money but then I realize this is a government agency we're talking about...

I still fly with lighters when I forget I have them in a bag/pocket (TSA site says its a no-no), I've gone through with plenty of larger than 3 oz containers, etc. The rules are hardly enforced as it is and they don't actually help to prevent anything...

Nevermind the fact that TSA mouth-breathers are usually too busy wanding the BARE-FUCKING-FEET of a 90-year old woman in a wheel chair who just had to send her sandals through the x-ray... (I have seen it with my own eyes, as if the woman had surgically grafted metallic items into the soles of her feet..)

Don't even get me started on customs, either...

ETA: These measures DO however do a great job of getting the American public used to submitting to lots of "safety measures" that may not make logical sense in the name of "national security"... Yipee!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
TSA are mouth-breathers. A Sheriffs deputy I was chatting with while waiting to get further searched even agreed with me..
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a person who flew commercially with a pistol on his person (accidentally) and was not caught.  Lucky?  Or just inept security.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Once I tried to tell the screener that her metal detector wasn't on. Once I had passed through, I pointed it out to her again by showing her that the function light wasn't lit.

She started screaming at the people who had already passed through to come back, but they ignored her.

Stupid bitch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Once I tried to tell the screener that her metal detector wasn't on. Once I had passed through, I pointed it out to her again by showing her that the function light wasn't lit.

She started screaming at the people who had already passed through to come back, but they ignored her.

Stupid bitch.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Stupid bitch.

and too...

Glad you and I help pay her salary...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
TSA Too Stupid for Arby's
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
but they got those snazzy new blue uniforms instead of the white ones
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
BWI had a bunch of aliens, dopers and felons working there when they went federal.
They interviewed Shamika, who had lied about her felony drug conviction, on the 6 o'clock.
She didn't seem to understand why it was a problem.

My 70 year old, white-haired, arthritic mother however, has to take off her shoes and gets felt up because of her knee implant.

I think we all know the reason why.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
NO SHIT
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I travel weekly for my job.

Airport security,  for the billions it's costing us,  is an elaborate hoax.  it's a show to make us feel better.

Long story short,  the staff and people that work in airport security,  plane cleaning,  loading food,  baggage handling and a dozen other menial airport jobs are very low paid,  mostly minorities,  of who,   there is a guaranteed percentage that harbor a grudge against either whites or all the rich folks flying around who could be bought for a couple thousand bucks of cash,  bribed with drugs or forced to perpetrate a horrible crime through blackmail or coercion.

it makes me worried every time I fly and think it's only a matter of time till we have another incident.  the only problem is.  because passengers will no longer be hijacked,  they'll just start blowing up planes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
They must be highly trained professionals.  They have new shirts and metal badges to prove it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I went to Texas a couple weeks ago.  I had some sunscreen in my carry on bag (Honestly, I forgot it was in there).  You would think I committed a god damn felony the way the TSA guy freaked when it ran through the X-Ray machine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Airport security,  for the billions it's costing us,  is an elaborate hoax.  it's a show to make us feel better.

Long story short,  the staff and people that work in airport security,  plane cleaning,  loading food,  baggage handling and a dozen other menial airport jobs are very low paid,  mostly minorities,  of who,   there is a guaranteed percentage that harbor a grudge against either whites or all the rich folks flying around who could be bought for a couple thousand bucks of cash,  bribed with drugs or forced to perpetrate a horrible crime through blackmail or coercion.

it makes me worried every time I fly and think it's only a matter of time till we have another incident.  the only problem is.  because passengers will no longer be hijacked,  they'll just start blowing up planes.

+1  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
ON my way to Sweden for work, I had the pleasure of transiting Newark. The TSA guy sitting at a podium supposedly checking boarding passes had his head resting on his crossed forearms...sound asleep.

People just walked past him and let him sleep.

What a joke.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Great, I am flying to Kauai in a week. This makes me feel safe!

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yup, airport security is a joke. I hope and pray that theres really this secret safety net in place that actually makes TSA not a huge waste of money but then I realize this is a government agency we're talking about...

I still fly with lighters when I forget I have them in a bag/pocket (TSA site says its a no-no), I've gone through with plenty of larger than 3 oz containers, etc. The rules are hardly enforced as it is and they don't actually help to prevent anything...

Nevermind the fact that TSA mouth-breathers are usually too busy wanding the BARE-FUCKING-FEET of a 90-year old woman in a wheel chair who just had to send her sandals through the x-ray... (I have seen it with my own eyes, as if the woman had surgically grafted metallic items into the soles of her feet..)

Don't even get me started on customs, either...

ETA: These measures DO however do a great job of getting the American public used to submitting to lots of "safety measures" that may not make logical sense in the name of "national security"... Yipee!

The lighter restriction ended last October.  Foreign countries don't do it much better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
And because of the Dems, they are UNIONIZED which makes it harder to fire the inept ones......
..perhaps they knew that if the inept ones were capable of being fired that there wouldn't be anyone left.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:

I could't have said it better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Always has been, always will be. The only thing that 9/11 changed was who was making money off it and how much hassle you have to put up with.
Gotta laugh when their own people can sneak guns and shit through when testing their setup, but you can't get through with nipple rings
And short of fully armed troops or a full-time on duty SWAT team stationed at every airport, they don't have a chance at stopping a serious attack. Even WITH that they would have trouble. I don't even want to think about what would happen if someone smuggled in some Stingers or something...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Stupid bitch.

Stupid you... you could very well have had that terminal "locked down", and caused thousands of people to miss their flights.  You did nobody a favor by pointing this out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I went to Texas a couple weeks ago.  I had some sunscreen in my carry on bag (Honestly, I forgot it was in there).  You would think I committed a god damn felony the way the TSA guy freaked when it ran through the X-Ray machine.

I got the same treatment over a half-empty pony bottle of Diet Coke.
I asked if I could just drink it and was refused.
Then he pulled me out of line and hand inspected my backpack.

The object of scrutiny?

My Sapphire Light, clipped to my keychain.
He couldn't have cared less about the 7" C-wrench.

A complete joke.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/urdefense_2022_20677074

CIA letter opener

I have been telling about people about these for years.. well, not like "hey, go get one..." you know what I mean...

Glass-filled nylon eod type knives and whatnot... readily available...

This plus tape plus knowing enough to not set off metal detector otherwise= ...

And people feel safe because...?

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CIA letter opener

I have been telling about people about these for years.. well, not like "hey, go get one..." you know what I mean...

I have wondered about these, I was watching some show on ceramic knives, and they impregnate some sort of metalic substance( Iron powerd?) in the blade so that it will set off metal detectors.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#29]
a big joke.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Will titanium set off a metal detector? I don't think so, but I wonder.

Yes.  next question
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
in typical libtard fashion.. the answer to failed government involvement is more government involvement.

I make it a point to tell people who bitch about the tsa while i'm in line (and loud enough for others to hear (but not tooo loud)) "you wanted the government to be in charge of security.. what did you expect?"
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CIA letter opener

I have wondered about these, I was watching some show on ceramic knives, and they impregnate some sort of metalic substance( Iron powerd?) in the blade so that it will set off metal detectors.

Since when?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CIA letter opener

Since when?

I saw that show too.

...Ceramic knives present a conceptual problem to the security industry since ceramics are not picked up by metal detectors. To solve this problem, many manufacturers of non-military knives include a quantity of metal in each knife to ensure they are detectable with standard equipment. Ceramic knives can be detected by extremely high frequency scanners (i.e. Millimeter wave scanner), although (as of 2006) these scanners are not yet in widespread use....

link
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Non-metallic glass-filled/reinforced nylon EOD knives don't have such a feature, as far as I know - am I mistaken?

I've seen them for sale at numerous online distributors and though I have never attempted to purchase one I am unaware of any restrictions on their purchase and have not seen them described as restricted in any way online...

I would think that getting such an item through security, especially at an airport without state of the art gear and/or hyper vigilant TSA staffers (oxy-moron?), would be scarily easy...

ETA: That being said, doesn't the passengers resisting thing make this somewhat of a moot point and make explosives a bigger concern? The possibility of sneaking some sort of liquid in like the author of the article seems like a bigger concern...

As I said earlier, I do wish whenever I'm traveling that there is some secret safety net that addresses these concerns but I know it's wishful thinking..
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
In the last two weeks I unknowingly flew through two major airports with two bearbangers (small explosive/signaling device) in my carry on laptop bag. Bag was seperately scanned in both airports.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Whee!

A correspondent and a "security activist" exploit holes in the TSA's bloated bureaucratic inefficiencies.  

Read it all, it's dang interesting.

That's nothing. I refuse to even post what's possible simply because I don't want to give any BG's any ideas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#37]
If we racially profiled people who looked likely to be Muslim and subjected everyone else to much lesser scrutiny, we'd have caught close to 100% of airline terrorists and avoid inconveniencing regular folks simultaneously.

Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
And because of the Dems, they are UNIONIZED which makes it harder to fire the inept ones......

..perhaps they knew that if the inept ones were capable of being fired that there wouldn't be anyone left.

And Bush set this whole thing up, was so clueless that it got completely captured by Teddy Kennedy, and then was too much of a coward to kill it and start over.

Thanks, George.  Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I was in a hurry once and grabbed my range bag that I had dumped out and used as a carry on. They swabbed my empty casing pouch and the swab came out black from all the powder etc. leftover, they put it on the machine and it detected nothing, there was even unburnt powder in there. So I have no faith in their scanners, and the people who go thru the bags keep gettin busted for being theives.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I've traveled to SF and back with a few loose 9mm round in my jacket. Total accident. But to be missed twice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I flew from Moscow to Denver one time.  Had to make a layover in Toronto.  Very interesting.  We (USA) have a port in Toronto allowing passengers to go through securty and customs in Canada.  So any passengers clearing customs and INS in Toronto just walks out of the airport in Denver, the same as any domestic flight.

EVERY one of the customs agents was wearing a turbin. I couldnt believe it, and I am not making this up.  The INS people were not but the customs were.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I flew from Moscow to Denver one time.  Had to make a layover in Toronto.  Very interesting.  We (USA) have a port in Toronto allowing passengers to go through securty and customs in Canada.  So any passengers clearing customs and INS in Toronto just walks out of the airport in Denver, the same as any domestic flight.

EVERY one of the customs agents was wearing a turbin. I couldnt believe it, and I am not making this up.  The INS people were not but the customs were.

You do know that Arabs don't wear turbans, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#44]
just the indians, but thats not the point.  Point is that non americans are working the TSA
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know that Arabs don't wear turbans, right?

Chances are the were Sikhs from India.  They wear knives under their shirt too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I lost my faith dealing with the TSA last month when I last had to fly for business.  When I got to the hotel, I started fishing for my comfirmation papers.  "Hmm, what is this?"  I pulled out a corkscrew.  Granted it wasn't a bladed weapon, but I bet it could put a hurting on a person if need be.

James
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If we racially profiled people who looked likely to be Muslim and subjected everyone else to much lesser scrutiny, we'd have caught close to 100% of airline terrorists and avoid inconveniencing regular folks simultaneously.

Just sayin'...

Does he look Muslim?

Just trying to understand...

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#48]
just like gun control, air port security will only keep the honest people from bringing stuff on board.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I lost my faith dealing with the TSA last month when I last had to fly for business.  When I got to the hotel, I started fishing for my comfirmation papers.  "Hmm, what is this?"  I pulled out a corkscrew.  Granted it wasn't a bladed weapon, but I bet it could put a hurting on a person if need be.

James

Corkscrew is okay.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#50]
While I know that our checkpoints aren't infallible, there are dozens of weapons removed from bags and passengers every month.  Some are artfully concealed and some are obvious mistakes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top