Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:17:53 AM EDT
Airbus has made it official: A320neos will be assembled in Mobile, Alabama.

The fourth final assembly line to support A320 production will add 1,000 jobs to the local economy and provide Airbus with more production capacity in the heart of a strategic market.

"The time is right for Airbus to expand in America," says Fabrice Brégier, Airbus chief executive, speaking making the announcement at the Mobile Convention Center. "The US is the largest single-aisle aircraft market in the world - with a projected need for 4,600 aircraft over the next 20 years - and this assembly line brings us closer to our customers. Mobile is now becoming part of Airbus' global production network, joining our successful and growing assembly lines in Hamburg, Toulouse and Tianjin."

The factory will be located adjacent to an existing Airbus engineering centre at the Brookley Aeroplex, which borders Mobile Bay.

The site was originally part of Airbus's lost bid to assemble A330-200s and convert them into tankers for the US Air Force. Airbus also had proposed building an A320 final assembly line, but had conditioned the offer on winning the tanker proposal.

Full story at Flightglobal.com
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-announces-mobile-factory-to-assemble-a320neos-373643/
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The fourth final assembly line to support A320 production will add 1,000 jobs to the local economy and provide Airbus with more production capacity in the heart of a strategic market.

"The time is right for Airbus to expand in America," says Fabrice Brégier, Airbus chief executive, speaking making the announcement at the Mobile Convention Center. "The US is the largest single-aisle aircraft market in the world - with a projected need for 4,600 aircraft over the next 20 years - and this assembly line brings us closer to our customers. Mobile is now becoming part of Airbus' global production network, joining our successful and growing assembly lines in Hamburg, Toulouse and Tianjin."

The factory will be located adjacent to an existing Airbus engineering centre at the Brookley Aeroplex, which borders Mobile Bay.

The site was originally part of Airbus's lost bid to assemble A330-200s and convert them into tankers for the US Air Force. Airbus also had proposed building an A320 final assembly line, but had conditioned the offer on winning the tanker proposal.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-announces-mobile-factory-to-assemble-a320neos-373643/

fuck airbus. I hate those things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know anyone involved in aircraft maintnence who has anything nice to say about airbus products.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
And it will still be an Airbus.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

737 > A320
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if this is for supply chain reasons or if they are contractually required to manufacture in the us
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Airlines and Military's all over the world, including the USA are using Airbus products...yet ARFCOM declares the Airbus product line to be a POS.

..one of the many reasons I will never retreat to an island with you all.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Airlines and Military's all over the world, including the USA are using Airbus products...yet ARFCOM declares the Airbus product line to be a POS.

No one cares, freeloader.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The unions are already bitching because AL is a right to work state.

Interesting how that happened.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#12]
airbus is going to be using US based manufacturers for some of it's components. their supplier evaluations are very thorough
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
they arent popular in parts of alabama

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/boeing_won_air_tanker_contract.html

fixed it
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obama will win reelection
Congress passes a law that says companies that make something which is made by unions in another state have to be union-friendly also, even if the state is right-to-work.
Lawsuits
Roberts will side with the liberals using twisted logic to uphold the law

OH COME ON....... That is so far fetched. I mean, really. Who would think that could actually... what? What's that you say?

FUCK.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
F U C K BOEING

they arent popular in alabama

Except around Huntsville
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
F U C K BOEING

they arent popular in alabama

Except around Huntsville

fixed original
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They're good planes.  I just have a huge problem with how they limit Pilot control.  Also, they don't build them for easy maintenance, which is a huge safety risk in my opinion.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#19]
If by by "invades" you mean "Mobile has been courting them for the past 8 years with a zillion dollars in tax breaks", then yes, Alabama was "invaded" by Airbus.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#20]
The whole tanker contract thing made me realize I don't quite like Boeing as much as I had in the past.

Airbus won the first time around, but Boeing was a big cry baby about the whole thing. Airbus already had the plane design down they just needed a place to build them. Mobile is an excellent location. It has an interstate hwy, deep water port, and a huge airfield all in the same location. Airbus was ready to start building there as soon as they won the contract and would have created about 40-50K jobs. Well, an ex Boeing executive is a member of the Obama administration and Boeing is based out of Chicago. So, when Boeing finally won the contract it was kinda shady to me. All indications were that Airbus was going to win the contract at the time, so it was a surprise to see it go to Boeing.

Airbus didn't dispute losing the contract, so they decided to take it to Boeing by building their jets right here in the USA in a right to work state. So, Boeing and their unionized workforce can take a hike in my opinion.

BTW how many $$$$$ is Boeing already over budget on the tanker contract, and they don't even have a design ready yet.

Yeah, the 737 is a great plane, but the Airbus A320 is definitely a more comfortable aircraft to fly on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
they arent popular in parts of alabama

fixed it

I recently worked on a major program where a domestic contractor won the contract using a foreign airframe.  They were supposed to build the fuirst handful of them overseas, import them, do all the upgrades here, test them, then start the main manufacturing effort here.

Between all the contractors protecting their IP, dealing with ITAR compliance, etc. - it was clusterfuck of epic proportions. The whole thing eventually got shitcanned.

I can understand the desire to bring those jobs to your area, but I'm highly skeptical of a program like that.  I don't think it would have worked out as well as some people expect.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Isn't competition usually a good thing?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obama will win reelection
Congress passes a law that says companies that make something which is made by unions in another state have to be union-friendly also, even if the state is right-to-work.
Lawsuits
Roberts will side with the liberals using twisted logic to uphold the law

I expect that any union shenanigans the US could muster would pale in comparison to the stuff Airbus has to deal with in Europe. If they got a full dose of the Teamsters, AFL-CIO, UAW, and SEIU, they'd probably be delighted that they relieved themselves of so much of the administrative burdens of their home turf.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If by by "invades" you mean "Mobile has been courting them for the past 8 years with a zillion dollars in tax breaks", then yes, Alabama was "invaded" by Airbus.

I imagine this is a continuation of the investment they made during their win of the Tanker contract, which was taken from them.
They already spent the money and planned a factory, so they just went through with it.

I've worked at boeing; airbus makes decent planes.
I don't think they're as customized as Boeing jets, but they're as safe as anything FAA approved.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#25]
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

Edit:

Ok, someone already wrote that here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Some of us are industry people who know some shit about Airbus and just don't think it compares.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it swingset who said some people around here could complain about a free blowjob machine?

Yeah, I think that statement applies here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#28]
We have a soon to be vacant Boeing plant here.  Airbus should have a look at it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I don't know anyone involved in aircraft maintnence who has anything nice to say about airbus products.

Must not know anybody in MX then.

THey are a great product, the early A300 series had problems but that's about it. People have this weird perception of superior Boeing engineering which is actually the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have a soon to be vacant Boeing plant here.  Airbus should have a look at it.

No you don't, the manufacturing plant was sold to Spirit Aerosystems about 5 years ago.  You have a hangar complex that will be vacant after next year, and probably not for long.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Airbus coming to America??

Good......................We can use the jobs

GD
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

THey are a great product, the early A300 series had problems but that's about it. People have this weird perception of superior Boeing engineering which is actually the other way around.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it swingset who said some people around here could complain about a free blowjob machine?

Would you stick your dick in an Airbus blowjob machine?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When does school start back up?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you stick your dick in an Airbus blowjob machine?

If I was an AP mechanic in Mobile looking for a job you bet your ass I would.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The whole tanker contract thing made me realize I don't quite like Boeing as much as I had in the past.

Airbus won the first time around, but Boeing was a big cry baby about the whole thing. Airbus already had the plane design down they just needed a place to build them. Mobile is an excellent location. It has an interstate hwy, deep water port, and a huge airfield all in the same location. Airbus was ready to start building there as soon as they won the contract and would have created about 40-50K jobs. Well, an ex Boeing executive is a member of the Obama administration and Boeing is based out of Chicago. So, when Boeing finally won the contract it was kinda shady to me. All indications were that Airbus was going to win the contract at the time, so it was a surprise to see it go to Boeing.

Airbus didn't dispute losing the contract, so they decided to take it to Boeing by building their jets right here in the USA in a right to work state. So, Boeing and their unionized workforce can take a hike in my opinion.

BTW how many $$$$$ is Boeing already over budget on the tanker contract, and they don't even have a design ready yet.

Yeah, the 737 is a great plane, but the Airbus A320 is definitely a more comfortable aircraft to fly on.

What the AF did with the first RFP was a total sham. The Cargonostra wanted the 330 so bad the ability to be a Tactical Tanker was completely thrown to the side. Any requirement that the 330 failed was removed from the RFP requirements at the request of Airbus.

The 767 tanker is what the AF tanker community wanted in a 135 replacement.

Airbus in Alabama is a win win, Alot subsystems and components of Airbus Planes are already made right here in the USA.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious why you hate Airbus aircraft? Have you flown on one? I have flown the A320 a few times now, and was very surprised to find it a great ride. Boeing needs to step up to the plate and actually compete, instead of relying on brand name loyalty! Boeing kind of brought this on themselves, by buying up competing American aircraft Manufacturers, then shutting them down. Just look what they did to MD, and times that by how many now?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Details?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I would say 75% of Afrcom has never been to an airport, let alone flying on an Airbus....
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Competition. Maybe it will make Boeing out engineer the shit out of Airbus.

This is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I would say 75% of Afrcom has never been to an airport, let alone flying on an Airbus....

I have flown on a few of them, and they were all nice planes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Retreat Hell! We're just regrouping to attack the bar from a different angle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have flown on a few of them, and they were all nice planes.  

You are in the 25%....

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Wait...

Airbus... and Boeing now have manufacturing plants in right to work states?

I'm gonna just sit back and smile a bit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't like airbus for patriotic reasons. As I used to say when I was a pilot, scarebus.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you even know why you hate Airbus? Have you even left your mom's basement in the past 10 years?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm shocked and confused as to why they didn't decide to open up shop in Detroit.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Honest question: Whats with the Airbus hate all the time?
I fly 6-7 times per year on 12-14 different aircraft and I cant tell shit difference. They all seem to pick heavy things up and put them back down....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top