Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2018 5:17:39 PM EDT

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/11/us-air-force-small-arms-update/

The GAU-5/A Aircrew Self Defense Weapon was created in response to a requirement from Air Combat Command for a collapsible carbine which could be packed in an ejection seat.

So far, over 3,000 M4 carbines have been shipped to the Air Force Gunsmith Shop for modification which includes installation of a folding pistol grip and a quick barrel connector. Each weapon will be packed with 120 rounds of ammunition.

Air Force Global Strike Command is receiving the first quantities.
View Quote
Had not seen or heard of this.  Now this would be cool as fuck if they were to release the specs for the quick detach barrel system to the commercial market.  Very cool concept
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't a 7.5" AR do the same job without needing to be broken down, or at least without needing a fancy break-down system?

With modern ammo 7.5" ARs can be effective PDWs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couldn't a 7.5" AR do the same job without needing to be broken down, or at least without needing a fancy break-down system?

View Quote
From what I understand that won't pack nicely in an ejection seat pack.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Now that's what I would call a truck gun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
We are putting them in seat kits now.  Cool weapon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
There are already commercially available quick change/detachable barrel systems for the AR. Dolos makes one. I'm sure there are others.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Pistol caliber? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope the barrel mounting system gets out to some aftermarket manufacturers.  I would love to have something like that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the grip folding (which can still be added), a 7.5" AR broken into upper/lower should have a smaller footprint in every aspect than this weapon. Lighter too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hope the barrel mounting system gets out to some aftermarket manufacturers.  I would love to have something like that.
View Quote
There's a couple like that already on the market.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/09/foghorn/gear-review-cry-havoc-qrb-kit/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/25/huntertown-arms-dolos-qd-rail/

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Read my post above. Then google Dolos quick change barrel system.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Other than the grip folding (which can still be added), a 7.5" AR broken into upper/lower should have a smaller footprint in every aspect than this weapon. Lighter too.
View Quote
they had a cut down m4 for a few years now, cut right at the fsb

i guess they decided for all the ejections we had over there in the ME we needed to spend hundred of thousands for a weapon that will never be used.

stupidity
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now that's what I would call a truck  BUFF gun.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think they want to face an ISIS hit squad with a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i guess they decided for all the ejections we had over there in the ME we needed to spend hundred of thousands for a weapon that will never be used.

stupidity
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stupidity
You could issue a grenade, widely publicize the fact and see if any Haji's are brave enough to go hands-on to capture a pilot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh this again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Airforce-to-adopt-new-GAU-5-A-and-M4-improvements-/5-2109103/
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Well breaking down an AR into two halves is so hard

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
The idea is to keep the FCG closed up to prevent damage in the seat during an ejection.  The packaged gun is pretty small, it nests together well.  I was shown the gun today in fact.  I did not get my hands on it though.  I may go to the AFE shop and check one out tomorrow and will let you know about things like sights and such.  They looked like folding Magpuls but I am not sure right now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Double Down...
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Just go with a Bullpup

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
During the evaluation, Security Forces found that their shooters were accurate within 20 MOA of targets using the current M4 and M68 Close Combat Optic configuration. This measurement was based on the average capability of the shooters and not just the capability of the firearm, optic, and ammunition. With an IMR-Blue configured carbine, that improved to 3.7 MOA.
View Quote
Fine shooters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Given the weight and space concerns, for a fixed wing pilot, I'd prefer the new full size m17 with an MRD and a few extra hi caps.  If space allowed for something larger I'd take a suppressor packed with that kit over an sbr.

Worst case scenario being one guy behind enemy lines?  I'd rather have 4+1 mags, the hands free won't catch on brush small form factor, and the sound/flash suppression.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

stupidity  
View Quote
A few years ago Arfcom first heard about the AF putting M4s into ejection seat survival kits from someone involved in the F-15E program.  After that F-15E got shot down over Libya it was decided that something more than a handgun and a 10-shot 22 caliber survival rifle might really be needed for crews flying over the Middle East.

Glad to see the idea being carried out across the entire service.  And this article makes some sense out of a similar article a couple of days ago that did not give and details about why and for who in the AF.

I could not imagine why a sky cop would need such a gun.  But aircrews yeah.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Much is possible if you turn loose a world class gunsmith with no budgetary constraints.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#27]
You'd think this would be a perfect role for a P90... or MP7...

There are options that have the same form factor as this thing broken down, that DON'T require assembly after just falling out of an airplane, lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Given the weight and space concerns, for a fixed wing pilot, I'd prefer the new full size m17 with an MRD and a few extra hi caps.  If space allowed for something larger I'd take a suppressor packed with that kit over an sbr.

Worst case scenario being one guy behind enemy lines?  I'd rather have 4+1 mags, the hands free won't catch on brush small form factor, and the sound/flash suppression.
View Quote
For the survival vest a handgun with extra magazines and a suppressor does make sense especially if the enemy can't see your parachute or where you come down for example if a pilot of was shot down at night.

This weapon is in the seat and ads to the capability of the aircrew to survive, especially in a conflict where capture and being sent to a POW camp is not really what the enemy wants to do with pilots that fall from the sky.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Airforce-to-adopt-new-GAU-5-A-and-M4-improvements-/5-2109103/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top