Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 10:43:10 AM EDT
Aggie Muster - On April 21 of each year, on the anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto, Aggies gather together, wherever they are, to commemorate fellow Aggies who have died during the year. The tradition was begun 21 April 1903.

I have done this post a couple of times and will continue to do so because this is an important day for Aggies wherever they are around the world. It is also the 70th anniversary of the Corregidor Muster in 1946 after the end of WWII.

I had a vendor stop by today who is an Aggie so we had a brief recognition of the day between friends, though it seems odd to wish someone a Happy Muster in the face of the somber nature of the day. I have answered "Here" for friends more times than I care to think about and I know that as I age I will answer "Here" more often and that one day someone will say it for me. It is one of the things that I cherish about being an Aggie and why, even when it would have been easy to quit (I was a really bad student for a long time), I continued on and worked hard to get my ring and my diploma. After being a part of the family the thought of being separated from it for the rest of my life was more than I was willing to bear. I wanted someone to answer "Here" for me one day.

So, to my fellow Aggies, I hope that you have a good Aggie Muster Day. If you can find a fellow Ag, have a little to drink and eat and reminisce about your days at Aggieland.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
And, because it is the 70th anniversary of the Corregidor Muster...

This year marks the 70th anniversary of the memorable Aggie Muster Ceremony of April 21, 1946.  This event is best remembered by the famous photo, pictured below, of 127 Aggies posed with an Aggie flag proudly hung up behind them in front of Malinta Tunnel on the island of Corregidor in the Philippines.  These proud military men had much to be thankful for and to remember as they gathered on that April 21 in 1946, just a few months after the end of World War II.

Four years earlier, in 1942, it was a far different scenario on Corregidor.  The Japanese were attacking with a relentless fury, as it was key to controlling the Bay of Manila and securing this crucial area of the Pacific.   The U.S. and Allied forces were pinned down and fighting with every reserve they had to withstand the barrage.  According to the records, on April 21, 1942, General George F. Moore ‘08 asked Major Tom Dooley ’35 to get a list of the Aggies fighting on Corregidor.  There were 24 of them.  Major Dooley is quoted as saying to a news correspondent, "So we had a roll call, and a muster is a roll call.”  By the time this quote traveled back to the U.S. it had grown into the legend that there was an actual Muster gathering of the Aggies on Corregidor.  This news fueled desperate hope that all was not lost in the Pacific.  The tradition of Aggie Muster gained international recognition from this event.   Unfortunately, the fierce fighting would have prevented such a friendly gathering.  In fact, it was truly the last stand for the U.S. and Allied troops.  For the Texas Aggies involved it would be eerily comparable to the last stand at the Alamo against Santa Anna.  Less than a month later, on May 8, 1942, the Japanese would overtake Corregidor and all troops would be taken as prisoners and dispersed to very harsh and inhumane prison camps throughout the region.   Out of the 24 Aggies taken prisoner off Corregidor, only 12 returned home alive. General Douglas MacArthur had this to say about the brave Texas Aggies that he served and fought with in the Pacific:

"Texas A&M is writing its own military history in the blood of its graduates, not only in the Philippines Campaign but on the active fronts of the southwest Pacific.  Texans daily emblazon the record with outstanding feats of courage on land, on the sea and in the air.  No name stands out more brilliantly than the heroic defender of Corregidor, General George F. Moore.  Wherever I see a Texas man in my command I have a feeling of confidence.”

It would be this pride and the remembering of fallen classmates that would compel the 127 Aggies at the war’s end to return to Corregidor on April 21, 1946 in order to answer "here” for their friends and to celebrate victory and freedom.  There would be from this point on a renewed dedication and commitment to the sacred tradition of Muster.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always liked A&M's traditions. I hope my boys are Aggies some day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]

My dad was Corps of Cadets at A&M in the late 30's. He was a mule-skinner in the mounted cavalry.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the same hope for my boys. We started the brainwashing early.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My dad was Corps of Cadets at A&M in the late 30's. He was a mule-skinner in the mounted cavalry.

View Quote

Red ass!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]
My daughter is an Aggie. Never in the Corp. I knew I wanted her to go there. When we visited the campus, we got lost and asked a senior in the Corp how do you get to a particular building. Rather than point the way, he said let me take you over there. That's what it is all about. Respect, love of country...glad she is an Aggie and I'm proud to be an Aggie Dad. I was in the Corp at Virginia Tech.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My cousin is a QB for the Aggies.

Also, one of my co-worker's dad is in the pic in the 2nd post.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always found A&M to be the model university in TX, UT is too snotty and full of themselves.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember the first Muster I went to as a freshman in the Corps.

I also remember the first time I said "here" when I went to Muster.  Fortunately, I don't have to do that this year, however as I get older, I'm sure it'll become a frequent thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Going to the local Muster tonight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've always found A&M to be the model university in TX, UT is too snotty and full of themselves.
View Quote
Edited.  

I had no idea what muster was until this thread, I'm ashamed of myself and I apologize for my insensitive comment.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My oldest son is a freshman this year at A&M. My youngest son will be a freshman there next year.
(Irish twins)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm thinking you haven't met many aggies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My my, what a broad brush you paint with....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Gig 'em.  Working tonight, but have a solemn Muster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Here (Class of '87, Sq10)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I also remember the first time I said "here" when I went to Muster.  Fortunately, I don't have to do that this year, however as I get older, I'm sure it'll become a frequent thing.
View Quote

Same for me this year, thankfully.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing says class like shitting in a thread about a tradition to remember and honor people who have passed on, am I right?  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
RIP Major Nate W Anderson USMC.

I miss the Gangster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully youre joking but still uncalled for in this thread
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
For those of you going to Muster who don't have anyone to say "here" for, I'd like to make a suggestion.  

I didn't personally know him, but he's a friend of a friend and it has been emotional seeing the family deal with his loss.  By all accounts he was a good man, a good Aggie and a good Marine.

So if you have no one else to represent, say here for Maj Shawn Campbell tonight.  Aggie Class of 2001 and Marine Corps pilot, lost on Jan 14th off the coast of Hawaii along with 11 other Marines when their CH-53s went down.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Here
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Here
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do realize this is GD, but this thread is NOT the place for your BS.  If you want to crap on your university's dead alumni, please feel free.  Don't come into a thread about Aggie Muster and belittle a tradition that celebrates the lives of the deceased sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers that attended Texas A&M.

Spinone '91
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#31]
here
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I will say "here" tonight for my buddy Hans Betten '96 who passed away this past year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Gig 'em.  Working tonight, but have a solemn Muster.
View Quote

Same here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Here
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Edited.  

I had no idea what muster was until this thread, I'm ashamed of myself and I apologize for my insensitive comment.  

View Quote

Out of all of the various traditions around the school, Muster has always been the one with the most impact to me.

If you ever get a chance to go to one on campus, it is a moving experience.  Heck, even one of the Musters held around the world on April 21st is worth going to once just to see the event.

I see you're in Illinois.  I believe there is a Muster held in Chicago every year if you're curious about it.

There were a couple of men on campus this year from the Corregidor Muster pictured earlier in the thread.  If I had known, I would have gone down just to get a chance to hear them talk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top