Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2012 8:43:48 PM EDT
Wife has a high torque 383 GM performance crate motor in her little half ton chevy.
Running STRONG , and stone reliable with a Holley 670cfm carb at present..
Starts instantly, in cold weather with no choke, but wont idle until it is all warmed up, and gets horrible carb icing  in warm weather.. anything over about 25 degrees it is an ornery cantankerous Bitch.

Wife would really enjoy a turn-key reliable "Start it and walk away from a smoothly idling truck" type of fuel injection.
Anybody here have any experience with the FAST  or Accel DFI  or Holley aftermarket fuel injection systems? Not afraid to throw down  $1700 bucks, but NEED dead nuts reliable dependable system,  dont EVER want to get a call from wife in a snowstorm 200 miles from home at midnight needing a tow.

Top priority is RELIABILITY.
second parameter is idle quality.
cold starts must be instantaneous.
throttle feel, and all out horsepower are secondary.
fuel economy is  a factor.
 Thanks for any input, or comment.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The ez-efi kit by FAST looks pretty good.  $1700 kit is without a fuel pump though.

What year truck?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
1990 Chev.
Stock fuel pump in tank, Ran 15 PSI into original TBI system.
Using Mallory bypass regulator at carburetor set to 7PSI.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Something like this should work just fine..

http://www.holley.com/550-400.asp
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure about price but the new FAST EZ-EFI 2.0 looks to be the easiest install and tuning retrofit on the market.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not go back with the TBI tuned for your engine? Using all the stock stuff with a tuned chip gives you easy parts replacement, and a nice simple system. 670 cfm throttle bodies are the norm anyway.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Go with a good kit, not a bare bones drag racing setup.

Pro-efi
AEM
Motec

You are really going to want it tuned by a pro.  And probably installed by the pro.  So....  Ask that tuner what they recommend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a fuel tank for 97-99 truck and you can use factory fuel pump and lines on the truck already if the system you choose needs 55-60 psi.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
F.A.S.T. system is not an all out drag racing system, FWIW. It is a very reliable streetable system that I did a LOT of reading on and comparisons with the others on the market before I plunked down the cash to buy one.  Unfortunately though, I cannot give you a report on it's performance since my project is still being put together. I did however find a dealer in my state that sells it for $200 less than Summit Racing. But since sales tax would have kicked the price back up, I used their internet ad to get a price match with Summit Racing with no sales tax

Since I bought mine, MSD has come out with what looks like a very nice system too. I avoided the Holly system due to their past performance/support with their older FI systems. And they market it as being able to control timing using TFI distributor, but when I was ready to pull the trigger, they still had not written the program, nor had the wiring harness on the market yet. I wasn't taking a chance on them getting around to writing a program for something I had almost $2K invested in.
Professional Products makes one that some users on the Vintage Mustang Forums use, and they highly recommend with no problems what so ever.  I decided against it since so many of their products have had some high failure rates due to off shore quality.
Here's the SC speed shop I mentioned:
Atlantic Speed
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a fuel tank for 97-99 truck and you can use factory fuel pump and lines on the truck already if the system you choose needs 55-60 psi.

This.  

You can buy dead-nuts reliable FI from the junkyard.  The wiring harness is the biggest issue.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
you currently have a lot of choices that didn't exist before.
as stated FAST offers 2 systems.
ez efi and their standard fast setup.

both are self tuning, so no issues there.
ez does not control spark, so you need a seperate setup.
the standard fast is more expensive, but controls both spark and fuel.

atomic by msd. is pretty new, but has gotten some high marks.
also self tuning, no tuner needed. it also doesn't seem to control spark, as they pair it with their spark control system.

holley, but as stated, this would be their 3rd attempt maybe 4th, and they sucked all the other times. not worth the risk when there are other choices out there.

Edelbrock- also puts a self tuning system out apparently, and are pretty big in the chevy aftermarket. but generally are overpriced compared to other systems.

As stated, you could look into the stock computer and tbi setup that came on that truck, but what was missed was your engine isn't stock. and it would require a tuner to work with that you have. so while the parts might be cheap, the tuner might take that out as a "cheap" alternitive.

painless also makes a perfect managment system, and they offer a tunable feature, but then you have to tune it yourself with a laptop. it might be cheaper, as it would use most of the stock gm hardware to run, but you would have to price that out.

I currently run a painless setup, but have not bothered to take it to a dyno to tune it, so it runs, but not as well as it could.
I am looking at the fast setup, as it has some of the longer runs and better reviews.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Really hoping someone with on the ground REAL world daily driver experience chimes in.
I have the catalogs, and have read all the advertising.
 I know what the various systems are CLAIMED to do.
Waiting  for a genuine USER review of the FAST or  comparable system.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If it were me I'd just reinstall the TBI stuff. Unless the cam is wild and doesn't pull much vaccume the computer can cope with minor changes in displacement and mild mods especially with some up sized injectors and fuel pressure tweaking.

All in all the trucks original fuel injection is more capable than many realize
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
we live and breath aftermarket EFI in my circle of friends but your criteria are not going to be very well met by what we all run. Mega squirt and its only about 300-500 for a setup. Also the most configurable on the market with the possible acceptation of a VERY costly motec. ease of instillation is pretty low as its mostly for tinkerers and DIY crowd.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really hoping someone with on the ground REAL world daily driver experience chimes in.

Perhaps you should try some auto boards then instead of a gun board.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I will say that there is a young lady on the Vintage Mustang Forums that drives and has built her '66 Fastback that praises her Professional Products Powerjection III system.  

Powerjection install
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Leaning  in the direction of the FAST EZ-efi
Main concern is reliAbility. I sure would like to know it's minimum operating voltage, and wonder how many ECM have failed in operation, requiring replacement.
.. Also, tech support is a concern, waited on hold for a while, never got to talk to anybody at FAST.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Leaning  in the direction of the FAST EZ-efi
Main concern is reliAbility. I sure would like to know it's minimum operating voltage, and wonder how many ECM have failed in operation, requiring replacement.
.. Also, tech support is a concern, waited on hold for a while, never got to talk to anybody at FAST.

That is one of the benefits of going with Holley..I think I called at like 8pm and I got my call answered right away. .
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
we live and breath aftermarket EFI in my circle of friends but your criteria are not going to be very well met by what we all run. Mega squirt and its only about 300-500 for a setup. Also the most configurable on the market with the possible acceptation of a VERY costly motec. ease of instillation is pretty low as its mostly for tinkerers and DIY crowd.  

Tell me more about the MEGA.. Are you running it yourself on a daily driver?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#19]
mega squirt is a diy system. it is not a plug and play running system.
it is cheapest because you have to assemble everything. circuit boards, wiring, everything.
there are a few people that will build you a controler but then it just ups the price.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#20]
TBI is the most reliable system ever.  Has great idle and start up.  Probably the easiest since it was there originally.   Low pressure equals less stress on parts. Easy to find parts for and cheap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm really telling you the factory TBI with a little upgrade will work perfectly for you. Upgrades are a 670 throttle body and a chip burned for your engine specs. Stupid reliable, tough, easy going, computer will even give you trouble codes for easy DIY fixing if needed. Injectors are easy to find and replace, you wouldn't even have to change your current intake, a TBI adaptor and then the rest of the parts and you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top