Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2016 9:59:07 AM EDT

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/orlando-homemade-ar-15-industry-surges/

In the wake of the worst mass shooting in US history, many Americans want to ban civilians from buying the AR-15, that ultra-popular, all-American killing tool. But in basements and garages around the country, another group of Americans is collecting the machines and materials to make those firearms in the privacy of their own homes. And for them, just as much as for gun control advocates, Orlando represents a call to arms. Senate Democrats reacted to the massacre by filibustering until Republicans agreed to allow a vote on four gun control measures. Every measure failed on Monday night. But even fears of such legislation have lead gun owners to stock up on guns and ammunition
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
the result is a lethal weapon that’s free from background checks, waiting periods, serial numbers, or any other government involvement.
View Quote

So how it should be anyways?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
the result is a lethal weapon that’s free from background checks, waiting periods, serial numbers, or any other government involvement.

the same way it was from the founding of the country, until the 1960's when they made serial numbers mandatory.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be tempted to do an 80 lower but all I have is a dremel and a shitty harbor freight drill press. Pretty sure I'd mess it up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess they'll find out in November...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The way things are looking here, California might be banning chunks of metal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd be tempted to do an 80 lower but all I have is a dremel and a shitty harbor freight drill press. Pretty sure I'd mess it up.
View Quote
You can complete it with the drill press

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Scour locals for a used mini mill. Bought my grizzly for 150 off cl last year, $40 in parts and 25 for a Chinese blue vise copy and all good.

Quoted:
Quoted:
You can complete it with the drill press

You can also buy a mill vise that may help with travel and use a end mill with a 3/8 shank
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
ARs, Stens, zip guns; the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Didn't take long for the rubbish plastic ones to pop up in the thread.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't go anywhere without falling into a pile of 7075 aluminum shavings.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait until they find out you can *gasp* buy blocks of aluminum on ebay!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
don't go into the shed barefoot, not that I know what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ARs, Stens, zip guns; the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.
View Quote

700 year old technology that can be made in a cave, a low estimate of 300,000,000 in the US, porous borders that pass thousands of tons of drugs and tens of thousands of illegals a year - the idea of "limiting access to criminals" is hilarious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think you missed the point: you can pretty much make an AR lower out of just about anything.  Perhaps they are kind of pointless right now, when you can buy a forged lower for less than $50, but that may not always be the case.  It might not last very long, but in certain situations, a plastic lower that nobody knows you have might be very useful when it's illegal to manufacture them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Home made AR's should be the least of their worries......

wait till every gangbanger has a garage-built SMG instead of a Jennings or H&R .22 ............
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]
"All American killing tool"

I'm really sick of sensationalist bullshit. All I want is to be left alone. You treat me like a criminal no matter what I do, then I might as well be one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

DON'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T APPROVE! is out in full force within a couple posts.

FFS, how do some of you guys get through the day without a stroke or heart attack?

IF the guy wants to experiment with cast uppers that cost $2.50 each to make, who cares if they are only good for a couple hundred rounds.  It's fun, and interesting new ground. And the casting materials will only improve with time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think you missed the point: you can pretty much make an AR lower out of just about anything.  Perhaps they are kind of pointless right now, when you can buy a forged lower for less than $50, but that may not always be the case.  It might not last very long, but in certain situations, a plastic lower that nobody knows you have might be very useful when it's illegal to manufacture them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you can make a weak, breakage prone "lower" out of almost anything. You can also make a helicopter. I'm going to call your argument, The African Helicopter Fallacy

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:DON'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T APPROVE! is out in full force within a couple posts.

FFS, how do some of you guys get through the day without a stroke or heart attack?

IF the guy wants to experiment with cast uppers that cost $2.50 each to make, who cares if they are only good for a couple hundred rounds.  It's fun, and interesting new ground. And the casting materials will only improve with time.

View Quote

$340 plus shipping plus time cost to make shit lowers when you could have half a dozen aluminum lowers for the same cost.

This isn't just stop liking what I don't like. This is fuckin dumb.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

At a minimum it will require labeling -

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Home made AR's should be the least of their worries......

wait till every gangbanger has a garage-built SMG instead of a Jennings or H&R .22 ............
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/swedishhomemadesmgs5-improguns-660x371.jpg
View Quote

Pardon my ignorance, but what types of firearms are those?  Are those the Stens?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of those "plastic" lowers have been lasting for 300 or more rounds at a time. Plenty enough for a couple of fights. If it breaks, oh well, fall back, pull out a spare lower and rock on. Or, pick up the bad guys guns and use his.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, you can make a weak, breakage prone "lower" out of almost anything. You can also make a helicopter. I'm going to call your argument, The African Helicopter Fallacy

http://www.gadgets-club.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/mubarak-muhammad-abdullahihelicopter.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.gadgets-club.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/mubarak-muhammad-abdullahihelicopter.jpg

You somehow managed to read my post and still completely missed my point.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have one of these?

Edit: Looks like they just released a new model:

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would have said Sandy Hook was the bigger event. Orlando didn't produce the sudden demand nearly as much as Sandy Hook, unless you're looking to write a crappy online article.

The “ULTIMATE” 80% AR-10 & AR-15 Receiver Jig is… Ultimate
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/4-e1fGVWNQ3e-660x441.jpg
View Quote

That's beautiful!

How much???

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy ammo. If you cant afford a bunch of ammo, atleast get a bunch of powder and primers. Homemade guns are easy, homemade primers and powder not so much.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have done half a dozen by now, if the 80% forgings didn't cost nearly as much, if not more, than a commercial lower.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just wait til everyone figures out one of the uses of aluminum powder
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rubbish or not, they certainly have their place.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your point was better than his point. Hope that makes you feel better about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's all I've got. Hasn't stopped me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You can hear the routers and dremels whirring
View Quote

Peak Aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

So,you want to make a Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

So you want to fire a few shots then bin it. But it isn't registered, so the only point of that would be to ditch the whole gun. I don't think that would be as useful as your active imagination seems to assume.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, what's left then? Doesn't that mean there's a total ban beyond a few handguns?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would have said Sandy Hook was the bigger event. Orlando didn't produce the sudden demand nearly as much as Sandy Hook, unless you're looking to write a crappy online article.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/4-e1fGVWNQ3e-660x441.jpg
View Quote

Damn that looks cool.  Not quite as cool as my stack of stripped Anderson lowers, but for some, I see the necessity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Ak flats are easier.  Too bad aks suck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not to be that guy, but did you click on and read the link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's beautiful!

How much???

$189 plus $60 if you need the tool package.  Actually less letters than you wrote, and you are a cock for making me read the fucking article.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$189 plus $60 if you need the tool package.  Actually less letters than you wrote, and you are a cock for making me read the fucking article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's beautiful!

How much???

I appreciate your foul mouthed response.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've done one with a dremel and a hand drill.  Go slow, and measure often, checking against a completed one.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top