Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:44:01 AM EDT
I started Atkins back on June 22nd in the hopes it would save my life. I was at 335 pounds and literally could not walk across the street without gasping for breath. At 47 years old I knew that big time health problems were just around the corner if I did not do something to stop the trainwreck.

I set a goal of losing 100 pounds. Seemed pretty daunting when I started, such a long ways to go. The first month I lost 12 pounds, encouraged by that I stuck with it. Before I knew it I had lost 25 pounds and felt good enough to start walking on the treadmill. That seemed to really kick my metabolism into gear.

Here I am 4 months later and I have lost 57 pounds now. My knees, back and feet dont hurt anymore. I can walk a couple miles a day on the treadmill at a pretty good clip. Ive lost 6 inches around my chest, 8 inches around my belly and my waist has went from 48 to 38. I havent felt this good in 20 years.

The coolest thing is, the ladies are looking at me again with lust in their eyes.....and vice versa. For all you couch commando's out there killing yourselves a bite at a time, It doesnt have to be that way. Change is hard but its good.

See ya again when Ive lost 100 pounds
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear! Now keep going and there's no need to stop at 100!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Well done, keep up the good work!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
WTG!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing like positive results to keep you motivated.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You're kickin' ass, man!

Keep it up!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the encouragement guys...its appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Good job.

Ive been telling ppl that is actually pretty easy to lose weight. Look at front page of yahoo a few days ago, some BasketBall Player lost 20lbs just dropping MountainDew from his diet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Good work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good job.

Ive been telling ppl that is actually pretty easy to lose weight. Look at front page of yahoo a few days ago, some BasketBall Player lost 20lbs just dropping MountainDew from his diet.

The hardest thing about losing weight is just making up your mind that you want to lose weight.

After I got my mind right, the rest of it fell into place
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations. Atkins really works, no doubt. The downside is, you've got to either stay on it forever or come out the other side with a solid plan and stick with it. I've lost 50 lbs on atkins 3 times, and put it right back on the folllowing year. Be careful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I did something similar a few years back. I lost over 50 pounds and got right to my "ideal" weight. I felt great. The first few weeks were really hard. After that, no problem at all. The weight came off fairly quickly and within a year, I was down to 175.

However, with my thyroid problem, I found it impossible to maintain and I put on a good bit of weight again. I am back up to 215, not nearly where I was, but not perfect. Also, I am finding that just a little bit of food piles the pounds on, right away. I also injured myself exercising and had to limit that too. From what I can tell, weight maintenance is more difficult than the diet. My only suggestion is to carefully watch what and how much you eat, always.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
huge Congrats, thats a serious accomplisment,,I would hand you a trophy If I had one...

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I started Atkins back on June 22nd in the hopes it would save my life. I was at 335 pounds and literally could not walk across the street without gasping for breath. At 47 years old I knew that big time health problems were just around the corner if I did not do something to stop the trainwreck.

I set a goal of losing 100 pounds. Seemed pretty daunting when I started, such a long ways to go. The first month I lost 12 pounds, encouraged by that I stuck with it. Before I knew it I had lost 25 pounds and felt good enough to start walking on the treadmill. That seemed to really kick my metabolism into gear.

Here I am 4 months later and I have lost 57 pounds now. My knees, back and feet dont hurt anymore. I can walk a couple miles a day on the treadmill at a pretty good clip. Ive lost 6 inches around my chest, 8 inches around my belly and my waist has went from 48 to 38. I havent felt this good in 20 years.

The coolest thing is, the ladies are looking at me again with lust in their eyes.....and vice versa. For all you couch commando's out there killing yourselves a bite at a time, It doesnt have to be that way. Change is hard but its good.

See ya again when Ive lost 100 pounds

thats awesome. really it is very awesome. I was always a skinny kid and snickered at the fat people. about 10 years ago my metabolism ground to a halt and my diet went down hill. I weighed 149 lbs after highschool and 16 years later its 220. about 6 weeks ago i moved in with my GF and have been eating WAY better. I lost 10 lbs in the last month just eating better food. (i was about 230 ish)

this morning she dragged me out of bed and we went for a walk on a track at a park. I did 1.75 miles she did 2. we'll be doing this every morning from now on. I'd like to loose an additional 35-40 lbs.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I did Atkins to get back to weight after four surgeries and lots of meds balooned me to 227.  I got down to 190 on Atkins but felt like crap.  I ate what seemed reasonable to maintain the 190 but with in a few months was back to 227.

Switching strategies I went the opposite direction and cut out red meat.  I still eat poultry three times a week.  I eat several small meals and a good meal at dinner.  Went from 227 to 163 and am holding pleasently while getting plenty of nourishment.  This has been going well for nine months.

Atkins is good, but only works while your on it and destroys your muscle mass and it seems the weight comes right back w/ out a strict diet once off the Atkins.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#20]
That's most excellent!  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#21]
i think blood type matters for atkins.
My wife tried it to no avail.
Worked great for me.
Neither of us was that big, however.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn dude!  WTG!     But 275# @ 38" waist?  You've gotta be no shorter than 6'4".  Or have a BUNCH of muscle packed on someplace.    None the less WTG!!!  

Take us thru a day in your life now if you would.  Meals and workout regime?     I need to loose some #'s as well.   I could use your plan as a primer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome bud.  Atkins is great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Atkins is good, but only works while your on it and destroys your muscle mass and it seems the weight comes right back w/ out a strict diet once off the Atkins.

Good job OP
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#25]
GREAT JOB!!!! Keep it up, now!

A few years back, I lost 33 lbs on Atkins, then switched to just eating regular healthily balanced meals, but had slowly slipped back into my old ways.

I'm really trying to motivate myself to get back with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/6808/rolleyes11sc.gif

Good job OP

Definitely not true. It took me THREE YEARS to gain back what I lost on it, and was absolutlely my own fault.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Good job keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice work man!!!!

I was hovering around 315 in 2008 and made a similar commitment over the past year .... I'm currently hovering around 208 and looking to break the 200 pound barrier by the end of the year. I'm just a whisker over being in what would be considered a 'Normal' BMI range, so still just barely overweight, but infinitely healthier than I was a year ago. So, yep, the goal is definitely acheivable.

Exercise + sensible diet ... amazing how the stuff they keep harping on us to do actually works when you make it a part of your lifestyle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Great job.  I feel terrible as I was actually finishing up a cookie while reading this..............
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice going!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#34]
We are rooting for you.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#35]
That's AWESOME brother. Keep it going.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Always glad to hear about someone getting in shape.  Makes my day.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#37]
HOT DAMN, I'm glad to hear that!

I just started Atkins on Sunday. I was pushing 290 at 6' 3", and it's all in the WRONG places. At only 42, I was worried I'd keel over and die, leaving my lovely bride alone and my two children in the sole graps of my sick-as-all-getout ex-wife. Not only that, but I too was having difficulties in walking or exerting myself, and a hell of a lot of good all the guns and gear will be if I can't carry them further than a block. What good would I be to my wife then?

My goal is to hit 225 as quickly as possible. If I need to lose more, I'll figure it out then.

After that, I guess I'll live doing the Weight Watchers points system. If I ever hit 10 pounds above my goal, back on Atkins I go until it's gone.

Maybe....... SOMEDAY........ I'll actually exercise.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/6808/rolleyes11sc.gif

Good job OP

Definitely not true. It took me THREE YEARS to gain back what I lost on it, and was absolutlely my own fault.

I did Atkins years ago and went from 270 to 217 in about two months, if that.

It took me five years to gain it back, and another six or so to add to where I am now. Yes, it was my fault, but it didn't happen overnight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#39]
NICE!!!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Well done!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Congrats.

That is fantastic progress and it sounds like you have the mind set to keep losing and getting more fit.

I started a mini diet about 6 weeks ago and have gone from 259 to 245lbs without altering much except eating smaller portions.

I think I'll keep it up until I get to around 220lbs or so. I am 6' - 1 and carrying 250 plus was getting old.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Good job, now keep up the good work!

I used to weigh around 240, through portion-control and good ole exercise I dropped to 155ish.

I've been stable at my current weight for a few years now, and I've never felt better in my life.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Atkins rocks - I ate a steady diet of bacon, sausage, hamburger patties, and eggs.  I lost 40+ pounds and my cholesterol dropped from 225 to 165.  The key to resuming "normal" eating is to add carbs VERY slowly back into the diet.

Great job, OP.  Keep it going!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#44]

(just water)

Congrats!  Watch out for the damage it can do to your kidneys.  Also gout can be caused by this.  Try to go as low on meat as you can, drink lots of water, and take B6 and Magnesium.  *Disclaimer: Of course that is just my researched opinion and experience.  Always consult a physician before doing any diets/exercise programs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Thats awesome...keep up the great work!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#46]
the look on that clapping guys face cracks my ass up!

Good job man, congrats.

Eating is 98% of getting the weight off.

Eat a healthy breakfast within an hour of waking up then a light snack like meal to stave off the hunger every two hours after.
Eat a decent Dinner 1.5-2oz of lean meat and 1 cup of spinach or other leafy greens and 1.5 cups of veges. at least 2 hours before bed and not after 6 pm

This is how you feed a machine, your body is a machine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I lost 45 pounds in 4 months on that diet back in 2002.  That diet is the shit.  I obviously you don't stay on it forever but the critics say you'll just gain the weight right back...well yeah, if you're downing boxes of twinkies every day.  Otherwise if you just eat normally after that you're not magically going to gain all of the weight back.

IMO some health nuts trash it because they've dedicated their lives to eating nasty "healthy" foods, going to the gym 3 hours a day and once a month being able to take a day off and splurge on an M&M.  Meanwhile my formerly fat ass is chowing down on 4 tasty cheese covered hamburger patties for lunch and not eating much better the rest of the day with absolutely no excersize and shedding weight like it's my job.

I'm sure atkins is bad for cholesterol/bp or whatever but the positive effects of losing all that weight in the relatively short term surely outweight the short term risks for those that really need to drop a lot of fat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Good job!  

Start looking into the next stage of healthy living so you can *maintain* that healthy weight, once achieved.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
GREAT JOB!!!! Keep it up, now!

A few years back, I lost 33 lbs on Atkins, then switched to just eating regular healthily balanced meals, but had slowly slipped back into my old ways.

I'm really trying to motivate myself to get back with it.

I went 4 months on it with absolutely NO EXCERSIZE (fat, lazy)  I had taken a weightlifting class in HS (PE) so I knew my bench press was 215...4 months later 190 after the atkins and it took about 3 weeks to get it back to 205...then I joined te army and stopped lifting weights....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I did Atkins to get back to weight after four surgeries and lots of meds balooned me to 227.  I got down to 190 on Atkins but felt like crap.  I ate what seemed reasonable to maintain the 190 but with in a few months was back to 227.

Switching strategies I went the opposite direction and cut out red meat.  I still eat poultry three times a week.  I eat several small meals and a good meal at dinner.  Went from 227 to 163 and am holding pleasently while getting plenty of nourishment.  This has been going well for nine months.

The studies I've seen show that Atkins is better in that it destroys less muscle mass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top