Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 1:23:46 AM EDT
Anyone else here addicted to eBay? You can find pretty much every useless piece of crap you never wanted there, but at the same time you can get a shitload of bargain deals for stuff you really want.

ForTheHunt.com ([url]www.forthehunt.com[/url]) doesn't even come close. The prices over there are way too high, with starting bids close to what you would pay in any local gun store.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Did gunbroker change their domain, and keep the same look, or is that a mirror?
View Quote
I believe it's a mirror.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's Gunbroker's "newer, democrat friendly" name.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone call it forthehunt.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone call it forthehunt.com
View Quote
I used to end up at gunbroker.com (major pop-up warning!)when I was trying to get to gunbroker.net, and then out of a fluke I learned that forthehunt.com would take me to the same place, plus I would remember the domain name.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to end up at gunbroker.com (major pop-up warning!)when I was trying to get to gunbroker.net, and then out of a fluke I learned that forthehunt.com would take me to the same place, plus I would remember the domain name.
View Quote

I just checked and they all take you to the same page, with no popups. I've always went to www.gunbroker.com and if you type www.gunbroker.net you still go to www.gunbroker.com. In any case, they all suck. It was cool when it first started up, but now it's mostly just expensive junk.

I do go to eBay a lot though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I've bought a few things there.  Usually it's cheaper somewhere else online.

I saved about $10 (after ffl fee and shipping) when I bought my Glock on gunbroker.com.  Most of the stuff there is overpriced.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've bought a little, but I've sold a lot! There is no better place to hook up with fools that will pay twice what your junk is worth with a smile on their face. They are worth every penny of their commission.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I rarely use ebay to buy gun accessories but I do  use it for just about everything else.  I love ebay, right now I cannot seem to stop buying pneumatic cylinders and valves.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the fact that within five minutes I can find something that I've spent years trying to find elsewhere. And if you're a collector of anything that is not gun or sex related you can find pretty much anything you're in the market for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been known to spend to much there...

Can't help it...

Love the cheesy commercials too  [:P]

Blasted antis...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#14]
[;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been buying & selling on Ebay for years.
You can find almost anything on it and people will buy stuff I would throw in the trash!

One mans trash is another mans treasure...Ebay proves it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought the newest iMac there for a mere $599 plus $80 Shipping and Handling. Boy, did I ever steal that computer!

[img]http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/appleiic/lcd_front.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought the newest iMac there for a mere $599 plus $80 Shipping and Handling. Boy, did I ever steal that computer!

[url]http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/appleiic/lcd_front.jpg[/url]
View Quote

[:D] LOL!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of A-10 Warthog patches up for auction right now.

[url]http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=weasel%40ecis.com&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25[/url]
View Quote

White Castle Coffee Mug.....and you have a bidder!
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Ebay is great for selling but unless you are looking for a hard to find item it's generally too much money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I've found some great deals at ebay, but the shipping since the post office increased rates, is a killer.  Everybody wants to send you out stuff expensive Priority Mail.  

Unfortunately, I've spent a lot on stuff and it does become a habit.  I now just put in a reasonable proxy bid and if I don't win the auction, so what.

It's a great place to find gifts for people who have collections of one thing or another.

I haven't been stung yet (crossing fingers).[:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Before Ebay became overrun with dealers selling garbage, you used to could find some good deals.  Now it's mostly "PowerSellers" pimping overpriced junk often with the characters "L@@K" in the title.

Besides, every time I find something I think is a good deal, I remember the times I was ripped-off.  I now look through the listing more for entertainment than to actually buy.  Ebay claims to have a fraud guarantee of up to the first $200 minus a $25 processing fee.  I've filled-out the form at http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/frs-claimform.html 11(?) times that I didn't receive anything from the seller, and mailed the form in.  Ebay hasn't mail a single check in return.  Their fraud guarantee [i]is[/i] a fraud.  Fortunately in all but one of those times, I was buying things for work.  Getting ripped-off for $100+ a few times, and in one case it was a $3,500 generator, can easily negate any previous savings.  With most items, it just cheaper to buy locally over the long-run.  Ebay never even disabled the seller's account after we sent them a copy of the canceled bank check for the $3,500 generator.  About three months later, the guy posted the same generator for sale.  We sent another letter to Ebay, and they didn't even remove the item.  The guy probably took someone else for several thousand.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn zoom, that is some bad luck streak you have going. Cheated 11 times? I know I wouldn't bid anymore. I can see fraudulent dealers taking a couple of dozen folks for $20, but if I lost $3,500 I'd be on a plane with a 3 pound hammer in my luggage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#25]
but if I lost $3,500 I'd be on a plane with a 3 pound hammer in my luggage.
View Quote

That was our reaction at work.  A couple of the rougher guys here really wanted to get on a plane to head to Arizona "to handle it."  My next question was, after you got there and assuming you could find someone responsible at the company, then what would you do?   bigdb1, what would you do with your 3 pound hammer?  Knock on a door then hit whoever comes to the door over the head with the hammer?  We had a local contact take it to small claims court, but the judge didn't think a bid on Ebay constituted a contract or agreement, so he ruled against us.  The local police weren't interested in pursing the case.  We wasted much more than that $3,500, because we had already paid shipping on a truck for it and for two guys with a small crane to disconnect it and place it on a pallet for shipping.

I haven't checked in a while, but the last time I looked, the guy was still selling large items on Ebay.  Also, every one of his feedbacks were positive.  We didn't know we had gotten taken until after 90 days had passed, so Ebay didn't allow us to leave negative feedback.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]
-sigh- I suppose you're right. But damn! $3,500 plus! Someone should lose a knee over that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Before Ebay became overrun with dealers selling garbage, you used to could find some good deals.  Now it's mostly "PowerSellers" pimping overpriced junk often with the characters "L@@K" in the title.
View Quote

What I would like to know is where they get all the crap that they sell? Not the ones who sell for above retail, but the people that sell for just below what you can get it elsewhere for. I have seen the countless ads for ebooks on "free merchandise", "I could be banned from ebay for selling this", but I know that isn't the way they get the stuff. How do they do it?
tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top