Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/22/2023 9:49:06 PM EDT
Rocket Launchers and The Dangers of Back-Blast! - Ballistic High-Speed

They were testing backblast effects with a carl gustav and RPG-7 against ballistic dummies.

Accident around 8:38

Follow-up vid

My RPG-7 Exploded On Me (in Slow Motion) - Ballistic High-Speed
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
8:45 is the round that failed

Saw the dude in town earlier,  

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just saw that I’m glad he survived and isn’t in critical condition. Hopefully they will be back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
guess they fucked around and found out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess that explains why the scout sniper I once knew said he'd "never touch those pieces of shit"

How often do these things catastrophically fail?  Cracked rocket motor?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That looked rough, glad he’s alive.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ouch.

Hope he recovers fully. They put out some great content.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess that explains why the scout sniper I once knew said he'd "never touch those pieces of shit"

View Quote

those didn't look like "real" rockets. Someones homebrewed on a printer stuff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If so, that seems like a reaaaaally bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck  Fairly certainly I know the guy who's RPG that was.  Talked to him a bunch when getting my 07/02.  Looks like his social media and website are gone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
They offered one up @$200 a shot in Cambodia when I was at the range.  What could go wrong?  I declined.  Same with tossing their old ass frags.
Edit: rpg-7 not CG.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quite a bit of tardation in that vid, there was no reason for the guy not shooting to be crouched down in front of and below the guy shooting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quite a bit of tardation in that vid, there was no reason for the guy not shooting to be crouched down in front of and below the guy shooting.
View Quote

The end clip discusses safety but one or two of them pull shots without even safety glasses on.  The guy injured has them on for his shot so he probably got real lucky on his eyes.  I would like to see the RPG tube as I figure its an overpressure event.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
My guess is that they had that fake head WAY too close to the back of the tube. It obstructed enough of the pressure evacuation to cause a catastrophic failure of the tube.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to point out as a PSA here:

"Call 911!" is a fucking stupid statement. If it's occurring to you that "oh sheet, I need an amberlamps!", then start rooting around in your cleavage for that iPhone and call the fucking number yourself.

It's a classic example of bystander effect. Get it in your head to ACT when something occurs, rather than shout in a hopeful manner that someone else will Do The Thing That Needs Doing. This inclination needs to be trained out of people. The best way I'm aware of is this: to decide ahead of time that when something occurs your plan is to start acting. Not to wait, not to hope others will, not to look around. But that the very instant you realize that shit hit the fan, that you're already moving to or away from the threat, situational dependent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My guess is that they had that fake head WAY too close to the back of the tube. It obstructed enough of the pressure evacuation to cause a catastrophic failure of the tube.

View Quote

I was wondering if that had anything to do with, it was way closer than I expected it would be.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in shorts and flip flops but firing rockets or recoilless with lots of ejected powder burning is pretty stupid.
No pop out stabilizing fins on the rockets is not good and the effort to load looked a little "tight".

Rocket motors are complex in composition , end or core burning along with casing , throat , nozzle , etc.
No reason to shoulder fire experimental designs IMHO.

Hope the guy fully recovers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not think that was a factory round.

With that said I only shoot rounds I take out of factory wrap and I X ray the tubes first and look for cracks.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The CarlG is an incredibly reliable platform as is the RPG7.  Something fishy here
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
There are times when I want to get into destructive devices, then I see a image of a mangled hand from a n exploded grenade launcher or a video like this and realize maybe it’s best to just stick with suppressors, SBRs and machine guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Call 911!" is a fucking stupid statement. If it's occurring to you that "oh sheet, I need an amberlamps!", then start rooting around in your cleavage for that iPhone and call the fucking number yourself.

It's a classic example of bystander effect. Get it in your head to ACT when something occurs, rather than shout in a hopeful manner that someone else will Do The Thing That Needs Doing. This inclination needs to be trained out of people. The best way I'm aware of is this: to decide ahead of time that when something occurs your plan is to start acting. Not to wait, not to hope others will, not to look around. But that the very instant you realize that shit hit the fan, that you're already moving to or away from the threat, situational dependent.
View Quote

I'd argue the opposite - you can't assess and apply emergency first aid AND call 911 at the same time.. (unless you ask Siri to). At every live-fire training class I've taken at least two students are designated as 911 callers - reason being the instructors usually have more medical training. (though my last pistol class there was a medical doctor as a student)

I've only seen a few of the BHS videos, they do make good stuff - here's hoping Adam makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Never heard of that channel before, but that was gnarly. Glad the guy is going to recover.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
We don't know what happened. Most likely he went to immediately render aid so a call out for someone else to dial 911 makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd argue the opposite - you can't assess and apply emergency first aid AND call 911 at the same time.. (unless you ask Siri to). At every live-fire training class I've taken at least two students are designated as 911 callers - reason being the instructors usually have more medical training. (though my last pistol class there was a medical doctor as a student)

I've only seen a few of the BHS videos, they do make good stuff - here's hoping Adam makes a full recovery.
View Quote

This.

In every event i've been a part of where somebody needed medical assistance I am yelling at somebody to call it in....because i'm fucking busy at the moment.

Applying aid is only a stopgap to get to follow on care, which does not matter if nobody calls it in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I think 2 Marine warrant officers got killed in iraq shooting one for the fuck of it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

There were at least three people there: the victim, the guy that said call 9-1-1 and the guy that asked “where is he bleeding from?”

Telling someone to call 9-1-1 while you deal with the injury is perfectly acceptable. In fact, it’s the taught procedure in any first aid or CPR class.  If you have ever called 9-1-1 you know they are going to be asking a lot of questions.  You can’t answer the questions and also focus on administering first aid.  Dividing the responsibilities, the call to 9-1-1 and administering first aid, between two people is not only proper, it’s both efficient and effective.

Their response was appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are times when I want to get into destructive devices, then I see a image of a mangled hand from a n exploded grenade launcher or a video like this and realize maybe it’s best to just stick with suppressors, SBRs and machine guns.
View Quote

I have a demilled RPG-7 and RPG-2.  I’ve always wanted to have them rebuilt into DDs but I also share your concerns. For now they’ll just be wall art.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m surprised the “expert” isn’t wearing eye pro.  There’s a lot of shit coming out of both ends of those when everything goes right.
View Quote

I like how the guy at the end of the video says it was just something completely out of their control.

Was it really though? ??

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Just like CPR, someone has to take control of the situation and start telling people to contact emergency services while attempting to save the victim’s life.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are the one taking charge in a situation like this, you always point to someone and tell them to call 911. in a medical emergency, jobs need to be divided up. the one administering first aid isnt going to have the time to talk to 911, who is going to be asking tons of questions
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They offered one up @$200 a shot in Cambodia when I was at the range.  What could go wrong?  I declined.  Same with tossing their old ass frags.
Edit: rpg-7 not CG.
View Quote

Yeah, there's vids of tourists in all kinds of shitholes firing RPGs or tossing an F1 into a pond. Fuck all that noise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]
*oh cool, you made some “prototype/experimental’ rounds for an RPG-7?…but you’re going to LET me shoot them first? How about you go fuck yourself…* When he says early in the video that the guy that developed the round for the CG *let* him try the first round… I pictured the Piccard face palm. Dude is lucky to be alive let alone supposedly going to make a full recovery.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#33]
damn.

just watched the video now.

I didn't expect that part.

they have the failure in high speed. I would think. that sure would go a long way to showing what happened.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

In or classes for wilderness first aid and first responder stuff, we were told otherwise. Basically we have training, were better utilized stopping the bleed and working the scene. Most people will be in shock and need to be ordered to do stuff. One issue is you can't go someone call 911 you need to be direct eye contact "you get your phone out now" once phone is out, "dial 911 now".

Their ability to make decisions is shot but they will respond to basic commands.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#37]
The placement of the head didn't do them any favors.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regular Joe's can't even get factory ordnance, can they? Which means rolling the dice with stuff from 'Jimmy's Home Brewed ordnance, tackle and bait'...
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Looked to me like they obstructed the backblast quite a bit, whether that was part of it is kind of hard to tell without more info and unblurred photos/video.

Shooting stuff like that without safety glasses (the other guy) is weapons grade retarded.  Glasses cost like $5.  Is your eyesight worth that?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

raise your hand if you've never taken charge in an emergency situation....

edit - already addressed multiple times.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Concur, same with the Gustav:  "prototype rounds"?

The thing has been in inventory for oh, seventy something years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: those didn't look like "real" rockets. Someone's homebrewed on a printer stuff.

I imagine getting factory ammunition for these is impossible.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think 2 Marine warrant officers got killed in iraq shooting one for the fuck of it.
View Quote

Form 1st Battalion, 10th Marines, TF Tarawa
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: those didn't look like "real" rockets. Someone's homebrewed on a printer stuff.

It's not IF you are a professional who works in the defense industry.  These guntubers are NOT for the most part.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
who?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.

In every event i've been a part of where somebody needed medical assistance I am yelling at somebody to call it in....because i'm fucking busy at the moment.

Applying aid is only a stopgap to get to follow on care, which does not matter if nobody calls it in.
View Quote

Bingo. This is why we set up people to call 911 at the beginning of every class. Just in case.

I've never needed my medical plan and I pray I never will. But I do have one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I like how the guy at the end of the video says it was just something completely out of their control.

Was it really though? ??

View Quote

My guess is that they don't know what they don't know.

And that's dangerous as fuck. You can't effectively mitigate risks you don't understand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok now I don't want an RPG
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Regular Joe's can't even get factory ordnance, can they? Which means rolling the dice with stuff from 'Jimmy's Home Brewed ordnance, tackle and bait'...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A HE 200 dollar stamped Gustav round would
Be ordinance, bait, and tackle all in one. You wouldn’t even need to gas up your boat just use a landing net.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top