Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 9:54:16 AM EDT
A girl I know but don't especially like that is the wife of a guy I really do like and consider a close friend, asked us on our walk yesterday to show her which tree is a Pine tree. She said that if you hug a Pine Tree, it will clean out your auora. She just had Raki(sp?) done on her by a lady we walk our dogs with that is a dog groomer/pet psychic. She said she had an out of body experience. Now she believes in this new age hippy crap that is just a religion made out of parts of a whole bunch of real religions mashed together. I can't wait to move out of this state.
Has anyone else actually met a real life tree hugger?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Hug a tree for stress treatment?

Hmmmmmmmm, for matinence, maybe you could just hit her with a stick every now and then.

I know that would mke ME feel better!  [wave]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn man, you need to think up some hippy mumbo jumbo and get her to pay you to adjust her mojo. Then she can tell all her friends and you'll have lots of spare gun money! Hell, charge her & her friends for a medatative walk to hug that tree and any other's that they want to hug!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]
That's some of the dumbest shit I've heard in months.

It offends me on a personal level that people that stupid get to breathe the same air I do, and get to VOTE.

Should've pointed to a cactus and told her it was a pine tree [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
[red]**** WARNING ****

DON'T DO THIS IF YOU ARE A WHITE MALE

YOU WILL BE ACCUSED OF MOLESTATION[/RED]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I once hugged a tree as a joke

Before we cut it down
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have met dyed in the cotton real life fish kissing tree huggerd. They are cluless folks who are lost in a fog of stupidity.
They usualy don't know squat about nature, other than their wacked out spiritual foggy beleifs.

[8P]=[%|]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, nothing wrong with hugging a tree. I don't think I have hugged one, but I have leaned on them and felt their solidity and looked up at and through the branches. What magnificent plants they are. I love them. I also love them in my wood stove. [:D]

It isn't literally hugging a tree that is bad, it is all of the associated nuttiness (read: environmental extremism) that the term "tree hugger" has come to mean.

As far as that "new age hippy crap" goes, it is like anything else, some is good some is bad. Unlike many of the world's more established religions, however, the new age (I used to say "new age" rhymed with sewage, so don't confuse me with them) movement has yet to be responsible for death and destruction.n If they want to dance in the forest and hug trees, more power to them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn man, you need to think up some hippy mumbo jumbo and get her to pay you to adjust her mojo. Then she can tell all her friends and you'll have lots of spare gun money! Hell, charge her & her friends for a medatative walk to hug that tree and any other's that they want to hug!
View Quote

You think that is a joke? The pet groomer/pet psychic lady can make up to $500 a DAY being a pet psychic!![shock]
I don't have a lot of friends here. I haven't lived here long. The psychic lady's husband is a good guy, the tree hugger's husband is a good guy. But to hang out with them, I have to hang out with their crazy wives. My wife doesn't like their wives and keeps a distance. So there is tension some times.
Oh, and DK-Prof, don't worry, those two women can't vote. One is German, working on her citizenship, and the other is Belgian, likewise working on citizenship.
Dredd308, believe me, your maintenance program sounds like a great idea and has crossed my mind a few times. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah but I think that "conservatives" are even worse when it comes to ecology. they know even less and what they don't want to belive like evolution, green house effect, industrial pollution etc. they choose to ignore science or they get some "Scientician" to spout some BS that jibes with their views.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You think that is a joke? The pet groomer/pet psychic lady can make up to $500 a DAY being a pet psychic!![shock]
View Quote

Hell no I don't think it's a joke, I know better! My siter-in-law is that type. I'm a Capitalist, I see money making opportunities in just about everything. I was giving you some profitable advice.

Edited to add:

Look, go out and find and identify all the biggest trees that you can. Clear a little path around them. Give each a name, the more mystic, the better. If you can identify faces in the bark, even better. Make up a story to got with them, become the tree mystic. Go to the pet psychic and give her your card and offer cleansing hikes to the various tress on the weekends, charge each person $10-$20 Tell them the tree's story. Encourage them to leave love offerings for the tree, flowers etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
2IDdoc:  Tree Whisperer
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe that someone could be so infinitesimally stupid as to not know what a pine tree looks like, but had to ask.

SG
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yeah but I think that "conservatives" are even worse when it comes to ecology. they know even less and what they don't want to belive like evolution, green house effect, industrial pollution etc. they choose to ignore science or they get some "Scientician" to spout some BS that jibes with their views.
View Quote

t-stox,

I'm a conservative, and I believe in global warming. What I DON'T believe is that we have anything more than a negligable effect on the planet's temp.
If it's our fault, then why is Mars warming up? Pluto? There is absolutely no way we are having any effect on the rest of the solar system.
Gee, maybe it might have something to do with the sun's output being up 5% in just the last decade... do you think?

Nick (tired of environmental wacko bogus science)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste or intelligence of the American public"
-PHINEAS T.BARNUM

I don't have a lot of friends here. I haven't lived here long. The psychic lady's husband is a good guy, the tree hugger's husband is a good guy. But to hang out with them, I have to hang out with their crazy wives. My wife doesn't like their wives and keeps a distance. So there is tension some times.
View Quote

Your wife sounds like a very smart lady- you should take a cue from her...

Oh, and DK-Prof, don't worry, those two women can't vote. One is German, working on her citizenship, and the other is Belgian, likewise working on citizenship.
View Quote

Whom do I contact to have these people deported back to Alpha Centauri, where they [red]really[/red] came from....[%|][(:|)]

95th (ship the loons home....) Foot

PS I too married an alien (British), but she's sloooowly coming around to my way of thinking....she finally agrees that NPR is leftist drivel and that tree-huggers are wackos. ("NO! Really??" I said...[:D] )
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#15]
You know this story would make more sense if there was a low limb on the tree...uh, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I hugged a tree once. The wind was blowing really hard and the nails holding the I-don't-know-how-many-years-this-treestand-has-been-here boards began to creak, just before the whole mess-minus me-fell to the ground. Luckily, it was only up about 15ft. and I was able to bear-hug my way down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Be thankful you live in MD. Here in CA a law would get passed making it a felony to hug a tree because it would wear the bark off and deprive the bark beetle of a food source. [noclue]

CW
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
She said that if you hug a Pine Tree, it will clean out your auora
View Quote

I'd suggest some other activities she can do for you that will also clean out her auora.

[devil] [naughty]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

1) Macro-evolution (the 'creation by evolution' side, a/o the 'selective breeding makes a million breeds of dog, adapts species to their environment, etc' side, which is fact) is as much a 'belief' as creation. It cannot be replicated by experament, and is thus just as much an 'origin story' as 'so and so created it all'... It's the humanist's creation myth, no more... The scientifically accurate statement is 'we have no idea'. But if you do (or don't) want to believe in a divine power, this usually affects your judgement and drives you to claim that your beliefs are 'fact' (i.e. 'God exists, so divine creation is right', or 'There cannot be a divine power, so there cannot be creation').

The next point is that it DOES NOT MATTER how we got here when dealing with any point of practical science. Weather we were created or evolved has no bearing on physics, on practical/medical biology, or anything becides the abstract section that tries to figure out how we got here...

2) Global warming (of the human inspired variety, not the 'solar activity is up, the solar system is warming up' variety) has been subject to MUCH distortion by both sides. Non-believers have come up wiith stacked-deck studies to prove it's a fallacy, and believers have done the same to convince us that we'll end up living in something out of the movie 'Waterworld' if we don't live like it's 1775AD.

In fact, the major study that inspired support for the Kyoto protocol was recently debunked. It was found that the authors had OMITTED DATA POINTS to lower their 'average' tempratures in earlier times and raise them in more modern periods, creating a false correllation between industrialization/C02 and 'global warming'.

The conservative position (maybe 'neo-conservative') is that the damage to our economy from Kyoto or other further 'climate change' regulation would be too severe to risk taking action in the current scientific climate. Action should be held untill the bullshit from both sides dies down, and we get some actual in depth impartial (gasp) scientific results not based on the agenda of one side or the other...

The industry-commissioned studies are tilted towards industry.

The 'academic' studies are generally tilted towards the extreme enviro position (due to the pre-existing beliefs of those attracted to 'environmental science' - Who'da thought that a study coming from UC Berkley (or similar) would say 'industry is evil, and unless we stop emitting CO2 we will all die'???)).

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I hugged a tree once when my deer stand broke 12 feet up in a tree.  That tree made me feel good at the time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The saddest part of the whole story was that she didn't know what a fucking pine tree looked like.

Dumb ho should have her tubes tied.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I've hugged a commode, but never a tree...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Fucking leftist liberal hippie vegan whackos!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
The first time I hugged a tree it was because some pissed off N.Vietnamese were shooting at me,and it seemed prudent.The tree accepted the hits.Some years later it became neccessary to again hug trees as I sat them on the block to split for the woodburner.I love trees,gunstocks come from trees.It is good there are other planets in the universe,we can cut the trees on them down too.People who actually hug trees as if the tree gave a fuck?I saw some people from India visiting here once and they were kind of like that.But these guys told me there were very few trees in India and that is why they wanted to be close to them(the trees).Other than that,hug this knarly old tree.Oh!look!it likes you!      
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I have hugged a few trees.
While climbing them to put in tree stands from which I would do my best to blow bambis brains out the backside of its skull.
Does that count?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top