Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:31:47 PM EDT
Things are looking good. Just the same, keep on  hammering them.

" WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Gun control activists, health care advocates and law enforcement groups geared up on Tuesday for a last-ditch effort to prevent a 1994 ban on assault weapons from expiring next week, but even its most ardent backers acknowledge the drive is all but futile.

But the influential National Rifle Association gun lobby, meanwhile, said it would "not take anything for granted" as it works to send the ban into oblivion.

Ban advocates called on President Bush to intervene and get Congress to act. But Bush, who in his 2000 campaign promised to sign legislation, has been publicly silent for months as the clock ticked.

The ban on such weapons as Uzis and AK-47s will expire at midnight next Monday unless Congress votes to renew it. While warning that high-powered guns and large-capacity ammunition clips could flood America's streets, even the most ardent backers of the ban in Congress admitted that it is almost certain to lapse.

"The likelihood (of extension) is remote," said California Democrat Sen. Dianne Feinstein. House Republican aides concurred, and predicted that ban advocates would not have an opening to try to get legislation through this week.

"I'm trying to put pressure on the president," said New York Democrat Carolyn McCarthy, elected to Congress after her husband was slain in 1993 by a gunman on a Long Island, New York, train. "This whole thing is in Bush's court."

Several public opinion polls, including one released this week by the National Annenberg Election Survey, have found deep public support for the ban, even among many gun-owners and conservatives. But the NRA has fought it fiercely.

"The NRA is an extremely powerful group, there's no two ways about it," said McCarthy, adding ruefully that politicians "don't want to tick them off" two months before elections.

EARLIER EFFORT SUNK

The Senate did vote to extend the ban earlier this year, but as part of a larger bill on gun-maker legal protections that was later sunk at the NRA's behest. Republican leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives strongly oppose the ban and have not allowed a vote on it. McCarthy had hoped to force a vote this week, but said she would not be allowed to bring it to the floor under House rules.

With the clock ticking, groups favoring a ban on the high-powered weapons have tried to draw public attention to it. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has a full-page ad running in the New York Times and Washington Post asking, "Why does President Bush want to put cop-killing guns back on the street?"    

More than a dozen leading health groups, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Physicians for Social Responsibility and the American College of Emergency Physicians jointly called for the ban's extension on Tuesday, describing gun violence as a public health crisis.

"It is a health-care crisis and it is an incredibly costly health-care crisis," said Amy Sisley, an emergency room doctor at the University of Maryland Medical Center, speaking on behalf of Physicians for Social Responsibility.

She said 90 percent of spinal cord injuries in the United States are caused by gunshot wounds and noted that $1.8 billion a year is spent on spinal cord injuries.

Major law enforcement groups, including police chiefs from big U.S. cities, plan to rally for the ban's extension at a Washington memorial for fallen police officers on Wednesday.

The NRA in a statement posted on its Web site dismissed the campaign for the ban as a "PR show to blame inanimate objects for the acts of criminals."

But warning its well-organized and highly motivated members against complacency, the NRA said, "We have come too far in the past 10 years not to pull out all the stops in the next week and a half to ensure that this ban expires as Congress intended, and becomes nothing more than a sad footnote in America's history." (Additional reporting by Maggie Fox)

www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6173028} Source
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
In my best beavis and Butthead voice..
"Uhhh huh huh, he said mount!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear the fat lady tuning up, but don't sit down just yet!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
"The NRA is an extremely powerful group, there's no two ways about it," said McCarthy, adding ruefully that politicians "don't want to tick them off" two months before elections.

All the reason they are getting a life membership from me come next  monday!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what Sep 14th is going to look like?

Is there going to be deafening silence from these "the streets will run red with blood from all these AK-47 hitting the street" fucktards or are we going to see headlines bellowing out "AWB expires - massacres of innocents to begin any minute"?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm waiting to see what kind of new legislation they propose after the first shooting takes place.  You know, the AK's and UZI's that all the kids picked up on the streets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thats my NRA!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
"It is a health-care crisis and it is an incredibly costly health-care crisis," said Amy Sisley, an emergency room doctor at the University of Maryland Medical Center, speaking on behalf of Physicians for Social Responsibility.

She said 90 percent of spinal cord injuries in the United States are caused by gunshot wounds and noted that $1.8 billion a year is spent on spinal cord injuries.

BULLSHIT, lady!  I don't even want to call her a Doctor - I work in the Radiology Department of a large hospital, and have done shifts in 2 others - I see spinal injuries all the time, and have NEVER seen a gunshot wound to the spine.  Stupid liberal cu*t.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
With the clock ticking, groups favoring a ban on the high-powered weapons have tried to draw public attention to it. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has a full-page ad running in the New York Times and Washington Post asking, "Why does President Bush want to put cop-killing guns back on the street?"    

I got news for ya sister, THEY ARE ALREADY ON THE STREET! The only problem is that law abiding citizens don't have them, only the criminals do!

Police: Shooting in Detroit leaves 2 men dead, 1 wounded
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

"The likelihood (of extension) is remote," said California Democrat Sen. Dianne Feinstein. House Republican aides concurred, and predicted that ban advocates would not have an opening to try to get legislation through this week.

WOW.  FROM HER!!!!!!????????

I just all of a sudden feel a little more confident.  Sounds like she has all but thrown in the towel for this one.

I still won't stop biting my nails until I have my M4 put togeather, in my hands and legal.  All parts are waiting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]

That is a bald faced lie! They will say anything to further their cause.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
And that part about some gun owners actually want the ban to renew is true.  The fact that some of our fellow gun owners actually support this legistlation deeply saddens me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a call this evening from the NRA wanting me to "donate" $100 to become a silver member because the (southern charm) lady was explaining that the SENATE was debating the extention of the AWB "as we speak" and this time it will be permanent and will include many more weapons.  The gal was beginning to sound a bit over rought.  Then she sorta recycled everything she said in he one minute script.  

I checked C-Span & didn't see were the Senate was debating the AWB "as we speak" and the foremost authority (ARFCOM) didn't have an hot topics on it either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got news for ya sister, THEY ARE ALREADY ON THE STREET! The only problem is that law abiding citizens don't have them, only the criminals do!

um what are you talking about??? I have a AK-47 and I am not a criminal????
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And that part about some gun owners actually want the ban to renew is true.  The fact that some of our fellow gun owners actually support this legistlation deeply saddens me.

Ohh you can bet your bootie some of the dealers who are sitting on a ton of pre bans and can't sell them would not hesitate to step to the dark side.  You can find a few of the on the subguns board.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Spinal injury by gunshot doesnt even make the list! 66% diving!
www.cureparalysis.org/statistics/
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Translation?

We know we can't shove this shit down your throat in the time we have left but watch out, we'll be back with an even nastier ban to shove up your asses next time around.

This ROUND is over.  The next will begin soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Spinal injury doesnt by gunshot doesnt even make the list! 66% diving!

dont worry about it buddy, we know they lie to further promote their agenda its not new news.  All we can hope for is that the NRA will counter attact their comments ,which they have done a good job doing so far.  The big problem is no news orgiazation will give the NRA the time of the day to spill the truth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most of the problems with the health-care crisses is due to the fact that many illegal aliens have zero health care coverage, and they go the ERs for the medical needs, and they don't have to pay for the services as mandated by the Federal govt. The Feds pushed the health care burden on the local and state level.

Care to discuss with the kind doctor what the are costs to society of "medical misadventures" by the doctors themselves? The docs are just trying to deflect away from themselves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW.  FROM HER!!!!!!????????

I just all of a sudden feel a little more confident.  Sounds like she has all but thrown in the towel for this one.

I still won't stop biting my nails until I have my M4 put togeather, in my hands and legal.  All parts are waiting.

It's a trick, when she comes out of the castle, throw water on her and she will melt.  Just ask Dorothy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Spinal injury by gunshot doesnt even make the list! 66% diving!

Here's her contact info.  I am in her voice mail right now
Amy C. Sisley, M.D., M.P.H.

Assistant Professor of Surgery

Department: Division
Surgical Critical Care
Shock Trauma Center: Trauma Surgery
Shock Trauma Center: Trauma Critical Care Medicine
Medical Degree: University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Surgery
Fellowship: Emory University, J.D. Martin Trauma Fellow and Surgical Critical Care
Certification: Surgery; Surgical Critical Care
Contact Information:
1-800-373-4111 (physicians only)
1-800-492-5538 (call this one and ask 4 her v-mail)
1-410-328-8919 (news media only)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

um what are you talking about??? I have a AK-47 and I am not a criminal????

Everyone is a critic...

I was using their own arguement against them. I understand that there are exceptions, due to the grandfather clause in the AWB. However, the AK-47 has been illeagal for the last 10 years. They are not being imported and they are not being manufactured domesticly for civilian use. With the exception of used pre-bans, AK-47's are not accessible to the public.

However, this is the second high profile shooting in the City of Detroit this year, in which a criminal used an AK-47. There was a third incident in San Francisco where a drug dealer used an AK-47 to kill a cop.

My point is that criminals seem to have easy access to AK-47's, even with the AWB in place, however law abiding citizens do not have access to them. I do not have an AK-47. I cannot get one, because for the most part they are not available. Drug dealers and cop killers seem to have an over abundance of AK-47's.

No do you understand what I was saying?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]
That 66% diving figure is just for the "sports" subset, which makes up 14% of spinal cord injuries overall.  Violence accounts for only 14% overall, so shootings clearly cannot account for 90% of all spinal cord injuries.  

That article is an amazingly concentrated example of how biased and false the liberal media is, especially when it comes to firearms.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Full-page ad in the Washington Post from VPC this morning, basically implying the number of cops shot will go up dramatically on 9/14.

They are shameless and firmly believe that the ends justifies the means, including bald-faced lying.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I got a call this evening from the NRA wanting me to "donate" $100 to become a silver member because the (southern charm) lady was explaining that the SENATE was debating the extention of the AWB "as we speak" and this time it will be permanent and will include many more weapons.  The gal was beginning to sound a bit over rought.  Then she sorta recycled everything she said in he one minute script.  

I checked C-Span & didn't see were the Senate was debating the AWB "as we speak" and the foremost authority (ARFCOM) didn't have an hot topics on it either.

I had the same call!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Spinal cord injury causes:

Dr. Sisley is talking out of her *ss!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
90%? What a bunch of crap!!! I can't believe somebody would even claim such an outrageous figure!!! Trust me, the vast majority of spinal cord injuries are caused by various high velocity accidents such as car and motorcycle wrecks. I've seen many cord injuries in my career and only a handfull of them were firearm related. We should ban motorcycles, fast cars, swimming pools, and football if we really want to prevent spinal cord injuries.

She's a moron and "Physicians for Social Responsibility" is a radical political organisation.  Most physicians I know are pro-gun, it's just the loud mouths that are heard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, just call the hospital.  I spoke to her boss just now.  She was pretty understanding.  the swticboard operator knows what is going on and will forward you.
Here's her contact info. I am in her voice mail right now
Amy C. Sisley, M.D., M.P.H.

Assistant Professor of Surgery

Department: Division
Surgical Critical Care
Shock Trauma Center: Trauma Surgery
Shock Trauma Center: Trauma Critical Care Medicine
Medical Degree: University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Surgery
Fellowship: Emory University, J.D. Martin Trauma Fellow and Surgical Critical Care
Certification: Surgery; Surgical Critical Care
Contact Information:
1-800-373-4111 (physicians only)
1-800-492-5538 (call this one and ask 4 her v-mail)
1-410-328-8919 (news media only)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Dr. Bitch is gonna regret she ever opened her mouth!

<THB dials his cell phone...>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top