Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 10:19:08 PM EDT
Geez, I like this movie. Its got everything, cept ARs of course.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything? OK it is a good movie,,let me exhale, cause I did do like it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the scene where the column of british get ambushed by the indians. All of those flintlocks going off in a wave looked neat-o.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
And that's one [b]heck[/b] of a smokepole our guy carried around.  What was that?  About eight feet long?  Wow.  And we complain about HBAR vs. skinny barrels.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The movie as a whole was good but the cinematics were unbelievable. I've never seen that part of the country in a movie before. The forests and backcountry settings were extremely beautiful to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Good film, but not historically accurate at all.  The writer or director seems to have compacted a bunch of different stories together into one.  The British got attacked by Indians when they surrendered the fort, but the colonel (?) wasn't killed and scalped, had no daughters, etc.  I think they took the story of the Green Mountain Boys and sort of massaged it all into historical fiction.  

It was filmed in North Carolina by the way.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The movie as a whole was good but the cinematics were unbelievable. I've never seen that part of the country in a movie before. The forests and backcountry settings were extremely beautiful to say the least.
View Quote

Michael Mann at work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
All right now, a small pop quiz here -

What was the name of Natty Bumppo's rifle?

Where did he get the blue silk ribbon that was tied around its stock?

What does 'Chingachgook' mean in Delaware?

Eric The(C'mon,GetYourLeatherstockingLoreRight!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
um, Jenny
um, the fabrics section of wallmart
um, um um um um um um um um um um um um um  um um um ask me some questions about Tom Clancy books![;D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
We'll get to Tom Clancy later. Now we're talking about the first 'hero' in American literature - Nathaniel Bumppo!

What ancestry did Bumppo likely have?

C'mon, you don't understand America unless you understand this literary character, who first exhibited all of the American character's noblest features!

Eric The(Hawkeye)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i know that one! wait, maybe not. c'mon i can only read so many book at a time and right now im stuck on modern warefare stuff, Bravo Two Zero, Blackhawk Down, Killing Pablo, Counter Terrorist(Sam Hall) Boewulf (wait thats not modern!). but you know what, I think Im gonna read some Cooper, what do you think i should start with?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
"Good film, but not historically accurate at all. The writer or director seems to have compacted a bunch of different stories together into one. The British got attacked by Indians when they surrendered the fort, but the colonel (?) wasn't killed and scalped, had no daughters, etc. I think they took the story of the Green Mountain Boys and sort of massaged it all into historical fiction.

It was filmed in North Carolina by the way. "

Yep...it certainly was massaged into historical fiction, that's what James Fenimore Cooper was trying to do when he wrote the book in the mid 1800's...not to be a smartass or anything [:)]

"What was the name of Natty Bumppo's rifle?

Where did he get the blue silk ribbon that was tied around its stock?

What does 'Chingachgook' mean in Delaware?"

hawkeye's rifle was a pennsylvania long rifle?  (can't quite remember if it has another more personal name from earlier books?, i've only read Last of the Mohicans and parts of deerslayer...none of the rest) or possibly a kentucky long rifle?  

Did you guys notice how when he is on the ramparts of the fort shooting the pickets so the messenger can get through, that they remark about how the "silk...it'll give another 40 yards", imagine having to worry about that much detail for each shot...gives you a respect for the oldtimers and those who hunt muzzloader these days.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheyenne Silver is of Cherokee heritage.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#13]
btt, just to see if the 'day crew' can answer the 'Leatherstocking' questions! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The rifle had the name "Killdeer" carved in its stock.  I'll venture a guess that was its name. [:)]

Chingachgook meant a big serpent in the Delaware language.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]
ETH:

European. Though, thought somewhere, maybe The Deerslayer, he was revealed to be part Injun.

Rifles name was Killdeer.

Silk ribbon was from Cora? Alice?

I dont speak Delaware, so I cant say. As for what it might mean in English...

Movie was much more entertaining than the book. I do prefer Cooper to Eco, but not much.

Luck
Alac

Outside of a dog, a book is your best friend - inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Whoa, we've got [b]Norm_G[/b] getting the rifle's name correctly, first! And, yes the Delaware name Chingackgook' means 'big' or 'great serpent.'

Yes, the name of Natty's rifle was 'Killdeer' and it remained so throughout the Leatherstocking Tales.

The blue ribbon was one of Judith Hutter's, a young girl who grew to love Natty during 'The Deerslayer' novel. But, through mischance, and a belief on Natty's part that she had been 'in the settlements' too long, their love was not to be.

Years later, after the chronicled events of The Deerslayer, Natty and Chingachgook came back to the lake identified as the 'Glimmerglass' and Natty found one of Judith's silk ribbons on the beach. With fondness, he tied the ribbon of the pretty Judith to the stock of Killdeer, where it remained until his death in 'The Prairie.'

I was looking desperately for a blue ribbon tied to Daniel Day-Lewis' rifle in TLOTM movie, but in vain, it appears.  Apparently, no one takes the time to read [u]all[/u] of the Leather-stocking Tales, any longer. The more's they pity, because it was the first and best of American literature! 'Course, that's my humble opinion.

Natty was of Dutch ancestry, based upon several statements he made in the Tales.

Eric The(LeatherstockingFanatic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Glimmerglass.  Excellent name for a lake, even though it's now called Otsego Lake.  My kids went to summer camp on the eastern shore of the lake.  Still beautiful country, even if it's gotten a bit touristy.  Cooperstown, at the southern tip of the lake, has a very nice J.F.  Cooper museum, with many of his artifacts and several original writings of his.  A very nice area, even with the baseball hall of fame.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't get a chance to see the whole movie, I left when the Brits arrested Daniel Day Lewis.  I have never been in that area, but the first thing I noticed was how scenic that area was. The director couldn't have picked a better location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top