Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:11:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some sympathy for this lady, but the fact of the matter is that she agreed to the homeowner's association rules when she purchased her home.  If she doesn't like the rules then she doesn't have to live there.  If she's allowed to fly her special flag, then her neighbor should be able to fly an Iranian flag, and so on.  Where do they draw the line?

The rules are there to protect property value.  Of course her one flag won't degrade the neighborhood value, but a completely uncontrolled neighborhood could quickly deteriorate without enforcement of the association rules.

Flame on.

M.L.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why people need, I repeat NEED, to pay attention to the rules of their HOA BEFORE they sign the dotted line.

While I dont agree with them, and I dont think its right, the rules are the rules in that subdivision and she signed on to them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't like the HOA, then you have 2 options:

1. Don't live there.

2. Run for HOA office, load the board with your cronies, and change the HOA bylaws how you see fit.

Me? I go for #1. If, however, you have lots of free time, #2 might be very appealing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have some sympathy for this lady, but the fact of the matter is that she agreed to the homeowner's association rules when she purchased her home.  If she doesn't like the rules then she doesn't have to live there.  If she's allowed to fly her special flag, then her neigbor should be able to fly an Iranian flag, and so on.  Where do they draw the line?

The rules are their to protect property value.  Of course her one flag won't degrade the neighborhood value, but a completely uncontrolled neighborhood could quickly deteriorate with enforcement of association rules.

Flame on.

M.L.

I agree. And that is why I passed on several homes that had a HOA.

In some ways it sucks because the assholes down the street painted their house mustard yellow. But on the upside I can have any kind of vehicle parked in my driveway and can fly a flag in my front yard.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Well Deej, that is why I do NOT live in an association. We looked at houses in those "associations." Nice homes, neighborhoods, etc. We just could NOT buy into one...I think if you own the property, you should be able to do whatever you want (within state / county laws) with it.
I think they're real jerks for raising a stink...but I also think she should sell the house and buy one that is not in an association.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#6]
To this day I question the effectiveness of HOAs with regard to property value. I need hard evidence.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The article states that the flag is not "approved." How hard would it have been to get it "approved?"

Either you find out how to "get it approved" or not risk getting in trouble by violating contract rules.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well Deej, that is why I do NOT live in an association. We looked at houses in those "associations." Nice homes, neighborhoods, etc. We just could NOT buy into one...I think if you own the property, you should be able to do whatever you want (within state / county laws) with it.
I think they're real jerks for raising a stink...but I also think she should sell the house and buy one that is not in an association.

Yup. Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont feel sorry for people that violate HOA rules.  If someone can't agree to the rules don't move there.  Is it really that hard of a concept?  Same thing goes to keeping your yard mowed.  dont bitch about 5 years worth of fines for not mowing your yard
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a case of selective enforcement.  Local media went out to report on this story and found that there was someone down the street flying a Snoopy flag that was not being ordered to take it down.  The HOA backed off after getting so much bad press.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont feel sorry for people that violate HOA rules.  If someone can't agree to the rules don't move there.  Is it really that hard of a concept?  Same thing goes to keeping your yard mowed.  dont bitch about 5 years worth of fines for not mowing your yard

That's pretty self-explanatory.  And I can understand that.  If the HOA doesn't allow someone to put up an Army flag-then I wouldn't like that-but if I knew that ahead of time-Iwouldn't move there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top