Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
I have a FiveseveN that I have sold on the EE, and I'm in the process of getting the FFL paperwork in order.  The purchaser insists on me giving him the serial number, and I can't figure out why.  I don't want to insult him and refuse to give it to him, but I'm a little bit concerned with giving out serial numbers over the phone or in an email.  He seems like an honest guy, but I have noticed that people go out of their way to cover up serial numbers when they post pics of their guns.

Is there any legitimate reason to give out serial numbers when transfering a firearm from an FFL in one state to another state?  Is there any reason I should not give him the serial number?

NOTE:  If the actual purchaser reads this, please don't be offended.  I've had a number of bad experiences with people over the internet and I'm just trying to protect myself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is there any legitimate reason to give out serial numbers when transfering a firearm from an FFL in one state to another state?  Is there any reason I should not give him the serial number?

Could be he's testing your openess or to see if you can provide an actual # - I'm sure he's a little skittish too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Has he paid you for it? IMO I don't see any reason not to give it to him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If he has paid you for it then it is his gun...there is no reason to hold out info on HIS gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he has paid you for it then it is his gun...there is no reason to hold out info on HIS gun.

He hasn't paid for it yet.  I will request payment when I take it to the FFL for shipment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
He's going to see it sooner or later, and it will be his, and the paperwork he fills out to buy it from the FFL & the FFL's logbook will clearly show that it legally was no longer yorus and no longer your issue, so I don't see the harm, especially if he's paying you for the gun. He may *need* the serial number to have the gun added to his permit before he can take posession, if he lives in one of *those* states.

As far as I know, the reason for covering serial numbers in pictures is twofold, both related to worry about bad repercussions:

1) worry that someone will take your serial number and file a stolen firearm report, acusing you no end of problems if your purchase was not from a FFL who'd have record of selling you the gun. If you've previously bough a gun face to face and don't have "proof" of ownership, that'd be a very valid concern. I'm guessing a 5.7, as a fairly new model, is probably clearly documented as being yours newly purchased from a FFL so no worry there
2) worry that someone somewhere is making a database of firearms that everybody owns. That's a bit out there, and you're going to have proof that you sold this one via FFL transfer, so when the paranoia goons come to get your 5.7, you have prrof that you're not hiding it, it went to a FFL.

I'd send him the serial number, no problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

When you have cash in hand, give all the info you have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
There are lots of reasons to give the buyer the serial #.  First, he might not trust his FFL to give him the gun he paid for.  Second, he might want to check, before he takes it, if the firearm is clean (not stolen or anything).  Third, he paid and he wants it.  Any of the these seem valid reasons for an legitimate buyer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, so there is no possibility of having problems on my end if I give him the serial number now, before payment is made.  Correct?

BTW, thanks to all who responded!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Some states that require purchase permits like MO have to run the serial number first and make sure it is clean.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some states that require purchase permits like MO have to run the serial number first and make sure it is clean.

The purchaser is in AZ.  Does Arizona have such laws?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
i would insist on it so i could call and run it thru the national data base for stolen weapons at the sherriffs dept ,
and i would definatly be suspicus if the seller hesitated to give it
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Used to be that a Mo. dealer would give you the serial no. on a gun that he had to order, so that you could go ahead and apply for a permit to purchase. Now in my county of residence you can apply for an open permit and you don't need a no. or even caliber or manufacturer. They fill in the blanks later.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I did many transfers when I worked for an FFL in TN and not once did an out of state FFL request the serial # in order to ship.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
If he's paying for it he has a right to know the serial number.  Maybe he wants to check if it's stolen before sending payment.

There is no real reason to cover up the s/n in an ad other than paranoia.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Used to be that a Mo. dealer would give you the serial no. on a gun that he had to order, so that you could go ahead and apply for a permit to purchase. Now in my county of residence you can apply for an open permit and you don't need a no. or even caliber or manufacturer. They fill in the blanks later.

Then when it comes up stolen when they run the serial number you could be SOL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a FiveseveN that I have sold on the EE, and I'm in the process of getting the FFL paperwork in order.  The purchaser insists on me giving him the serial number, and I can't figure out why.  I don't want to insult him and refuse to give it to him, but I'm a little bit concerned with giving out serial numbers over the phone or in an email.  He seems like an honest guy, but I have noticed that people go out of their way to cover up serial numbers when they post pics of their guns.

NOTE:  If the actual purchaser reads this, please don't be offended.  I've had a number of bad experiences with people over the internet and I'm just trying to protect myself.

Why?  If he lives in a state with a waiting period, the count usually starts when the FFL gets the serial number.  AZ is not one of them.  Give up the s/n.  When I lived in CA, I had to get them all the time.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
In California, the FFL can start the 10 day waiting period if he has the serial number.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i would insist on it so i could call and run it thru the national data base for stolen weapons at the sherriffs dept ,
and i would definatly be suspicus if the seller hesitated to give it

I wrote him an email explaining why I didn't give him the serial number at first, and hopefully he understands my concerns.  I gave him the serial number in the email.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh-oh....now you're in big trouble............J/K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top