Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:42 PM EDT
It is my understanding that if one were to raise the soil level around the base of a tree that it will kill a tree.  I suspect that there has to be a limit to such for trees.   Let's say 6, 8 10 and 12" trees at the base.  How much could I raise the soil level around them and not kill them, if at all.

There is a portion of my lot that I would like to level out, but not at the expense of killing the trees.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Every county and parish in this country has a USDA adviser.  Look up your local guy.  Or google on your local university that has an agricultural school.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also use landscape fabric and gravel to create an area for moisture to still get to the base of the tree. Check out some lanscaping forums and the like and you should be able to find some info on how to do i t.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
And it depends on the variety of tree as well as the type of soil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top