Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 7:27:01 PM EDT
First of all, I know nothing about computers so please bear with me!!!!!! I can get on the internet and play solitaire!

I have a desk top in my office/ junkroom that doesn't want to connect to the internet. Everywhere in my house my lap top can pick up the network no problem, even in my office.

When I connect the little linksys wireless receiver thing -> to my desktop and bring up the connection window it says "connected to access point but not connected to the internet."

I don't understand this. How can it be connected to the router but not the internet?

Problem 2 - My laptop mouse touch pap is all jacked up. Basically it doesn't follow my finger like it's supposed to. Also it jumps around, much like when you put two fingers on the pad and take one off. It clicks randomly. Also, the pad has shortcuts of sorts, like you touch the top right it closes the window. It does that also even if I don't touch the corner.

Now I have wiped it off and it doesn't really do anything. Is there a setting I can change to help with this?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
my guess with the wireless card is the encryption key has not been put in properly.

See I don't know what this means. The linksys gimmic plugs into the USB port. Would that change anything?

Quoted:
the touchpad sounds like its bad.  this happends ALOT from static electricity discharges (i've fried several of them im very static friendly  :(

best bet is to disable the touch pad in the bios and hook up a corded or wireless mouse  

I was affraid of that. I have my wireless mouse so it's not a huge deal, just when I sit in my chair in the living room I have to put the mouse on my leg. meh.

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top