Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 5:36:16 PM EDT
There are few movies I can watch over and over. The Professional is one of them.

Watching it the other day, as the the protaginist is hanging upside down from the ceiling shooting at the JBT's unlawfully busting up in his humble abode I pondered something. If you were shooting an AR while hanging upside down from a rafter how would you correctly aim. The projectile wont follow the normal flight course, but will be altered by the reversed force of gravity (FOG). The barrel is already at a rising angle along the alignment of the sights.

Do you aim much higher or normally?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Point blank. No problem with ballistic decisions.

The folks he was shooting were less than ten feet from him.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No women, no kids.

-Troy

He was not really a "people person" was he?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The knife is the last thing you learn...

or something like that
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That's one of the best films ever made.  Luc Besson is a great director!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The Apartment Shootout

Great movie!

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I would think it not so hard to do.

Here's a video of me using my Avatar stance and my 1911 to hit a steel target that's about chest size at 20 yards. I aimed the same as if I was shooting upright.

At the beginning of the video the first thing you hear is the ping of my round hitting the steel. The cameraman was slow (it was not planed to record this) with the camera so I did it again.

Me using my Avatar stance & 1911 hitting steel at 20 yards Twice.

I'm sure I could do this with an AR. I will try it on my next range trip.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that the movie where the JBT's set up a belt fed MG in the hallway of the dudes apt. and then use a rifle grenade in the final assault?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is that the movie where the JBT's set up a belt fed MG in the hallway of the dudes apt. and then use a rifle grenade in the final assault?

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are few movies I can watch over and over. The Professional is one of them.

Watching it the other day, as the the protaginist is hanging upside down from the ceiling shooting at the JBT's unlawfully busting up in his humble abode I pondered something. If you were shooting an AR while hanging upside down from a rafter how would you correctly aim. The projectile wont follow the normal flight course, but will be altered by the reversed force of gravity (FOG). The barrel is already at a rising angle along the alignment of the sights.

Are you trying to tell me that bullets will ascent to the heavens if i'm shooting upside down?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
"Do you understand?"
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Do you understand?"

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

The shootout with the cops

Bring me everyone....

EVERYONE!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The shootout with the cops

I know it's just a movie, but I have to LOL at the entry.
I do enjoy comedy so yes I enjoyed the movie clip. The movie as a whole was just passably OK.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
"This... is from... Mathilda."

"Shit."
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This sort of problem comes up with shots down into steep canyons.  I don't remember the specific physics, but the basic response was "if it's under 300 yards don't worry about it".
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I just finished watching it again, and that is one AWESOME movie.

Luc Besson is a genius.  (Although I did notice a lot of similaritiy to the score of 5th Element - anther great movie)

... also, I am quite intoxicated right now.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This sort of problem comes up with shots down into steep canyons.  I don't remember the specific physics, but the basic response was "if it's under 300 yards don't worry about it".

Rule of thumb, down hill....aim lower.
Shooting up hill...aim higher.

Can't tell you how much for each shot, as it is too complex for a one X=Y that covers everything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The projectile wont follow the normal flight course, but will be altered by the reversed force of gravity (FOG).  

How would the force of gravity be reversed because you're upside down?  Gravity has nothing to do with his shots at that close range, and it certainly wouldn't be reversed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't tell you how much for each shot, as it is too complex for a one X=Y that covers everything.

At less than 20 feet, point and click!

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
At less than 20 feet, point and click!

That works.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
At those distances its just point and shoot.

Great movie BTW...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Another professional opinion needed:  At what age would it be appropriate for a kid to watch the movie?

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Another professional opinion needed:  At what age would it be appropriate for a kid to watch the movie?

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The projectile wont follow the normal flight course, but will be altered by the reversed force of gravity (FOG).  

How would the force of gravity be reversed because you're upside down?  Gravity has nothing to do with his shots at that close range, and it certainly wouldn't be reversed.

Maybe he should turn it sideways for more accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?    My kids loved the movie, and but they are substantially younger.   I might need to rethink my age appropriate viewing policies.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It'd only make a significant difference if you were running a treadmill while firing.

How could you do that while upside down?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?    My kids loved the movie, and but they are substantially younger.   I might need to rethink my age appropriate viewing policies.  

Everyone has a different opinion on what their kids can see/hear.

Make your own decision.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:11:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Good replies. I forgot about this post for a little while.

I like the concept, aim high shooting uphill, low for downhill. It makes sense. My assumption was it doesnt matter being he was like spitting distance from the front door but I was just thinking techically for a minite there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit, for any inclination either lower or higher the bullet will strike high due to gravity, so you aim low in order to compensate, the amount low you would aim is determined by the inclination angle and distance

Cosine is the rule
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#30]
What is that shit Gary Oldman is sniffing,and has anyone seen the 'uncut' version on DVD?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top