Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2001 8:19:47 AM EDT
A Problem With Guns?

by Robert L. Kocher

Few national struggles create as much fear and animosity as gun control. And few national struggles are driven by as much fear and animosity as gun control.

Is there reason to control guns because "guns kill people"? Fifty years ago there were few prohibitive gun laws in the United States. Rifles and shotguns could easily be purchased over the phone from magazine ads in many of the hunting and firearms magazines. I lived in a Midwestern city that had one of the largest small arms dealers in the country, if not the world. They conducted their business over the phone and through the mail from magazine ads. In some ads at other dealers, 20mm antitank rifles were available.

Yet, with the exception of the fantasies in old James Cagney gangster movies, in the 40s and 50s the streets of America were safe beyond anything remotely imaginable today. Millions of veterans had returned from the war with millions of military weapon souvenirs. America was swarming with rifles and pistols, and the crime rate was low. Even in 1962 when I was in the army near Washington, D.C., later to become the murder capital of the world, one could take a nap on a park bench with no fear of being bothered.

As is well known, the unofficial Swiss national motto is, "A rifle behind every door." A principle Swiss national sport is rifle shooting. Their military keeps their small arms at home and usually keeps their arms after retirement. The crime rate is minuscule.

The Israeli military keep their arms at home. Their violent crime rate is minuscule.

In a number of states in America gun ownership is nearly unrestricted, nearly universally common, and the carrying of open or concealed firearms is nearly unrestricted. The crime rates are low.

Link to full article : [url]www.zolatimes.com/V3.39/gun_problem.htm[/url]

This article contains some great stats and insight into the "real" problem in America. Please read the full text!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
critter_FR,
Great post. I wish folks would wake up and realize that guns are not a problem. We have crime problem and nobody realizes that what we need to do is eliminate criminals not guns.  
My .02 worth
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a long read, but well worth it. This guy has a whole series of articles on what ails us.

[url]www.zolatimes.com/writers/kocher.html[/url]

One could spend days reading and digesting his work.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Getting guns thru the mail died with John Kennedy.  Its been down hill ever since.
Shadowjack1
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a great post.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't have the needed "spin" that media entities have to have to report their news and reports.  With the exception of maybe FNC, no respectable reporter, editor, or writer would ever post something like this.

'Tis a shame.
Wish I could do something about it.

JEW FOR SENATOR
2006!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
An article like this will never change an anti's mind, but it provides very useful information for us to use when educating the uninformed masses. I particularly like the way he ties in the rise in crime with the rise in single parent homes, begining in the mid sixties.

He provides statistical proof that the liberal agenda is the CAUSE of the problem, not the solution.

If you ever wonderd why liberals like to blame guns, it is because to do otherwise is to admit to the failure of their own ideology.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
bttt
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
My big problem with guns is I can never have too many. And I'm always wanting "Just 1 more".

Great Post, thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My big problem with guns is I can never have too many. And I'm always wanting "Just 1 more".

Great Post, thanks for the link.
View Quote

I hear ya. A few weeks ago, I swore off buying any more guns, for at least a year. That very same day, I walk into the local gun shop and there is the rifle I had been looking for. A heavy Barrel M77 Ruger, SS, laminated stock. $450, with rings. So now, what to do about scope? I have Leupold 4.5X14 VariX III tactical on an AR, so I'll use that. What to use on the AR? So I buy a Leupold 3X9 VariX II, used, $170.
But then I see a great deal on a Springfield Armory 4X14 with a .223 cal bullet drop compensator reticle, only $239, shipped. So I buy that.

My "no more guns" turned into a $880 binge. And I haven't picked up my LEGP and the Armi-Jager AP-74 that are waiting at X-Ring's shop for me.

But this time, I swear! No more guns for a year! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is a great post.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't have the needed "spin" that media entities have to have to report their news and reports.  With the exception of maybe FNC, no respectable reporter, editor, or writer would ever post something like this.
View Quote

[size=1]ha ha ha ha[/size=1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This was the key to the entire essay, I thought:

The American population has become a collection of programmed hysterical unthinking herds. They are being programmed to believe guns are somehow the problem while they are being diverted from examining reality and the real problem.

When we go beyond these two groups we enter into a polarized world. It is a world of deep division polarized on everything along social and political lines. Much of that division occurs along the complete array of liberalism determined to impose itself and demand enforced compliance to its agenda throughout society, versus its antithesis determined to resist that imposition. Essentially, the ultimate purpose of gun control is to render people incapable of the ultimate form of protest and resistance to that imposition. Both sides know it.
View Quote

It is obvious that when the NWO takes over, this guy will be one of the first to get "re-educated".  Whether that will be by being put into a "mental hospital" as in the former USSR, or with bullet behind the ear as in Cambodia remains to be seen.  

He's too dangerous to leave laying around - he recognizes and spreads TRUTH.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Good read, but long.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You're preaching to the choir
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. I am providing useful information to the choir so that they may use it when they preach to their congregations.

There is a great deal of useful data in this article, as well as a great thesis, which can be helpful to all of us when we are trying to convert our neighbors into believers. It's hard to argue with the correlation between the increase in violent crime and the furthering of the liberal movement, when you have numbers to back up your argument.

I think everyone should bookmark that article for future reference.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing will change the minds of the limosine liberals.  Don't you know that they know what is good for us all?  Ask one they'll tell you.  KBaker is right, this guy will be first in line for a re-education.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Good post. That guy in 100% dead on target.

One point I would add is I don't think his assertion that young criminals arbitrarily select guns as weapons of violence is correct. The influence of television and Hollywood has to be taken into consideration as well.

So, are you a member of the 35% or the 20%? If you’re smart, you won’t answer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm smart. I won't answer. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good read, but long.
View Quote

So are the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the
Federalist Papers!
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shut up! If that is the summation of what you
learned from reading the articles you are
clueless.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No. I am providing useful information to the choir so that they may use it when they preach to their congregations.

There is a great deal of useful data in this article, as well as a great thesis, which can be helpful to all of us when we are trying to convert our neighbors into believers. It's hard to argue with the correlation between the increase in violent crime and the furthering of the liberal movement, when you have numbers to back up your argument.

I think everyone should bookmark that article for future reference.
View Quote
[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm smart. I won't answer. [:)]
View Quote

Me too. [^]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top