Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 9:32:16 PM EDT
There was a recent thread regarding Mormon theology (Mormon Thread) which was locked due to antiMormon invective. The thread made me wonder: does anyone remember how to make common cause?

I could specify, in detail which would be both mind-numbing and rude, why I reject Mormon theology and cosmology. I would have a stroke if my sons told me they had converted to LDS, just as every Mormon on this board would have a stroke if his sons announced that they had become Episcopalians. The short way to explain this? If I were favorably impressed by Mormon theology and cosmology, I WOULD BE A MORMON. If any given Mormon were favorably impressed by the theology and cosmology to which I subscribe, HE'D BE AN EPISCOPALIAN. I will witness orthodox Christianity to any Mormon who gives me any clue that he might be interested; every devout LDS will evangelize me as long as I will listen. That's life.

The proposal is this. In any thread which is not labeled "No Holds Barred Discussion of XXXX Theology," we deal with and speak to one another as comrades in service to the principle of human liberty.

Thank you for your attention.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Heretic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Jonathon Swift?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Kill it with FIRE!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
My Jesus can beat up your Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
REEEEEAL BABY BACK RIBS.

FALLING OFFFFF THEEEE BONE!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no common sense.  No universal common sense.  At least that I know of.

Sorry.....I've been drinking....again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah well, my Jesus will whupp up on both of your Jesus' at the same time, with one arm tied behind his back!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
as funny as all of these replies are the proposal is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm one of the least religious people you'll ever meet, but I still try to treat people with respect, including my various Catholic, Lutheran, Mormon, Buddhist, and Muslim friends.  Their actions (not killing me or stealing my stuff) matter to me a lot more than their justifications for them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want to talk about how bad mormons suck (if some are inclined to think about them that way) then there are certainly other places to do that.

I think the problem there was that genuine questions about theology got mixed in from the crowd who believed in sentence one. I don't have a problem with genuine questions about my theology, and I have a feeling most Catholics and Mormons and Episcopalians and Evangelicals and Pentecostals don't either. Even debating theology is sometimes instructive and enjoyable.

It is when we get into the faith bashing (mormons suck! catholics suck! pentecostals suck!) that I think things go too far. If you have a legitimate criticism of someone's theological ideas, then make the arguement from scripture and out of genuine interest.

I know I had some theology questions in the LDS thread that didn't get answered, but that I would really like to know the answers to. And similiarly I would have been happy to explain why I believe what I believe to genuine inquisitors.

Even atheists and agnostics are welcome to question why in an intelligent and respectful manner like everyone else.

But inevitably religion threads turn into bashing sessions for the most part, because some don't know how to debate without resorting to calling the other guy a doodie head. Perhaps the best policy would be for those seeking genuine answers in the thread to ignore the trolls or for the thread starter to ask the mods to delete specific offensive or out of bounds posts.

That sounds workable to me: Give the starter of the thread some control over how the thread goes, and remove specifically offensive posts without wasting what could be a very good thread?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Jonathon Swift?

I think the Irish will sit this one out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Welll.....certain catholic girls suck real well?

Oh wait...OT.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah well, my Jesus will whupp up on both of your Jesus' at the same time, with one arm tied behind his back!  

My Jesus would shit his robe if he was reading this thread right now!
Im making popcorn
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#16]
You've got a valid point FLA'.

I don't even BELIEVE in God let alone WHO's interpretation of His intent for Mans existance is right (Or wrong) BUT, I find myself in agreement politically and on (Most) matters of "Morality" with Christians far more often than not.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The proposal is this. In any thread which is not labeled "No Holds Barred Discussion of XXXX Theology," we deal with and speak to one another as comrades in service to the principle of human liberty.

All kidding aside, well said FLAL1A.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Do they make good lowers?  What is the pin size?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There was a recent thread regarding Mormon theology (Mormon Thread) which was locked due to antiMormon invective. The thread made me wonder: does anyone remember how to make common cause?

I could specify, in detail which would be both mind-numbing and rude, why I reject Mormon theology and cosmology. I would have a stroke if my sons told me they had converted to LDS, just as every Mormon on this board would have a stroke if his sons announced that they had become Episcopalians. The short way to explain this? If I were favorably impressed by Mormon theology and cosmology, I WOULD BE A MORMON. If any given Mormon were favorably impressed by the theology and cosmology to which I subscribe, HE'D BE AN EPISCOPALIAN. I will witness orthodox Christianity to any Mormon who gives me any clue that he might be interested; every devout LDS will evangelize me as long as I will listen. That's life.

Sorry, can't do it.

Sure, explain your own brand of theology all you want (I direct this to the non-Christians, i.e. mormon or lds) but when you try to suggest it's valid, at that point, I have to speak up.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do they make good lowers?  What is the pin size?  

The Mormons, the Catholics and some of the Protestant churches make good lowers.  Some of the Protestant churches that accept homosexuality however, make lowers that appear purple in certian light.  Their pins are also smaller and covered in poop cosmaline

I personally think its a trap.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I know I had some theology questions in the LDS thread that didn't get answered, but that I would really like to know the answers to. And similiarly I would have been happy to explain why I believe what I believe to genuine inquisitors.

NOBODY expects the Spanish ARFCOM Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope AR15.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#22]
SDFGHJKL:><LKMNJBHVGFCDXSSXCD VBNMJL>{LPKMJNB @WSDXCV BNM_)PL<MWSDCV    

Catholic and proud!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sorry, can't do it.

Sure, explain your own brand of theology all you want (I direct this to the non-Christians, i.e. mormon or lds) but when you try to suggest it's valid, at that point, I have to speak up.

You have a point. ". . . and that's why we handle copperheads, drink Clorox, and believe anyone who doesn't is going to hell" is one thing; "You're going to hell if you don't start handling snakes" is quite another.

Proselytizing is by definition argument (and likely to get nasty if the parties involved are well-informed in their respective faiths); I'm talking about subjects like "What do Mormons think about the Bible?" or "Why do orthodox Jews have forelocks and long beards?" or "What's the deal with Catholics and Mary?" I don't see any good reason why threads like should get argumentative, unless somebody's just spoiling for a fight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I just avoind the relgion threads, but I avoid religion in general.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top