Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 2:10:53 PM EDT
With all the hub-bub swirling around ARFCOM for the last few days, I felt compelled to share today's experience.

I just got back from Hartford Hospital here in Connecticut. One of my dad's older brothers, Dwight, died today in the ICU. He was 60 years old. My uncle Dwight was truly, truly one of the good guys. He lived simply, had two children, took care of an infirmed wife for a number of years, but was a great guy who always had a positive outlook. I loved just being around him. He was very active. He rode his bike every day, rode dirt bikes with us on the weekends, and just last summer he climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire with his daughter and son-in-law. Any time something happened with a member of the family, he was usually the first relative to call or stop by to see how you were doing.

For instance, I mentioned the dirt bike riding. Well, the whole Goblin family rides dirt bikes. Always have. Many of us raced in circuits around the Northeast. Another of my uncles, Don, was National Enduro Champion in 1975, and raced all around the world, competing in ISDTs in many foreign countries. Well, in 2000, I was racing the local circuit (NETRA), and one day, on a Sunday that a race was cancelled, I decided to go out riding anyway and treat it as if I were   racing, to help keep my skills up. My brother and my uncle Dwight went with me (we usually had a small group of riders with us anyway). Anyway, I ended up going down hard and broke three ribs and collapsed a lung. It was my uncle Dwight who came up on me first. When my brother got to the spot, my uncle went to call for help and then guided a 4x4 pickup to the spot where I was laying. I was put on a backboard and the pickup hauled me out to a waiting ambulance. Almost every day my uncle Dwight would stop by or call to see how I was doing. He really did care about family. He lived it.

Two weeks ago, he got a sinus infection that standard medication wouldn't knock down, so he was prescribed something that finally did send the infection packing, but in the process, it stripped his intestines or colon or something of "good" bacteria. One by one, his organs were ravaged by things that the body normally takes care of automatically. Finally, his lungs started giving out, and today the decision was made to pull all life support apparatus off him and let nature take its course. Dwight's son could not stay with his dad because his mother was breaking down and needed to leave immediately. I decided to stay as long as it took. While the medical personnel began "unhooking" the myriad of gizmos and gadgets, I stook beside him, telling him I loved him and that I wouldn't leave him. It didn't take long for the inevitable. He died at 2:04 this afternoon with me by his side. He was heavily sedated, so only God knows if he realized I was there with him as he slipped away.

I've cried more today than I have in a long, long time. I honestly, and I mean honestly believe the world is worse off today than it was yesterday because of his passing. I don't understand why this had to happen, but I know God is in control and that with time, the sorrow will fade.

Thank you for sharing a few minutes with me as I unload this with you, the brotherhood of AR15.com. I've got to go tend my baby boy right now. God willing, my little David will live a long life and understand he has a great family and the best of them passed away on January 11th, 2005.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm very sorry to hear of your family's loss.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences to you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm very sorry to hear of your family's loss.  

Same here man... Sounds like this world lost a great man.  I'm sure he'll be smiling down on you and your family from his new home in Heaven.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
My deepest sympathy for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep your head up bro, sounds like he was one hell of a guy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My sympathy and prayers...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that process is never easy ...  My grandfather isn't doing very well at all right now either.

I think watching a loved one suffer is one of the worst things to have to go through.  My granddad was working so hard just to breathe (pneumonia) and I hated to see that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Wobblin-Goblin:

I am personally sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved uncle Dwight. Know, however, that your life and lives that he touched in his years will always be immeasurably enriched for having known him. Though he may no longer spread his love of life directly, through you and others, that remarkable zeal and compassion will continue to spread. I'm sure that your uncle Dwight had a relative before him that he felt the same way about. That is what makes your family special. Keep his loving memory alive by not breaking the chain.

Thank you for pouring out your heart to us, and for sharing your rememberance of your uncle and dear friend.

May God bless you, your family, and all those who knew and loved Dwight. May God grant a well-deserved eternal peace to his soul.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Wobb, sorry to hear about your families loss. My sincerest condolences.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you, fellas. Kinda hard today.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
It is the hardest thing you can do But it is a measure of the man that you did it.  He knew you where there, as My father did when they pulled him off of life support 3 years ago.  My eyes still well up when I think of this, and my deepest sympathys go out to you and your family.

As my dad breathed his last breath I came to attention and saluted, with the term Semper Fi.
And then said the marines version of the lords prayer.  Your Uncle has Gone to a better place,
But it is still hard and somtimes impossible to accept.
May he find that perfect Jump and good traction on every ride.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry, you have my condolences...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope that your sorrow will soon resolve itself so that you can celebrate having been a part of the life of a GREAT individual.   Sounds like he lived his life exceedingly well.  That's WAY cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My sympathies and prayers go out to you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My prayers tonight will be for you and you family. Sounded like a great guy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Very sorry to hear about that.

That was a very nice writeup. It's probably reminded everyone who read it of what really matters in life. Please consider sharing it at the services.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Again, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Our most heartfelt condolonces.  Ops
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Hang in there buddy!

You know we all are sending out prayers & that even though We didn't know him, We all know what it's like to loose someone you love.

Please accept My Deepest sympathy, and pass on his life to your kids, and Their kids too!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry about your uncle.

My condolences to you and yours.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry for your loss.

A tragedy like this can put a lot of things in a clearer perspective.  I guess you’ve really been through the wringer the past few days.  

I’m also horrified that something that was supposed to help him apparently did the exact opposite!!

And 60 just isn’t that old!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top