Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2012 11:21:37 AM EDT
WTF

Local shop just posted it for sale at a crazy cheap price but WTF is up with the import mark?

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Not aware of any large numbers of recently imported 1911's (let alone a "commercial" series 70).   Hell..... probably imported back into the country from some foreign police dept.

Buy it and welcome it back home!  
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not aware of any large numbers of recently imported 1911's (let alone a "comercial" series 70).   Hell..... probably imported back into the country from some foreign police dept.

Shouldn't you be opening a safe?

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Something Colt exported came back home sometime after GCA68

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Exported weapon, re-imported by Century.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not buy it first and then see what it's worth?  I see these threads in AR Discussions, "Hey I just bought xxxxxxx, was that a good idea/did I get a good deal/ what should I do different?"
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not aware of any large numbers of recently imported 1911's (let alone a "comercial" series 70).   Hell..... probably imported back into the country from some foreign police dept.

Give that 1911 a loving home and I just might!  

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why not buy it first and then see what it's worth?  I see these threads in AR Discussions, "Hey I just bought xxxxxxx, was that a good idea/did I get a good deal/ what should I do different?"

It's $599

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give that 1911 a loving home and I just might!  

I just might do that

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

yep I'd WAG South America someplace , some chiefs customized gun

Sold a batch of CAI marked GP100s from Australia awhile back
$599 is a OK price probably $150 less than a non marked gun would go for  , its a shooter not a collectable so who cares about import mark
I figured more like $350-400 when ya said cheap

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
$599? Fuck that.

My IAC imported Turkish 1911 was $350.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep I'd WAG South America someplace , some chiefs customized gun

Sold a batch of CAI marked GP100s from Australia awhile back

$599 is a OK price probably $150 less than a non marked gun would go for  , its a shooter not a collectable so who cares about import mark

I figured more like $350-400 when ya said cheap

I thought $599 was cheap for a stainless series 70? I called a buddy about it who's a 1911 addict so we'll see if he wants it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I thought $599 was cheap for a stainless series 70? I called a buddy about it who's a 1911 addict so we'll see if he wants it.  

Isn't it hard chrome or nickel?

Lightly customized series 70s are fairly common and available in the $700 range

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Stainless? I doubt it. If I remember correctly, Colt didn't start doing Stainless guns until the 1980s with their Series 80s guns, after they stopped making Series 70s.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't look bad... 599$ is right at the edge of "hrmmmmm" territory,  Not a deal, not a rip-off.

Think of it this way... You'd own a Century gun that works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't it hard chrome or nickel?

Lightly customized series 70s are fairly common and available in the $700 range

Hmm, not sure then.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
electroless nickel. matte finish..not stainless..
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell them it's a hard chrome and inform them it's a CAI gun.
Then pull out $300-400 dollars cash.
See what they do.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, they plated the front sight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, they plated the front sight.

Didn't even notice that!

This is why I love ARFcom, it saves me money
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Unreliable pistol from an importer of unreliable weapons, no surprise there ... meh.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unreliable pistol from an importer of unreliable weapons, no surprise there ... meh.

Unreliable pistol? . Que?  I'll agree that CAI stamps on a gun generally mean "avoid"... But seriously, Series 70 unreliable?   Place the polymer crack pipe down and sober up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought a Series 70 is a desirable gun, much more than a new anything, but that may just be me. That one is lightly modified and would be interesting to me at the asking price. But as someone mentoned I would low ball them, the import mark does reduce the price for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

That's a serious pistoleros gun from the Cooper era..... Old school- that grip safety- that's Kings......same with the rear sight, that's a Hardballer. That pistol was put together by a man who was serious about his fighting guns. I'm waay too sentimental about that kind of thing but guns like that speak to me- the guy that built it was one of US, he may be gone but the pistol lives on.....and should belong and be appreciated by someone with the same spirit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreliable pistol? . Que?  I'll agree that CAI stamps on a gun generally mean "avoid"... But seriously, Series 70 unreliable?   Place the polymer crack pipe down and sober up a bit.

I was greatly dissatisfied with mine, and sold it.

But I'm sure people that shoot twice a year will tell you they are great.

Mine had many problems and was poorly built. I don't miss it.

I guess they're better than Kimber's... Like that's impressive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, your pistols are all  made from recycled 2 liter coke bottles?

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All day. Every day. In a Galco Combat Master.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

That's a serious pistoleros gun from the Cooper era..... Old school- that grip safety- that's Kings......same with the rear sight, that's a Hardballer. That pistol was put together by a man who was serious about his fighting guns. I'm waay too sentimental about that kind of thing but guns like that speak to me- the guy that built it was one of US, he may be gone but the pistol lives on.....and should belong and be appreciated by someone with the same spirit.

QFT
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#28]
No idea about the rollmark but a great looking gun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Its my gun.(was until it sold yesterday)

1. I bought this from century arms. This was the ONLY model of this type available. I also ordered a combat commander and a few remington 1911s, this was the first to be released from Century internationals bond warehouse, and thus was the first to reach my gun shop.

2. the finish is a hard chrome in matte and it has been refinished some time since its creation in 1976, could have told you that if you asked Ghetto

3. yes this gun was imported overseas for police use, then recently imported back to century arms. there is no "big shipment" of colts coming in from overseas. there were around 50 colts they got in and ALL have already been paid for by dealers like myself, we are just waiting for them to clear centurys bond warehouse and be released to us for shipping.

my cost with shipping - 504. my price to anyone who would like to purchase this gun - 599.

gun sold yesterday about 2 mins after "ghetto" here telling me he had car trouble and couldnt pick it up.

not sure where you guys are finding 400-450 1911 colts from century or anywhere else for that matter, my resale certificate and FFL license doesnt even get me those prices.

anyway just thought i would give some insight on this gun considering all the "google" experts here throwing 2 cents around like mortars

also "ghetto" if you are going to share my photography include a link so these folks can get a look at the blog!
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its my gun.(was until it sold yesterday)

1. I bought this from century arms. This was the ONLY model of this type available. I also ordered a combat commander and a few remington 1911s, this was the first to be released from Century internationals bond warehouse, and thus was the first to reach my gun shop.

2. the finish is matte nickel, and it has been refinished some time since its creation in 1976, could have told you that if you asked Ghetto

3. yes this gun was imported overseas for police use, then recently imported back to century arms. there is no "big shipment" of colts coming in from overseas. there were around 50 colts they got in and ALL have already been paid for by dealers like myself, we are just waiting for them to clear centurys bond warehouse and be released to us for shipping.

my cost with shipping - 504. my price to anyone who would like to purchase this gun - 599.

gun sold yesterday about 2 mins after "ghetto" here telling me he had car trouble and couldnt pick it up.

not sure where you guys are finding 400-450 1911 colts from century or anywhere else for that matter, my resale certificate and FFL license doesnt even get me those prices.

anyway just thought i would give some insight on this gun considering all the "google" experts here throwing 2 cents around like mortars

also "ghetto" if you are going to share my photography include a link so these folks can get a look at the blog!

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#31]
The above comment is correct
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
anyway just thought i would give some insight on this gun considering
all the "google" experts here throwing 2 cents around like mortars

Where in this thread did anyone say that ?
Conciseness in this thread $599 was fair
you have 32 auctions/zero feedback on auctionarms and an RSR drop ship website

we now bow down to an obvious titan of the industry

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
"I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

That's a serious pistoleros gun from the Cooper era..... Old school- that grip safety- that's Kings......same with the rear sight, that's a Hardballer. That pistol was put together by a man who was serious about his fighting guns. I'm waay too sentimental about that kind of thing but guns like that speak to me- the guy that built it was one of US, he may be gone but the pistol lives on.....and should belong and be appreciated by someone with the same spirit."

The above comment is correct
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I just bought a LW Commander with the CAI markings.  Rumor has it they are ex Israeli police guns and there seems to be a huge variety of pistols(damn near any make or model you can imagine)  sold off after a recent upgrade they went through for sidearms over there.

eta:

Mine is pretty rough from lots of carry, but mechanically sound.  It is my new project pistol.

That one looks way too nice to have used like mine.

Here is a side shot of mine with the CAI markings.

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to the forum, HGF

Your blog address is on the pic BTW

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#37]
In on one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just bought a LW Commander with the CAI markings.  Rumor has it they are ex Israeli police guns and there seems to be a huge variety of pistols(damn near any make or model you can imagine)  sold off after a recent upgrade they went through for sidearms over there.

i heard that "rumor" too but century was not willing to confirm nor deny

they were all priced very well, only problem is century put out the list of goodies before they even had the bonds released on them

i am very excited to see the lw commander i ordered .... .hope yours was nice.

feel free to throw some pics up!!

(sure ghetto wont mind if thread is derailed, gun is sold anyways)

and for those who are taking me literally - im a disgruntled veteran gun shop owner - dont take me seriously lol

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l596/WaylandTR85/f956f581.jpg

I've got to ask; why would you want to carry such an expensive gun? If you did have to use it in self defense there's a chance you might never see it again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i heard that "rumor" too but century was not willing to confirm nor deny

they were all priced very well, only problem is century put out the list of goodies before they even had the bonds released on them

i am very excited to see the lw commander i ordered .... .hope yours was nice.

feel free to throw some pics up!!

(sure ghetto wont mind if thread is derailed, gun is sold anyways)

and for those who are taking me literally - im a disgruntled veteran gun shop owner - dont take me seriously lol

Yeah, I chatted a bit online with the shop owner I bought it from in Arkansas.  He suspected they came from Israel, but no proof.  He said Century was protecting its sources and he didn't blame them.  

I will post all the pictures I have of mine.  It is rough with some pitting and hs been refinished.  Someone carried it a lot.  I am going to have some work done on it and use it for my carry gun.

Standby on the pictures.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Some of these pictures are from the dealer I bought it from and some are mine.  You can tell mine by the replacement grips and grip tape.

This thing was filthy when I got it.  It must have had a couple of table spoons of dirt in it and another one under the grips.  The factory grips still tons of sweat caked dirt and skin cells in them.  I am keeping them until I get a good picture and then I will toss them.

The pistol has been hard chromed, frame and slide, and the small parts reblued.  It has pitting under the chrome on the slide and along the left side of the frame near the mainspring housing.  It is going to get new sights, different grips(wood maybe), a beavertail, new trigger and then be refinished.  It shoots great.  I wish this thing could talk.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some of these pictures are from the dealer I bought it from and some are mine.  You can tell mine by the replacement grips and grip tape.

This thing was filthy when I got it.  It must have had a couple of table spoons of dirt in it and another one under the grips.  The factory grips still tons of sweat caked dirt and skin cells in them.  I am keeping them until I get a good picture and then I will toss them.

The pistol has been hard chromed, frame and slide, and the small parts reblued.  It has pitting under the chrome on the slide and along the left side of the frame near the mainspring housing.  It is going to get new sights, different grips(wood maybe), a beavertail, new trigger and then be refinished.  It shoots great.  I wish this thing could talk.  

mine was filthy as well (thats why i got the pics of it disassembled, i usually dont go that far in my photography)

seems we have similar finishes as well, although mine has less wear.

hope mine is no worse than yours, but it being worn like that is a plus - makes for an AWESOME carry gun you dont have to worry about dinging or scratching!

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#43]
NOTE -

im going back to my hole now - just thought i would use my membership here for once and comment on that colt - beautiful gun!

if you guys need me ill be at www.texasgunblog.com
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine was filthy as well (thats why i got the pics of it disassembled, i usually dont go that far in my photography)

seems we have similar finishes as well, although mine has less wear.

hope mine is no worse than yours, but it being worn like that is a plus - makes for an AWESOME carry gun you dont have to worry about dinging or scratching!

Mine is perfect for a base gun to customize and refinish.  I hate hacking on pristine guns.  Hopefully yours isn't as rough though.  It does shoot fine.  You can see where they worked a bit on the ejection port on my pistol too.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

$599?  I'd buy that piece ON THE SPOT.

I have some suspicion King's might have actually done the work on that gun.  I'd need to see it in person.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#46]
What shop? Where? (Gets out cash)
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

No worries

been at it for 17 years myself

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got to ask; why would you want to carry such an expensive gun? If you did have to use it in self defense there's a chance you might never see it again.

People will drive nice cars that are a split second away from being totaled every day, but then question why I carry a gun that costs much less than their car. I find that hilarious.

First, it's the only 1911 I've owned that has been dependable, and thus I am willing to trust my life to it.

Secondly, I can make hits with it more reliably than my Glocks.

Thirdly, if I ever have to use that gun in violence, it will have been worth every penny I paid, even if I never see it again (though I likely will).

Fourth, it is more likely that it would be stolen left at home in the safe, than used to defend myself on my hip.

Any other questions? Are you going to ask how I can stand to scratch up and holster wear such a nice gun too?

If I wasn't going to use it, I wouldn't have it. It's a tool, not an oil painting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People will drive nice cars that are a split second away from being totaled every day, but then question why I carry a gun that costs much less than their car. I find that hilarious.

First, it's the only 1911 I've owned that has been dependable, and thus I am willing to trust my life to it.

Thirdly, if I ever have to use that gun in violence, it will have been worth every penny I paid, even if I never see it again (though I likely will).

Forth, it is more likely that it would be stolen left at home in the safe, than used to defend myself on my hip.

Any other questions? Are you going to ask how I can stand to scratch up and holster wear such a nice gun too?

If I wasn't going to use it, I wouldn't have it. It's a tool, not a paperweight.

It was a simple question, calm the fuck down.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forth, it is more likely that it would be stolen left at home in the safe, than used to defend myself on my hip.

If I wasn't going to use it, I wouldn't have it. It's a tool, not a paperweight.

It was a simple question, calm the fuck down.

I am not seeing any anger or any other excitement there.

Oh well, just another day in GD.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top