Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:23:51 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some of the ATV registration laws (I’m assuming they are the same for dirtbikes).

I bought my atv back in March of 08. I went to the DMV and paid the titling fee to have the title put in my name, and paid the registration fee for 3 years. So now I get a letter in the mail stating that my registration is going to expire soon, and I need to renew it again.

So here is my question….why do I need to have it registered? I know that I needed to initially in order to get the title put in my name, and take care of all of the legal stuff when I first purchased it…….but now I already have the title for it in my name and I already claim it on my PP tax. WHY do I need to pay to have it registered every three years?

What’s the point?  None of the place I have ever been riding at require a registration.  You don't take them on the road.....

Oh, I'm in Missouri by the way.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Revenue
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
There's no legit reason other than it's one more thing they can tax.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I did mine for the title in mo but they only place they checked was at a statepark that had trails
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no "Registration" out here in CO, but if you want to ride on the vast amounts of BLM land and National Forest, you need a "Sticker", which is sort of like a registration.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Revenue

First post, again.

$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Revenue

/thread.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I register mine in WI so I can ride the public trails.  They also sell a trail pass sticker, and you can use either.  There a good portion of the registration goes to support the trail system, and DNR does check and I believe the ticket is $175 for being on a public trail w/o a sticker.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Yearly, "ORV" DNR sticker here in MI.

it is all about the money -
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
$$$$
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yearly, "ORV" DNR sticker here in MI.

it is all about the money -

Not sure about ATV's but I have spent plenty of time on MI snowmobile trails.  Easily some of the best maintained and most scenic I have ever been on.  Somebody has to spend the money to put up signs, buy groomers, and pay the groomer drivers.  I would presume that the ATV registration fees do something similar no?
Top Top