Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:58:44 PM EDT
You have a 21 year old college student.  Never got into any serious trouble, very responsible and dependable.  You child wishes to travel from one end of the country to the next via an airplane on a Friday, watch his favorite team's sporting event (Fav team vs. Fav players, two birds with one stone) on Staurday, then fly back on Sunday only to return to his studies on Monday.  

Ticket is $385 for round trip, $100 game ticket, which totals for the entire trip to be around $1k.  The city to be traveled to is Pittsburgh.  Your child has worked enough for the past two summers to easily cover the trip.

Given all the things that have gone on in the world lately, would you let your child embark on this amazing journey alone?  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah why not hes 21 not 12
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing the "child" is you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't sound too bad.  Not like Cancun for a week or anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Uhhhhhh, 21 years old, you should'nt have to ask your parents...

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then, no....having to "ask" before you go says you aren't ready.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
They guy is 21, your child is a grown man. I can understand that it's a little difficult to let your children go out into the world, but this is a little ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If you trust him o be able to recognize a dangerous situation I say sure. If he's got a good head on his neck he should be fine.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not? Is he not a fully grown adult by now?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a college student.  So, take what I say however you like.  

Still, he is 21.  Let him pay for it, let him dicide.  Don't let him slack on his responsibilities to you if he is living at home. He is an adult, let him make his good or bad decisons.  Hopefully he will learn from both.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the great thing about being a kid is being irresponsible.  However in this case sounds good.  I can't fly rount trip from Portland Oregon to LA - he must have played his cars right to get round trip for under 4 hundred.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Doesn't sound too bad.  Not like Cancun for a week or anything.

LOL.  My brother, a college student, went to mexico for a trip.   Has'nt the money to spend the night in a motel before they leave... so he slept in the cab of his truck...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
would you let your child embark on this amazing journey alone?  

What is this the 1800s? J/k 21 years old they can do what they want, Now if your paying its up to you. Nothings better than seeing you fav team play.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
If he or she is 21 years old it is not up to you and you really have no say in the matter.  You do not have to give them money to go if you do not want to but a 21 year old adult can go if they want.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
$1000 bucks might get you a one way ticket to Aruba.

I hear those are getting more popular these days.

just something to consider.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had already served 4 years in the Army (including a tour of combat) by the time I was 21.  I sure as heck never felt the need to ask any civilian for permission to do anything.  

I spent my 22nd birthday in a combat zone

come to think of it, why is this guy living at home at the ripe old age of 21?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
At 21?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I couldnt really stop my 21 year old from doing it, but then again I can think of why I would need to, especially if they were responsible.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you drink your beer with a nipple or without?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]
for the record, if my kid was going to school on my dime, and living in my house, I'd tell him to put that money towards his own tuition.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$1000 bucks might get you a one way ticket to Aruba.

I'm willing to bet the rates are even cheaper than that.

you're right. a little over 500
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#24]
If you can find a 21 year old "kid" that does ANYTHING his/her parents want, then nominate them for sainthood.  

This trip is exactly the kind of things 21 year olds do, for Pete's sake.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I had already served 4 years in the Army (including a tour of combat) by the time I was 21.  I sure as heck never felt the need to ask any civilian for permission to do anything.  

lol!  I was just thinking the same thing.  

Different world I guess.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#26]
This shouldn't even be a discussion topic:

At 18, we let every able bodied person join the Armed Services, get training and a gun and fight for our country in a foreign land.

And we are discussing going on an airplane ride to a football game?

Or am I missing the point?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Rem700Pss,
I live in the Pittsburgh area, about 15 miles SE of the City.  If your Child is 21 I'd say let them go.  Back when I was probably 20 or 21 I went with a buddy of mine and we drove to Chicago to watch Nolan Ryan pitch in a game at the Old Comisky Park.  We made no reservations, We just jumped in his car and drove.  We found a hotel and then next morning stood in line for some tickets.  We had a great time in Chicago.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry, but if the "child" is 21 and still living at home, then it is the parent's decision.  Unless the child is paying rent and chipping in for food and utilities.  Otherwise, you get no say.

Just like having a kid doesn't automatically make you a mother or father, being 21 doesn't automatically make you an "adult".  It depends on the situation...  IMO

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Who's footing the bill? The child or the parents?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#30]
yep
By the way, He's an adult
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#32]
At the age of 18, having turned my back on my father and walking away from a sobbing mother, carrying nothing more than the clothes on my back and about 10 bucks in change - I would have to recommend that your "child" not be allowed to go on this journey.

Mostly due to the plain fact that you won't be there to wipe his ass when he goes and makes a wittle dookie.

And I don’t blame the kid one bit - you’ve got a 21 year old that you treat like a child.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I side with the roof and dime people.  If he is still under his parents roof - then they have some say, and if they are using their dime to send him to school, then he should consider spending the k on something more responsable (like a SEBR)

That said, at 21, he is old enough to dog it to the game and save a lot off that air fair.  Taking grayhound accross the US would be and educational experiance.

Main issue to me is not the trip itself, but the money.  I have traveled some, but being a cheep b_stard I manged to things for a lot less.  I did Europe (for about $1300), and Central America was a bit (but that was with a guide in a Mercades).  Several week+ trips into central Mexico for arround $250, and trips accross the US were never much over $200 for 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I traveled Europe by myself at that age. Nevermind road trips.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#35]
At 21 my kid would call me from his own fucking house to let me know he's leaving town.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I side with the roof and dime people.  If he is still under his parents roof - then they have some say, and if they are using their dime to send him to school, then he should consider spending the k on something more responsable (like a SEBR)

That said, at 21, he is old enough to dog it to the game and save a lot off that air fair.  Taking grayhound accross the US would be and educational experiance.

I agree.  I think 1000.00 is a heck of a lot of money to spend on a game/night in Pittsburgh.  If you've been working to save for college, then it's money that's not well spent.

That being said, if it's something that you'll regret NOT doing (look at it objectively...in a year, will it matter?) then go, or not go. You're 21. It's your decision.  Also, is it worth creating a possible rift with your parents, whom you OBVIOUSLY still live with?

Again..your decision.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Wait a second - a thousand dollars for the whole weekend?

385 for the plane, 100 for the ticket, 50 for cab fare to/from stadium,  100 for a hotel, and another hundo for beer and hot dogs?

That leaves only $265 for a g of blow and 2 crack whores -which is tight, but it can be done (doens't leave any money for condoms though).  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Wait a second - a thousand dollars for the whole weekend?

385 for the plane, 100 for the ticket, 50 for cab fare to/from stadium,  100 for a hotel, and another hundo for beer and hot dogs?

That leaves only $265 for a g of blow and 2 crack whores -which is tight, but it can be done (doens't leave any money for condoms though).  

75 cents at the corner gas station
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Parents permission or not that kid has to go, if only to stand on his feet for the first time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I lived by my parents whims on issues like this until I was 25.  Part of their contribution to my college education was allowing me to stay at their house and eat their food without cost while I paid for college and paid back student loans.  

If I wanted to spend money extravagantly, then I would have had to pay rent.  I thought it was a hell of a deal.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#41]
21 is not a child, cut the apron strings for Christs sake.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
yeah why not hes 21 not 12

Got to agree, even if you didn't like it, your "child" is not a "child" anymore. You should do nothing more then to say have a good trip....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You have a 21 year old college student.  Never got into any serious trouble, very responsible and dependable.  You child wishes to travel from one end of the country to the next via an airplane on a Friday, watch his favorite team's sporting event (Fav team vs. Fav players, two birds with one stone) on Staurday, then fly back on Sunday only to return to his studies on Monday.  

Ticket is $385 for round trip, $100 game ticket, which totals for the entire trip to be around $1k.  The city to be traveled to is Pittsburgh.  Your child has worked enough for the past two summers to easily cover the trip.

Given all the things that have gone on in the world lately, would you let your child embark on this amazing journey alone?  

If they are 21 and have earned the money for it themselves, I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#44]
"let"?  You are an adult, make your own decisions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Hell yes...

What do you want him to do?  Sit around and 35 with two kids watching ball on TV saying "Damn I wish I would have gone to that game."  A better question would be why the hell don't you go with him?  

I'm 31, My father died a few years back at 59.  I can only wish that he and I did more shit together.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
for the record, if my kid was going to school on my dime, and living in my house, I'd tell him to put that money towards his own tuition.

+1

If the kid's parents are selflessly busting their ass to afford them an education, and for the kid to then show their "gratitude" by saving their own money to selfishly go on a weekend trip, I say no fucking way.  You wanna "play" like an adult?  Pay ALL you bills and take care of your responsibilities like an adult, then go play.

R
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#47]
If you are living at home at 21 you get no say.

My house - my rules.

If the kids don't like it they can move out.

Just because my son turns 21 does not mean he get to do what he wants, when he wants if he is living at home. He gets his own apartment, then I don't care what he spends his money on or trips he takes.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

A lot faster than I would let him/her go to Cancun/Costa Rica/insert third world shithole frequented by college-aged youth.

Besides....21 is 21, unless he/she lives under your roof.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes, at age 21 it would make a nice present if you can afford it.  AFAIK Pitsbugh has yet to reach third-world status.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top