Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:22:42 PM EDT

This thing is sweeeeeeet!!!! Dual-core is da bomb! I can burn DVD's and play games at the same time. There is no such thing as "bogging down" anymore.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that is cool...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Id like to try one before I throw out the big money on one.

I did get me a new monitor, HD and mouse this weekend atleast.

The speakers should ship to me soon too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
beautiful
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah it smokes HT. now if it were only a P4 3.6 like ive got
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's another cool thing. The new AMD CPUs have a feature called "Cool n' Quiet". When you enable it, the CPU runs at the highest frequency it needs to to give top performance. For example, when I'm surfing the net, it'll run at 1000 MHz and occasionally run up to 1800 MHz. When I open an app that needs some horse-power, it will jump up to 2400 MHz for a few seconds and then kick back down to 1000 MHz. The frequency change takes place in milliseconds.

This system is nearly silent..... and with Cool n' Quiet, it uses about 1/3 of the electricity as an Intel system that has much lower performance. I just can't get over how quiet it is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
is that the same as hyper threading? (Intel chip)

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
where is your antivirus software??????

that board has two nic's    sweeeeeet.    

congrats on your purchase!!!  you have a excellent setup
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks man!

I don't use installed anti-virus. Never have. If I want to do a virus scan, I'll use an online virus scanner.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't know your knowlege of computers the internet, etc.  But I highly advise against that.  I repair computers all day long that are full of virus's.  alot of the customers here recently have been suprised that i have found virus's and trojans on there computer.   its is my understanding that most of the online scans do work.. But.  depending on which one your are using its probably using the same definition files over and over!!  you have to delete the downloaded program file and redownload the program to get new definitions.. pic of what im talking about   I could be wrong, but i doubt it

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!

I don't use installed anti-virus. Never have. If I want to do a virus scan, I'll use an online virus scanner.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, I would love to have a dual core.......... I'll just settle with my 3.2(HT) P4
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]
what did you do with your old one ?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
get AVG free antivirus.  made by Grisoft - it doesnt bog my system down nearly as much as norton

besides...its not like you dont have room to lose performance anyways.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This thing is sweeeeeeet!!!! Dual-core is da bomb! I can burn DVD's and play games at the same time. There is no such thing as "bogging down" anymore.

members.roadfly.com/agent7/dual_core_desktop.jpg

Welcome to 1995.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Now all you need is a stable, reliable operating system and you're good to go!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now all you need is a stable, reliable operating system and you're good to go!  

*school girl giggle*
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Now, do that, AND Hyperthreading, and you'll have 4 CPUs.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that board heas two nic's    sweeeeeet.    

Thanks man!

Sweet system, should I im you my address so you can mail it to me?

I agree. I have never used installed anti-virus software. Viruses just can't walk in, you need to know where to close them off and you don't need it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't get too excited. If any of your programs screws around with thread affinity or even fires off too many threads, that dual core system can bog down like an old XT.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
is that the same as hyper threading? (Intel chip)

no, very different.  hyper threading is still one processor doing processing, but includes an extra ALU (arithmatic logic unit).  dual core actually has 2 full processors to process jobs.

much faster.  intel makes dual cores as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
dont' you use linux?  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!

I agree. I have never used installed anti-virus software. Viruses just can't walk in, you need to know where to close them off and you don't need it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

members.roadfly.com/agent7/dual_core_desktop.jpg

Amateurs... We've had this technology in our High availability machines, physical dual, multi processors. Although, the introduction of dual core to consumers are a great benefit to hardcore gamers and end users. Glad to hear someone like you put the thing to good use.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I just purchased for my wife an HP Media Center.  It has a Pentium D, which is dual core 2.8 ghz processor.  It is amazingly fast.  Word, Adobe, Netscape, which used to take so long to open are nearly instantaneous.  

My wife had complained that Norton was not scanning for viruses on the Word docs... So, I opened one really huge one I have with lots of pictures.  In the bottom left, it was just a flicker, but it did say Scanning ... and bang!  It opened.  Apparently it is so fast that you can't see the notification.

Dual Core is not the same as hyperthreading.  Dual core is literally two chips stacked, and they do parallel processing.  With dual core AND hyperthreading you had better buckle your seatbelts and put up your tray table, and seat in the upright position!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Y'all think that's kick ass in a desktop?  We (Dell) have a quad proc server that will support four dual core hyperthreaded CPUs.  Effectively about 16 CPUs in one machine.  Yeah, the dual core architecture will be faster than hyperthreading alone, but add the two, and you'll have some horsepower.  

Add the 32GB RAM that box will support, run some fiberchannel storage off of it, and you have a kick ass database server.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
dont' you use linux?  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!

Some, but not for everyday stuff. I need Windows for that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Anandtech: Athlon Dual Core vs. Pentium Dual Core

Link to review

"Not only are there significant advantages in single threaded games, but everything from encoding to the multitasking tests put the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ ahead of its Pentium D counterpart."

"Although they aren't pictured here (for space reasons), you'll see in the coming pages that there is only one benchmark where Intel ends up ahead.  The Roxio VideoWave test in PCWorld's WorldBench 5 suite completes 6 seconds quicker on the Pentium D 830 than on the Athlon 64 X2 3800+.  That is one loss out of 31 total benchmarks for the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (once again, not all pictured here, but you'll see them on the coming pages)."  

"The victory is clear and without debate, at the $300 - $400 price point, the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is the dual core processor to get."

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#27]
On Intel Hyperthreading and 64-Bit:

From AnandTech:

Link

Amazingly, Hyperthreading decreases performance by quite a bit. This leads to a rather weird conclusion. If you want maximum MySQL (Read) performance from your Xeon server, you have to disable Hyperthreading and run in 32 bit mode. The former is of course not dramatic. The latter might, in some cases, be a serious limitation.

This is really remarkable, as the Xeon does not benefit from 64 bit at all. Worse, a 10% performance penalty is paid for moving over to 64 bit. The Opteron, however, thrives on 64 bit and gets a 30% boost from 64 bit.

According to our research, we can assume that the 64 bit implementation of the new Xeon is simply not as powerful as the Opteron's. Intel has some catching up to do, especially when you look at the dual core Opterons. We already discussed AMD's elegant dual core architecture in detail, but in this review, we have seen very good indications that the design with the two cores connected by the SRQ does improve performance in real world applications and not only in our cache-to-cache tests.

This architecture together with AMD being six months ahead with their dual core server product gives AMD significant advantages in the server market today.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#28]
If your buying xeons, you can afford a dual socket motherboard, and a 2nd xeon.  nuf' said.

Quoted:
On Intel Hyperthreading and 64-Bit:

From AnandTech:

Link

Amazingly, Hyperthreading decreases performance by quite a bit. This leads to a rather weird conclusion. If you want maximum MySQL (Read) performance from your Xeon server, you have to disable Hyperthreading and run in 32 bit mode. The former is of course not dramatic. The latter might, in some cases, be a serious limitation.

This is really remarkable, as the Xeon does not benefit from 64 bit at all. Worse, a 10% performance penalty is paid for moving over to 64 bit. The Opteron, however, thrives on 64 bit and gets a 30% boost from 64 bit.

According to our research, we can assume that the 64 bit implementation of the new Xeon is simply not as powerful as the Opteron's. Intel has some catching up to do, especially when you look at the dual core Opterons. We already discussed AMD's elegant dual core architecture in detail, but in this review, we have seen very good indications that the design with the two cores connected by the SRQ does improve performance in real world applications and not only in our cache-to-cache tests.

This architecture together with AMD being six months ahead with their dual core server product gives AMD significant advantages in the server market today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top