Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/13/2005 8:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2005 8:29:06 AM EDT by yellowjacket]
See text from ATF letter received today: (Click here) for link to letter on ATF's website.)

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Assistant Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington, DC 20226

www.atf.gov

July 13, 2005

OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST ARTICLES

The purpose of this open letter is to provide important information to importers concerning the lawful importation of certain frames, receivers and barrels.

Importation of Frames, Receivers or Barrels of Firearms Under Title 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3)

Section 925(d) provides standards for the importation of firearms and ammunition into the United States. In particular, section 925(d)(3) provides that the Attorney General shall authorize a firearm to be imported if it meets several conditions: (1) it is not defined as a firearm under the National Firearms Act (NFA); (2) it is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes; and (3) it is not a surplus military firearm. However, the subsection further provides that “in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that the language of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) permits no exceptions that would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise non-importable firearms to be imported into the United States. Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed.

ATF recognizes that importers have, in the past, obtained import permits authorizing the importation of barrels and receivers for non-importable firearms for "repair or replacement" and may have entered into contracts in reliance upon such authorizations. In order to mitigate the impact of ATF’s change in import policy and to allow importers a reasonable period to come into compliance, ATF will forgo enforcement of this import restriction for 60 calendar days and allow importers holding existing permits to continue to import barrels and receivers for a period of 60 calendar days. ATF believes this time period is adequate for importers who have entered into binding contracts for the sale and shipment of such barrels and receivers to complete the process of importing the items into the United States. ATF will advise Customs and Border Protection that in no event should these permits be accepted to release these items for entry into the United States after September 10, 2005.

Importers are reminded that ATF previously approved permits for non-importable barrels and receivers for repair or replacement only, and this restriction was stamped on the face of the permit. Importers who import such components for any purpose other than repair or replacement of existing firearms, e.g., for assembly into new firearms, will be exceeding the scope of the import authorization in violation of law. If ATF determines, through inspection or otherwise, that an importer willfully violates the import provisions of the GCA, the importer's license is subject to revocation pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 923(e).

Importers holding approved import permits for non-importable barrels and receivers will receive a letter prior to September 10, 2005, advising them that their permit has been suspended.
This determination affects importers as follows:

IF YOU SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS ON OR AFTER THE DATE OF THIS LETTER, AND THE PERMIT IS FOR NONSPORTING FIREARMS, SURPLUS MILITARY FIREARMS, OR NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS, ATF WILL DENY YOUR APPLICATION.
IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS THAT HAS NOT YET BEEN DENIED OR APPROVED BY ATF AND THE PERMIT IS FOR NONSPORTING FIREARMS, SURPLUS MILITARY FIREARMS OR NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS, ATF WILL DENY YOUR APPLICATION.
IF YOU ALREADY HOLD AN APPROVED PERMIT TO IMPORT FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND BARRELS “FOR REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT,” ATF WILL BE SENDING YOU A LETTER EXPLAINING THAT YOUR PERMIT WILL BE SUSPENDED AFTER SEPTEMBER 10, 2005, AND PROVIDING YOU WITH INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR RIGHT TO SUBMIT ARGUMENTS WHY YOUR PERMIT SHOULD NOT BE REVOKED.
Maintaining open lines of communication is vital to the successful future of ATF’s partnership with the import community. The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch staff is available to answer your questions about the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach us by phone at 202-927-8320 or by fax at 202-927-2697. Additional information regarding this issue will be provided on our Website at www.atf.gov.

Sincerely yours,

Lewis P Raden
Assistant Director
(Enforcement Programs and Services)

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:27:38 AM EDT
Didn't read it because it doesn't matter how they interpret the law or determine its meaning to be because there job it to enforce it. It's a judges job to interpret.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:29:08 AM EDT
No more milsurp?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:30:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HighCaliber:
Didn't read it because it doesn't matter how they interpret the law or determine its meaning to be because there job it to enforce it. It's a judges job to interpret.

You want to be the first one to test them in court?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:31:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
No more milsurp?

You got it!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:32:54 AM EDT
i take it no more AK kits, Fal kits and stuff like that.

Ronald
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:34:01 AM EDT
the ATF abusing it's position as usual I see.......

assholes
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
Let's see how 2A friendly Gonzalez is....

Oh.. wait... he is for illegals, not for citizens.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:39:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By yellowjacket:

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
No more milsurp?

You got it!!!

It goes way beyond milsurp. For example AKs cannot be imported...the new ruling means no more AK receivers or barrels can be imported. When this first took effect there was a clause that said those items could be imported for repair of existing firearms. The new ruling eliminates that clause. So no more AK, FAL...ect parts kits.

Thank you President Bush and your new attorney general!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:40:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:
the ATF abusing it's position as usual I see.......

assholes

It comes from the top down. This just further confirms what we already knew about Alberto Gonzales! Bush better pick someone else for the USSC.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:46:27 AM EDT
well guess this puts all the rumors to rest about that.........my guess is the next thing they will put a halt to importation is ammunition, ie. 7.62x39, 5.45, milsurplus 5.56, 7.62x51 etc... etc.. etc...
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:49:14 AM EDT
If the "sporting use" clause gets thrown out then this "opinion" from the ATF won't matter.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:49:19 AM EDT
Not to worry. Jorge and Alberto are with us. THEY'LL set things right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:49:48 AM EDT
I want to see the statute enabling this restriction on free trade.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:53:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
If the "sporting use" clause gets thrown out then this "opinion" from the ATF won't matter.

Right....like that's actually going to happen. Congress abolishing 922 is like Michael Moore taking back everything he's ever said and appologizing for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:58:33 AM EDT
man...get 'em while the gettin's good guys!!!

it's for the fucking kids, right?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:01:26 AM EDT
Even more of a reason to call and get HR 1703 approved.

DO IT!

Ben
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:01:36 AM EDT
Motherf*ckers.

American Made AKs and FALs?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:03:33 AM EDT
This doesn't stop us from making them here in the USA does it?

As I read it, just no more importing.

So I suppose if a guy wants a AK, you gotta get a made in the USA version.

Prices will go up, but I suppose quality will to if they are made here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:07:17 AM EDT
That is what i am thinking, but this is just another slice off the freedom salami.

They are going to slooooowly take them away unless we take a stand now and say no more. No goddamn law on the books will stop violence. Gun Laws doubly so, because we can no longer STOP violence.

This needs to STOP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:08:51 AM EDT
Welp I waited to long to get an AK. No more Bulgarian Beauties.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:09:18 AM EDT
I am curious what percent of the parts on ar's are made abroad. Are all the milled, cast, ect parts made here are are most of them made elsewhere. supply and demand will intervien at some point - but as prices become higher, our numbers will diminish as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:12:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mousehunter:
I am curious what percent of the parts on ar's are made abroad. Are all the milled, cast, ect parts made here are are most of them made elsewhere. supply and demand will intervien at some point - but as prices become higher, our numbers will diminish as well.

Well AK's will be harder to get and more expensive more people will look to ARs.

The issue here is barrels and recievers. Recievers are not the problem as many good ones are made here. Chrome lined AK barrels are a serious issue now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:14:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

you can still get them but the prices for the kits will start inching up then skyrocketing as the feeding frenzy begins and the profiteering kicks in...
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:15:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:

Originally Posted By FredM:

you can still get them but the prices for the kits will start inching up then skyrocketing as the feeding frenzy begins and the profiteering kicks in...

Thats what I mean. I can still get an MP5 or a M16 too, not gonna though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:17:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cableman:
This doesn't stop us from making them here in the USA does it?

As I read it, just no more importing.

So I suppose if a guy wants a AK, you gotta get a made in the USA version.

Prices will go up, but I suppose quality will to if they are made here.

Yeah you can still make them here...but most of the "US Made" AKs still use imported barrels. Do you know of anyone that is making AK barrels here in the US? There is no guarantee quality would go increase.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:18:49 AM EDT
I am a 1919A4 fan, this really kicks us in the *****.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:

Oh.. wait... he is for illegals, not for citizens.

Yep, and a lot of folks on ARFCOM criticized John Ashcroft for not being 2nd Amend friendly. Gonzalez is definitely not close to Ashcroft. The old saying of be careful of what you wish for, because it may just come true.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:46:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2005 9:50:11 AM EDT by BSOG1]
this is just such fuckin bullshit.
isnt there 1000 more things to be worried about here in the u.s.

and what if they imported barrels for sar-1's. those as of now are importable rifles.
arent they???

they just keep kickin us tax paying law biding citizens in the face every day.
while 1000's of illegals cross the border every day, with no regard for LAW.

dont worry ill keep working so i can pay my healthcare and taxes.

and who says they wont say you cant build barrels and recievers for non- importable rifles
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:50:01 AM EDT
Good, now we can finally stop those imported bullet hoses from flooding the streets. I will definately sleep easier knowing my kids are safe because of this ruling... I mean law... I mean opinion.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:50:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BSOG1:
this is just such fuckin bullshit.
isnt there 1000 more things to be worried about here in the u.s.

and what if they imported barrels for sar-1's. those as of now are importable rifles.
arent they???

they just keep kickin us tax paying law biding citizens in the face every day.
while 1000's of illegals cross the border every day, with no regard for LAW.

dont worry ill keep working so i can pay my healthcare and taxes.

wrong agency. the batfe are the political brownshirts of the democrat party. their raison d'etre is to erode our 2a rights to the point of impracticality and uselessness. so, guys will keep saying "well, it's not my gun they're banning" or "well, we can get u.s. barrels" until it comes down to "what are 'guns'???"
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:50:26 AM EDT
OK guys here the short shrift of it. I figured out the legalese!! This will NOT prevent importers from getting Milsurp kits!! This is basically a WARNING LETTER!! according to the law it states that these part kits are for replacement ONLY, no building a new gun from scratch. But lets fact it, open up shotgun news and you can see many "new" guns like krinkov AK's etc. made from parts kits. Technically this is illegal. If i buy a new receiver (us made) i cannot put a krinkov parts kit on it to make a new gun. But if i own a SAR-1 i can "replace" the parts with a Krinkov. So basically they are saying "cut it out!" followed up by a warning to suspend your liscence if you continue to do so. At least that is what i got from the letter, anyone care to correct anything i got wrong?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:50:58 AM EDT
Bad news, on the other hand it will open opportunities for American Manufacteurs. Although prices will go up, but so will quality.
Does this law mean we won't be able to buy any of Mitchel's Mausers?, guess not.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:55:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:

He's NOT!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2005 10:00:26 AM EDT by mobius]

Originally Posted By t-stox:
OK guys here the short shrift of it. I figured out the legalese!! This will NOT prevent importers from getting Milsurp kits!! This is basically a WARNING LETTER!! according to the law it states that these part kits are for replacement ONLY, no building a new gun from scratch.

that's not the way I read it.......

"Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed."

to me it sounds like they are closing that loophole that allowed parts kit to be imported......for any reason
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:59:03 AM EDT
So more jobs for Americans?

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:01:48 AM EDT
so how does one prove he/she is importing for replacement purposes.

and who says they cant say -- no more manufacturing barrels or recievers for non-importable rifles.

now i have to get that para congo and ak krink

this is bullshit
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:02:10 AM EDT

OK guys here the short shrift of it. I figured out the legalese!! This will NOT prevent importers from getting Milsurp kits!! This is basically a WARNING LETTER!! according to the law it states that these part kits are for replacement ONLY, no building a new gun from scratch. But lets fact it, open up shotgun news and you can see many "new" guns like krinkov AK's etc. made from parts kits. Technically this is illegal. If i buy a new receiver (us made) i cannot put a krinkov parts kit on it to make a new gun. But if i own a SAR-1 i can "replace" the parts with a Krinkov. So basically they are saying "cut it out!" followed up by a warning to suspend your liscence if you continue to do so. At least that is what i got from the letter, anyone care to correct anything i got wrong?

You are incorrect. Read this part again

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that the language of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) permits no exceptions that would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise non-importable firearms to be imported into the United States. Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed.

The "statutory language" does not list "repair or replacement" so what this letter is saying is that the exemption which was previously used is no long valid. They are slamming the door shut on all foreign barrels and recievers of "non-sporting" firearms.

Here is 18 U.S.C. 925(d)(3)
(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a
firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue
Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable
for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus
military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General
has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to
this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame,
receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if
assembled
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:04:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
So more jobs for Americans?

yeah OK, if you want to pay 400 bucks for a AK barrel, that in all probability will be just as out of spec and be as inferior to the forign barrels, just as US trigger parts and receivers are.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:07:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2005 10:09:15 AM EDT by Grunteled]
This can't be right? Republicans hold all the power in Washington! This can not happen with republicans in office!

I imagine someone will eventually license and produce the desing domestically, AKs especially I'd think. After the ass-rape starts on AK prices surely someone will see an oppertunity. Fuck Alberto, I didn't like him from day one. Anyone who honestly didn't see this coming had their head up their ass though.

Glad I got my FAL ordered this year.

ETA: Still think the 'Sporting clause' is not a big deal to get tossed?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:07:58 AM EDT

OK guys here the short shrift of it. I figured out the legalese!! This will NOT prevent importers from getting Milsurp kits!! This is basically a WARNING LETTER!! according to the law it states that these part kits are for replacement ONLY, no building a new gun from scratch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed."

to me it sounds like they are closing that loophole that allowed parts kit to be imported......for any reason

MY BAD! I finnally figured it out, this will essentially ban barrels and recievers. NOT actual "parts" meaning triggers, bolts, etc. So basically you'll have to go with US barrels and Receivers. So when you now get a parts kit it will be minus the receiver AND barrel. Woop-dee-do! most milsurp barrels are rust tubes anyway! though i still think it stinks! Except for Krinkovs i don't see this as really affecting anything that much, never mind that we also have a 2 month extension. So all you krink builders out there get workin'.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:08:16 AM EDT
Yeah, this isn't a warning letter. All existing permits expire in 60 days and any future permits will be denied.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:18:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2005 10:20:45 AM EDT by mobius]

[. So when you now get a parts kit it will be minus the receiver AND barrel. Woop-dee-do! most milsurp barrels are rust tubes anyway!

those so call "rust tubes" you say, will probably be more better then the US barrels that will be coming out.......apparently you never had a rifle built on US made receivers of foreign design, AK, FAL etc..........not one company can even make those correctly or of the right material. what makes you think they will be able to make a true replacement barrel with the right .310 barrel, for a AK. man they can't even make a decent AK trigger group that doesn't cost 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:26:49 AM EDT

MY BAD! I finnally figured it out, this will essentially ban barrels and recievers. NOT actual "parts" meaning triggers, bolts, etc. So basically you'll have to go with US barrels and Receivers. So when you now get a parts kit it will be minus the receiver AND barrel. Woop-dee-do! most milsurp barrels are rust tubes anyway! though i still think it stinks! Except for Krinkovs i don't see this as really affecting anything that much, never mind that we also have a 2 month extension. So all you krink builders out there get workin'.

Your attitude is waaaaaay too happy for this thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:28:20 AM EDT
For all of you who are frustrated over this go here to see how we are trying to getting them to repeal the "sporting" clause.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=351089
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:35:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mobius:

[. So when you now get a parts kit it will be minus the receiver AND barrel. Woop-dee-do! most milsurp barrels are rust tubes anyway!

those so call "rust tubes" you say, will probably be more better then the US barrels that will be coming out.......apparently you never had a rifle built on US made receivers of foreign design, AK, FAL etc..........not one company can even make those correctly or of the right material. what makes you think they will be able to make a true replacement barrel with the right .310 barrel, for a AK. man they can't even make a decent AK trigger group that doesn't cost 100 bucks.

Supply / Demand - Not instantly but why would anyone make what can be so cheaply imported? It's not a certainty but I assume that people will step up to meet demand and if everything else is crap then you certainly can make a name by producing better-than-crap.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:45:06 AM EDT
This only applies to non-sporting weapons though. Arsenal Inc. I believe imports complete rifles from Bulgaria with mag wells only able to take 10 round magazines. Then when the rifles arrive in the US they add compliance parts needed to legally convert the magwell to take normal magazines.

It'll raise the cost but i'm sure pretty much anything will still be importable one way or another.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
The ATF is a bunch of gun grabbin JBT assholes.

Time is almost nigh for the tree of liberty to get refreshed
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:10:35 AM EDT
no more CETMEs =(
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:58:19 AM EDT
Copied from another board, with this signature pic.

http://www.azexarms.com/Wscrape/Wscrape5.jpg

"There I was, happily drinking my Kool-Aid..."

...and this ****-Loving greasy piece of ****, named Gonzales who just happens to be the AG, knocks my cup from my hand.

I'VE ****ING HAD IT! MY EYES ARE NOW OPEN!

Anyone with any memory (I know that they fade over time) can recall the eerie similarity between this latest Bush-administered butt****ing by one of his lackies and the one his DADDY did to us back in 1989.

When a Bush gets comfy, he ****s his base. In this case he's used a useless ***** ***k-lover who is helping to facilitate the next terror attack as well as send our National Soveriegnty down the river like an uppity slave, by ignoring our border issues and making excuses for the Lawbreakers.

I predict some angry gun owners going to the polls "en masse" like we did in 1994, unfortunately for the GOP, the party who "takes from your front pocket while sticking it in the back door" I don't think that they will come out so good this time.

I don't know what makes me more angry. That the ATF/DOJ followed a Klintoonian edict to "re-interpret" existing EO to include certain components, or that the mother****ing ASSHOLES at the ATF LIED IN OUR FACES about it for the last two weeks.

Personally, This may turn out to be a boon. US made bbls and receivers, made to MY exacting standards will surely make me some money.

But this isn't about Profit, this is about Principle. And my Principles have had about enough of Bush and his lackeys as they can stand.

D.
AZEX

PS. I've not forgotten the facilitators of the FIRST 89 ban. So a hearty **** YOU to Bill Bennett (You Gambling Junkie **********), AND Barbara Bush (You googly-eyed old hag)

Someone told me I should be thankful for the 89 ban as my biz wouldnt exist without it. I said "I'd rather have 800 dollar new production HK91/93/94, Galils, Uzis, FALs, Sig 55x's and work in a cubicle, it's about Freedom"

(For those of you who don't know, Gonzo the ***k, the USAG, has just implemented a new policy, following a "re-interpretation" request from 2000 by Klintler, which denies all new Form 6s (Import forms) and cancels all pending Form 6s (Importers who are backordered, like TDW's Imbel recievers) and prohibits new FAL receivers, new FAL, HK, AK, etc.. etc... parts kits from being imported WITH BARRELS. So, No more barrels, no more FAL receivers.)
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
Gonzalas and the ATF are a bunch of cocksuckers.

Where's that old drawing of the ATF agent kicking in a door with a swastika on his boot?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top