Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2001 8:10:55 PM EDT
I just watched the north hollywood bank robbery shoot out on tv. I have also been made well aware by my friends, family and GF that my black rifle is - evil. Good thing the GF understands it is a package deal.

Anyway I got to thinking - which is the least pc of the bunch?

AK has the name.

AR and FAL have the 'look'.

What is your opinion?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the AK-47 has both the name and the look.  Most Americans associate the AK with communism, and we all know how "evil" that was/is.  

I think it all comes with association.  I would guess most Americans are used to seeing the M-16/AR-15.  It is still an intiminating sight, but the friendly US military uses it.  So it has to be ok, but only for the military???-- ya right!

The FAL is somewhat more unknown and not widely seen or recognized by the average American.  Yes it is/was used by something like 70+ countries, but it didn't grab headlines like the AK.  Possibly because we didn't fight a major conflict against it?

This brings up another thing.  I seriously want to thank all the current military personal and the vets.  Way to go!!

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
AK, hands down...for the "communism" reason.
Besides, if you look at movies/TV, the good guys [i]occasionally[/i] use AR15's, but more importantly an AK-47 is held and used by a bad gauy 99% of the time.  Only thing I can think off otherwise was in Goldeneye, where Bond actually picked up a Russian soldier's AK and used it for all of 30 seconds.

All feel-good happy-go-lucky American propoganda, if you ask me.
Just waiting for the next street-smart TV cop to wail away with an AK-47, just to apease me.  Heh, like THAT'LL happen.
(Oh, I fired an AK-[b]74[/b] today along with my DE...man that is a wicked looking bullet, that thing would tumble inside of you and tunnel like a snake).

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I need an AK-74 now?  Sure would be ashame if the 47's didn't have the evolved partner near by?

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
74's are GREAT, fuatos.  I was impressed with their modest accuracy and easy handling.  If only you could (which maybe you can, who friggin' knows) change out the rear sight system to some type of "peep" setup, that I think could easily out-perform my AR at 200M, simply because it's 300% easier to shoot standing given the lighter weight.

It's a great gun, it was new out of the box too.  It was a Romanian, stamped receiver, and the guy got it for about $190 bucks somewhere in Memphis(?) I believe.  He said, for that price, he bought 2 more that are just sitting inside of the plastic at home - can't say I blame him.  Well worth every penny, I would have to say.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the '74 the 5.45X39 round?  If so, I've seen them and they do look pretty cool.

Now I'm going to have to research this a little more.  Damm, I think I heard my wife yelling at me for thinking about buying another gun...

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
AK 47/74 ect.makes me wonder why I dont have one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The AR and FAL are Great Rifles. At the risk of offending some afficianados, the AK is a piece of cheap commie crap, made for 3d world monkeys who will never give it maintenance. It's good at spray and pray. It'll a take a lickin and keep on tickin as the old Timex commercial used to go...I'll give it that. All 3 rifles are as un-PC as you can get...they are at the top of the UN Burn List, I'm sure, as well as the domestic Quislings like Benedict Arnold Jeffords, the ex-Republican Senator from Vermont.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The '47 is fun and cheap.  Shoot it all day, put it away for awhile, pick it up a couple of months later... shoot it all day, put it away...
I think you get my point.  Those darn things are tough and accurate enough.

Its always interesting to me to see the photos of the US military carrying the M-16's over their heads as they went through the streams, rivers, rice paddy's, etc...  But those darn commie guns were just drug through the mud and water.

Two very different rifles.  Built for the same thing, punching holes in flesh, but for two different ideologies.  I think its great we(AR-15's and AK's) can all get along these days...

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm not sure, but the most PC would have to be the AK, because AK = communism = PC (well, at least in California, where I'm stuck)
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Skunkabilly,

I'm sorry!  I left California in '89, not a moment too soon.  As a matter of fact, I'm going there in a couple of days to rescue my folks.  Dad finally retired and wants to return to his roots.  

I sure wish I could fly my evil rifles with me for security on the long drive back.

Good luck with your endevors in KAL.  May it someday return to the sunshine state???  

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
All of the above are non-PC.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
"AK 47, when you absolutely, positively got-sta kill every last mutha fucka in da room."

Ordel (Sammuel L. Jackson) - Jackie Brown
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuatos: yes, the AK-74 is the 5.45x39mm round you saw.  And yes, the bullet on those are quite wicked - almost looked like they took a .270 and just shaved some of the circumference off of it.  It was a good thrill to shoot though, a well-worth $190 to shoot at least [:)].

But it wasn't crap compared to that .44DE - good Lord...and that thing is probably AS accurate at 200 yards!!!

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Its always interesting to me to see the photos of the US military carrying the M-16's over their heads as they went through the streams, rivers, rice paddy's, etc...  But those darn commie guns were just drug through the mud and water.

This somewhat true, but think about the fact that your average AK shoots 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards, while the AR shoots 2 inches max, most shooting well below that. the AK is reliable because its tolerances are crap, the AR is MUCH more finely tuned and can commonly give near sniper grade accuracy, out of the box up to 500-600 yards. More maintenance, but the is a payoff, AK's are made for ignorant 3rd world armies that don't have the sense to clean their own gun. Just look at Sec ops, they can use any gun they want and they use AR family rifles more than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
They are two different rifles.  I am well aware of the accuracy trade off in the AK.--usually in the 2-4" at 100 meters for the common variaty.  Some do a little better.  

Yes the AR will shoot well under the 2 moa. and yes they are built to much tighter tolerances.  

Each rifle was built for two very different cirumstances.  The Russians needed to produce large quantities, at low cost, and for typical poor untrained armys.  This was their objective, in addtion to haveing 30 rounds to spray.  Remember the spray doctrine?  The US migrated to that in the middle of the conflict.

On the other hand, the AR is a finely built weapon.  Tight tolerances, expensive to produce, and I would expect with the free market, produced in large quantities.--Other than a few years ago when Bushmaster and others were so very, very backloged.  Glad to see production is up now!!!

Two very different guns, built for two very different purposes, other than poking holes in people.  

I think the shooting enthusiast is very lucky to have choices.  Especially under vastly different operational conditions.--Remember Desert Storm?

Don't get me wrong, I love my AR's.  I also very much respect my AK's.  In my family, they both fit a very specific niche.

Wow, I can't believe I rambled on so long.  Shoot what you want.  Most important, enjoy.

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#17]
LEAST P.C.:  (in order)

1)  AK
2)  AR-15
3)  FN-FAL

WHY:

1)  Used by commies and L.A. Bank Robbers
2)  American "Gun Nuts" use um
3)  British troops used them in Ireland, and
you know how women love Brits.

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
AK 47,no doubt about it. For all the reasons already listed, but especially because of name recognition alone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#20]
AR'S are the shit. FN'S are 2 cool also, Gotta like the power! AK'S are wicked, you gotta like em.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
EVERYBODY knows the profile of AK, even with non-gun afecianados. There are more of these produced than any other rifle.  I will go with the AK as the least PC, ugly as hell(of course this in the eye of the beholder...), but tough as a junkyard dog.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]

I only have three rifles in my "collection".

1. F.N C2A1 (Heavy barrel, bipod, 30 round mags)
 2. R.P.K.
 3. AR-15 (11 inch barrel....LEGAL in Canada, by the way...ha ha ha!)

Does this make me irretreivably un-PC?

...Or did I just pick the right 3?

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna go for the SKS. It's FULL BORE the gun that Siminov designed, not some "clone" like the AK SR-1.

SKS was used in Nam a great deal. Also used a lot in the USA as a cheap defense gun for political radicals.

Unless it's pre-ban, today's AK is a Klintonated replica of the full-auto, bayo lugged, folding stock gun carried by Usama BinLadin and that ilk.

AR is carried by all the good guys, police, UN peacekeeper troops . . . And the one available to us is Klintonated for the most part. It's semi-auto, no bayo lug, no flash suppressor.

But the AR is the COOLEST looking of them all! And the best shooting.

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say the AK is #1, AR-15 #2, and FAL #3.  This can change if the AR has an underbelly launcher or other odd attachments, if the AK has a thumbhole stock, etc.

I'd like to add that the UZI should probably go somewhere in the top 3; I'd displace the FAL in favor of it.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]
The Scene: Sitting around with a mix of gunowners and non gunowners.

1. You say " I'm gonna go shoot my AR this weekend."
No response.

2. You say " I'm gonna go shoot my FAL this weekend."
No response.

3. You say "I'm gonna go shoot my AK this weekend."
Response: "Well what do you need a AK for you baby killing bastard those are only for killing people blah blah blah."

I agree with prebans, even the antigun morons for the most part don't know what a FAL is. Upon sight it is probably confused with a AR. Everybody knows what a AK is though. The look and the name. So my 3 with #1 being the least pc of the bunch.

1. AK
2. UZI/Tec 9 (tossup)
3. AR
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever scares the shit out of/offends the yuppy soccer moms if OK by me!  The more offensive, the better!  
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#28]
The AK leads, but the AR-15 is closing fast.
One of the reasons is Israeli soldiers seen carrying it against Palestinians.
The FAL is way down on the scale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I like them both!
AK and AR that is.
I'm getting my second AK at the next gunshow if I can find a SAR3 so it can share ammo with the AR. I really like the AK-74 that little 5.45 round moves on! Anybody have any clues on the makup of the powder used in the 5.45? It's almost like a scaled down version of my 22-250.
Bet it's a good critter getter round, got lots of coyotes at my back door!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, Mike, "Uzi" probably wets the pants of the "gunsrevil" pussy crowd more than FAL. I vote that we remove the peaceful, sporting purpose FAL from the list, and give it the Soccer Mom Stamp Of Approval. Do I hear a second on that? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in the shadow of Columbine and the Tec-9 is #1 on people's list here even though it constantly jammed and most of the damage was done with the shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
AR, AK, FAL?

Why not buy 'em all and be as un-PC as you can?  Thats my goal.  If it pisses off the PC crowd, there's at least something good about it.

Of the previously mentioned guns, I'd have to go with the AK, and the Uzi bringing a close second.  Of course, if you really want to blow-out an antigunner's "un-PC" meter, see what they have to say about these...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/002/jL/Yf/rR/uF15846.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Shaggy....You win.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bigun2.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The AK of course.  It just looks nasty.  The design has not changed in 50 years.  Don't get me wrong, I love FAL's and AR's, but if you want to get a reaction out of any gun control nut (from moderate to let's get rid of all of em') just mention the AK.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top