Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2005 8:44:42 PM EDT
Officers seize assault rifle from student in dorm hall

Late Thursday evening, ISU Police seized an AR-15 assault rifle from a student at Buchanan Hall.

Director of Public Safety Jerry Stewart said officers were dispatched after they received a report from a residence official that a student was possibly in possession of a rifle.

The owner of the firearm showed no resistance to officers, and the rifle was not loaded at the time of seizure; however, officers found ammunition in the student's room, he said.

An article from Guns and Ammo Magazine describes the rifle as "more popular today than ever" and being used by both law enforcement officials and military personnel.

According to ISU policy, "Weapons are not permitted on the campus except for purposes of law enforcement and as specially authorized for purposes of instruction, research or service ... weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, tazer or stun gun, bomb grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length."

The rifle has been placed in secure storage and an investigation into whether the gun's owner could face a weapons violation continues, but there will be a residence hall violation, Stewart said.

- Adam Graaf
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]

he should have left it at a friend's house or kept it very hidden and not known to anyone

think he will get it back?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Paging Marksman14...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
And this, folks, is why arowneragain refused to live in the dorms.

Mildly entertaining story:

in college, one of my roomates and myself would often clean/work on/handle firearms while watching TV.

One night we were playing 'dry fire at everybody on tv'.

(Slow night, huh?.....)

Anyhoo, some guy accidentally walks into our apartment - said he was looking for someone else - we lived in a long row of identical apartments, so this was entirely plausible.

Either way, it was priceless to see the look on his face when he walked in and had two .45's pointed at him before he could make a full step into the room.

Nevermind that they weren't loaded at the moment - but the guy never came back!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a similar funny story.  My first night in the college dorms I had the police pounding on my door.  My roommate, a weekend warrior, had "borrowed" a flare from one of their weekend camp-outs.  He launched the flare out the window of our dorm and over the top of another dorm building.  The flare came down slowly by parachute.  The next morning, lots of folks were talking about a UFO they had seen the previous night.

God, those were fun days!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks.  Reminds me of my time at college.

Dorm policy at FSU was no weapons allowed.  If we wanted, we could keep them at the Police Station Armory down the street, which was not too bad, but you just had to wait for the shift supervisor to come in and sign the clipboard.

Of course, that seemed like a load of nonsense to me, so I disregarded that and kept my Mossberg shotty under my bed, until one day the Dorm Manager of Landis Hall comes in and sees 00 Buck shells on my windowsill and asks me why they're there.  I tried to say that they were for my gun at the police station as smoothly as possible, but I was sweating bullets, afraid of expulsion.  He simply said "Oh ok, well you should probably keep your ammo there, too."  That was certainly a close call.

But then an even closer call came around later in the semester.  My friend and I took my shotgun out to the woods to destroy some shit, and then we decided we'd clean it in the dorm room.  We used a giant suitcase to haul it in and out, but on our way back in, we get stopped by Tony, the FSU cop that frequented our dorm.  We had played cards a few times with Tony, so we were cordial, but he was very interested in what was in the big suitcase.  Jokingly, he said "You boys have alcohol in there, huh?  Let me see what's in there..."  Meanwhile someone calls on his radio, also wanting to know what's in our suitcase.  We said we just got back from the woods and we had camping equipment in there.  Tony followed us up to our room, then I stashed the suitcase in my closet and got the fuck out.  He was waiting outside my room, then we start talking about guns, and hypothetically what he would do if he found out someone had a weapon in their room.  He said he didn't care, just don't get caught, so that eased the pressure a little bit.

A couple of years later, we were having dinner at Tony's, when we fessed up that we had a shotty in the suitcase.  He said "Yeah, I figured you had a weapon.  Some other officers were on their way to intercept you guys, but since I knew you, I volunteered and they went ahead and let me confront you ."  Damn I didn't realize how close I was to getting kicked out of school!  Needless to say I thanked the man profusely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Rules are rules, when taking  fire arm into a libtard zone you must use the don't tell, Lee Harvey method, a rool of new drapes or a new rug, or you get busted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a close one at work not at school.  Cop comes in and sees my Glock on my belt.  Tries to give me shit, threatens to arrest me, take my weapon and all kindsa shit.  I occaisonally get rather self destructive and was in that mood at the time,  I skipped over telling him to kiss my ass, but did explain to him that According to Arkansas law I was perfectly within my legal rights to carry a firearm, open or concealed, while at work, and further explained to him that he was on privately owned property and he might want to check up on his Arkansas code before claiming I'm breaking a law when I have 2 seperate ones protecting what I'm doing.  He probably would have gotten away with it had he run me in just to cause me the grief.  But thankfully he had some restraint.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Got a similar funny story.  My first night in the college dorms I had the police pounding on my door.  My roommate, a weekend warrior, had "borrowed" a flare from one of their weekend camp-outs.  He launched the flare out the window of our dorm and over the top of another dorm building.  The flare came down slowly by parachute.  The next morning, lots of folks were talking about a UFO they had seen the previous night.

God, those were fun days!

He's lucky he didn't start a fire with that thing...

Parachute flares are VERY good at lighting things on fire when they come down...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If the dorm is located on school property he could be in some serious shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That is why I love the U of Utah.  I have had guns in class because I am on the Pistol Team.  Someone asks what is in the box marked "Pardini". I usually tell they that it is an expensive hole-punching tool.

Oh yeah, conceal carry on campus?? State legislature says O.K.!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what pisses me off.
Guys down the hall get caught with 2 ounces of weed - they get written up with a $100 fine.
Weed is ILLEGAL for anyone, anywhere.

If I was to get caught with a rifle in my room, which I legally own, as a US citizen over the age of 18, I would be thrown out of school, and maybe even arrested by the town (not University) police.

What is wrong with this picture?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
That's why I still live at home. Although the University PD held onto my rifles for 3 months at one point, while running ATF traces. My car was broken into on an off campus parking lot, and someone else called the cops, since I was in class they couldn't contact me and decided to take them for "safekeeping". Got them back after they finally got the traces right (one rifle took 6 or 7 times I was told), and was told not to keep them in my car.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Becaue you are not a libtard doper would vote for no guns, more weed and government money for under employed (students)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
*Ahem* i know nothing about this type of stuff.... and never had the same problem (abit with a sniper rifle) at a military school...naaaaa.........

i was lucky- he probibly won't be..... it sucks

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Part of me feels bad for the student.

Part of me says, well, he/she was a dumbass.  It was made clear to me when I was in college that firearms weren't even allowed on campus, let alone in the dorms.

This person had no common sense.  Friggin' idiot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]

I went to a college where alcohol and firearms were completely banned. I worked the my dorm's reception desk at night. One fine fall evening my RA came in with several others guys from my floor. The first guy in the door was carryiing about a dozen pheasants, the next guys was carrying four 12-packs of beer. The last 2 guys were carrying everyone's cased shotguns. They smiled at me and invited me up for a beer when I got off duty.Unfortunately the beer was gone by the time I was free. It was only about an hour later

The college had an informal don't ask, don't tell policy among the staff, I didn't ask what was in the gun cases and I didn't tell anyone about the beer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I say,  fuck public education
especially at the University level.
been there..  done that..

myit
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guys down the hall get caught with 2 ounces of weed - they get written up with a $100 fine.

If I was to get caught with a rifle in my room, which I legally own, as a US citizen over the age of 18, I would be thrown out of school, and maybe even arrested by the town (not University) police.

"They" fear you might go bonko and shoot someone.... Duh.

Weed just makes you hungry and laught at shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, that guy is in deep doo-doo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad I went in the Navy instead of college
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
This kinda brings up a point that confuses me no end.... It's pretty well established that the 1st Amendment applies to Gov.... They can't supress your speach, but if you belong to a private orginization or maybe an employer, they can limit what you talk about on their property... (eg - employees can't discuss what they are paid.)

With the 2nd - gov. infringes at every single gov. location in the Country... aside from public ranges/hunting areas etc..
Private property, and private orginisations can also tell you no guns.
and You're most likely gonna run into trouble if you're carrying a firearm anywhere in public (in more areas than not from what I can see.)

So who exactly is it that shall not infringe on the right of the people?
Supposed to be the Feds, right?
And the States via the 14th?

www.webster.com/
Main Entry: in·fringe
1 : to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another

Main Entry: en·croach
1 : to enter by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another
2 : to advance beyond the usual or proper limits

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people

Infringement was not a right delegated to the US gov. ... it IS prohibited to the states via the 14th amendment;
(No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States)

So that leaves "the people" as the only other entity that has any posible right to "infringe"... As is commonly said, you're right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.

It all seems so ludicrously simple that I am furiously confused as to how we ever ended up in the state that we are in.

Disclaimer:
I am a product of the public school sytem, I took no interest in History untill age 30, and no serious interest in the 2nd untill age 35. I don't claim to be extremely bright, but I can't believe that there is any logical answer that can counter /explain away the above..
No other topic ever makes my blood boil like the 2nd does.... grrrr.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#22]
He's probably too emmbarrased to participate in this thread and fill us in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#23]
So it's an ARFCOM member, possibly?  He better not say anything on here until after any investigation is over.  

There's a good reason why non-descript cases exist, from guitar cases to softball bags.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Had a set of practice nunchaku in my room at Texas Tech...

The R.A comes in one evening and tells me to remove them because they are a weapon and in violation of dorm policy. (practice nunchaku are two pieces of heavy foam rubber tied together by a piece of string)

That whole semester we played a game called “What will the R.A. think is a weapon?”

Just so you know, two knotted towels tied together with a shoelace IS a weapon. While two toilet plungers ducktaped together IS NOT a weapon.  Soup can lids that are cut into the shape of throwing stars ARE weapons. Those same lids, uncut but with sharpened edges, ARE NOT weapons. Copper tubing and thumbtacks IS a weapon. Darts and a dartboard IS NOT a weapon.

(We had to spend our freshman year in the dorms back then.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That is why I love the U of Utah.  I have had guns in class because I am on the Pistol Team.  Someone asks what is in the box marked "Pardini". I usually tell they that it is an expensive hole-punching tool.

Oh yeah, conceal carry on campus?? State legislature says O.K.!!!

Matt DeLong is your coach, right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Dumbass.  You don't keep stuff like that on campus.

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#27]
In Finland:
htSilenced CZ-kadet, G17.
Ammo is restricted to 20.000 rounds, thats the law, nothing to do with campus rules. The reloading room is perhaps 100 meters from my apartment, most of the students are in army reserve and part of reserve organizations and some of them own "assault weapons". In two weeks we have hobby-day were different hobbyclubs tell about their activities and recruit new members. That means assault rifles on display in the main lobby of our school. hug.gif We also have an IPSC team...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Even private colleges and universities have rules banning firearms. I went to conservative Bob Jones University in South Carolina and you'd be surprised at the stuff some of the guys had in their cars parked on campus. I wasn't into guns at the time but it was still neat seeing a buddy pull out an AK47 clone from his trunk!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#29]
My record at one time was a 1911 and an FAL (for only a few weeks until my next trip home, it was a stripped reciever ) in the lock box in my desk during sophomore and year. Senior year I got a great deal on a 590A1, talk about sweating bullets trying to get the GIANT box that says "MOSSBERG" on it in big letters into the dorm without anyone seeing me. Luckily I had my own private dorm room that year, it went home hidden in my laundry about a month later.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My fraternity house was a regular armory.  We had so many shotguns and handguns there was always one if needed.  Almost all of them were secured in some manner.

It was no biggy.

TXL

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Does the Navy have guns?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Well first of all how private is this school? Does it receive any money from the state or the feds? If the school is receives any money from the government (even a single penny) than the second amendment applies regardless of school policy and you should be able to have guns there. If the school is 100% private and receives no government funds, than it is a private entity and can make any rules they want and can throw anyone out for any reason, unless of course there are contractual limits (which there would be).

Regardless, the theft of his gun is illegal even if the school is private. All they should be able to do is throw him out or punish him, not steal his weapon. However, I live in a constitutional fantasy land that doesn’t apply to real world totalitarian politics in the USA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#33]
*Looks around at his dorm room*

I don't like this story ONE bit.

There's gonna be some changes this week...

- BG

(By the way, student codes on liberal campuses are generally pretty awful.  Kitchen knives are technically banned here... I even had to bring my Kukri home because people knew I had it.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I was too poor to have an AR15 while in college
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

As was I.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well first of all how private is this school?

Gee, I dunno ... Iowa STATE University?

Does it receive any money from the state or the feds? If the school is receives any money from the government (even a single penny) than the second amendment applies regardless of school policy and you should be able to have guns there. If the school is 100% private and receives no government funds, than it is a private entity and can make any rules they want and can throw anyone out for any reason, unless of course there are contractual limits (which there would be).
This is a ridiculous argument, and completely without merit. First and foremost, it flies in the face of the whole states' rights issue. The state university, regardless of any receipt of Federal funds, is free to make whatever rules it choses, insofar as those rules do not conflict with the sate Constitution.

Regardless, the theft of his gun is illegal even if the school is private. All they should be able to do is throw him out or punish him, not steal his weapon. However, I live in a constitutional fantasy land that doesn’t apply to real world totalitarian politics in the USA.

So, what would you expect them to do? Seize the rifle, and then give it right back on the spot. There is nothing in the story to suggest that the rifle will not be returned to the owner. The owner should receive a reasonable and proper punishment for violating the rule about firearms in dorms, but unless his is prohibited in his state from owning the rifle for some reason, it should be returned to him - off campus - subject to his consent agreement the he won't bring it back to his dorm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Well first of all how private is this school? Does it receive any money from the state or the feds? If the school is receives any money from the government (even a single penny) than the second amendment applies regardless of school policy and you should be able to have guns there.

Does the state house receive government funds? I can walk in there with my M4 then? And expect it returned immediately after secret service takes it, correct?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#38]
My how times change...

I attended Jr College in SE Oklahoma and we had guns everywhere...including the dorms.
It wasn't that big a deal. Many students enrolled in gunsmithing there came and went daily across campus with projects...

We even shot coons and armadillos behing the farm apartment on slow nights...

Hell, I can remember carring my M1 carbine to speech class for use as a prop when I was in eighth grade (AZ) and I am only 41 now...

Even at Montana State University, whenI was there for my masters....trucks in the student parking lots had rifles in the racks....

Guess I'll steer clear of ISU...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#39]
When I was in college (you mean, when dinosaurs roamed the earth?) we left our rifles with the dorm mother.  No problem, she expected us to drop off some venison for her trouble.  We butchered deer hanging them from two trees between the dorms in plain view.  They didn't like us using the shower room, the drains clogged to easily.

How times have changed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I thought everyone in Utah had to have a gun in their residence at all times...isn't it mandatory?

Anyway, I wonder how those tennis ball cannons we used to play with in the dorm hallways are classified?  Someone should make one of those PVC flamethrowers from the thread a while back (but thats probably another incendiary device..like a candle).

Oh Well!

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As was I.

Same here, that's why I had an AK lol...

I never kept it at college, but I do know of a guy that had a Glock 17 with some 17 and 31 round mags in his room. I didn't think he was serious until I saw them lol...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Western Illinois University added the prohibition of "Paint Ball Guns"
to the code of student conduct because of me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I buy the guy is an ARFOMMER, can't wait to hear his side of the story.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the Navy have guns?

Some...I got to play with a Semi-auto M14, a Mossberg 12ga, and carried a Beretta 92f...but of course this was only whie I was on watch or we had a security drill...SRT drills on duty-days were the best part, especially when we had Marines or staff on the boat and they didn't get out of the way
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]

This is a ridiculous argument, and completely without merit. First and foremost, it flies in the face of the whole states' rights issue. The state university, regardless of any receipt of Federal funds, is free to make whatever rules it choses, insofar as those rules do not conflict with the sate Constitution.

Wrong. If tax payers dollars are in play than it is public ground, if a university or any private company doesn’t want to bound by the constitution it must stop being corporate welfare whores. If ANY tax dollars are being used to support an organization than that company becomes a government organization and is bound by the constitution (it can no longer hide behind it being private property).

So, what would you expect them to do? Seize the rifle, and then give it right back on the spot. There is nothing in the story to suggest that the rifle will not be returned to the owner. The owner should receive a reasonable and proper punishment for violating the rule about firearms in dorms, but unless his is prohibited in his state from owning the rifle for some reason, it should be returned to him - off campus - subject to his consent agreement the he won't bring it back to his dorm.

Either toss him and his gun out (Note: that they could only do this if they didn’t receive tax dollars) or make him take the gun off school property, what is so hard about that? At no point should they take his weapon from him without his consent, if they do they are thieves.

Does the state house receive government funds? I can walk in there with my M4 then? And expect it returned immediately after secret service takes it, correct?

You can walk in WITH your M4, the secret service has not right to stop you from keeping it on your persons.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Wrong. If tax payers dollars are in play than it is public ground, if a university or any private company doesn’t want to bound by the constitution it must stop being corporate welfare whores. If ANY tax dollars are being used to support an organization than that company becomes a government organization and is bound by the constitution (it can no longer hide behind it being private property).

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. And wrong.

So GM is a "government organization" along with Boeing, Goodyear, Pratt & Whitney, Staples and any other company that supplies anything the the Federal government? No. Not at all. not even close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The problem is that the weed is illegal.  And you should be able to keep your guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I had my NM M1A and a Browning HP with me in my dorm room. The guy upstairs from me had an AR and a Sig P226. This was 1987 in Auburn.

We did get in trouble for launching firecracker bundles out his window with a wrist rocket tho.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. And wrong.

So GM is a "government organization" along with Boeing, Goodyear, Pratt & Whitney, Staples and any other company that supplies anything the the Federal government? No. Not at all. not even close.

Obviously the government buying products or services doesn’t count. Buying a plane and subsiding a university or bailing out an airline isn’t the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#50]
At FSU, they are pretty strict about a lot of things, we atleast in my dorm anyway (honors dorm). Besides, there are a lot of libtard kids here that would rat me out in a second if I were even try to do anything like that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top