Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 2:41:51 PM EDT
I have a preban M4 and would like to know what the laws are concerning the barrel length.  What is required to have a barrel shorter than 16" on my gun?  I hear you can only put it on a registered machine gun or pistol, but how would you go about doing that?  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a barrel shorter than 16" then you must register it with the BATF and receive a "tax stamp" for it. It is then classified under the NFA (National Firearms Act) as a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle).  The cost is $200.00 and can take about 3-6 months.  If you go to the ATF web site you should be able to download the necessary forms and instructions (I think its form 1, but since its been a long time since I did this I can't recall for sure).  Basically you have to complete the form, have your local Chief of Police or Sheriff sign off on it and get fingerprinted.  Also, if you go to www.subguns.com > Message Boards > NFA Discussions and ask for help those guys are usually happy to answer you questions about applying for a SBR.

One caution.  Do not cut or get a shorter barrel for your rifle before you get the paperwork approved and your "stamp" back from the BATF. Also, bear in mind that the "stamp" is your stamp, not the rifles.  In other words, you could not sell that SBR as an SBR to anyone else.  They would have to have another stamp of thier own first.  Likewise, you cannot take the SBR out of your state of residence without BATF approval first.

Troy is right in that you can have a barrel shorter than 16" if you permanently attach another device such as a muzzle brake on a post-ban to the end of it so that the combined length is 16" or greater.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, if that is the case I will probably just stick to the 16" upper, have the improvements of the extra barrel length.  Someday I would like to go class III, and then I will get my short uppers.  I don't think it is worth the hassle as it stands.  Appreciate the responses!
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy is right in that you can have a barrel shorter than 16" if you permanently attach another device such as a muzzle brake on a post-ban to the end of it so that the combined length is 16" or greater.
View Quote

Can a muzzle brake be permanently attached to a post-ban barrel???

I have a 16" barrel with setscrew holes on the muzzle.

Can I legally permanently (say, by pinning) attach a birdcage to the muzzle to cover the setscrew holes???
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
#1.  Yes. Contact Kurts Kustom through the manufacturers or venders board.

#2.  No. A birdcage is a flash hider. You could get one of the muzzle brakes that looks like a birdcage flash hider though and then mount that one up.

Must be blind pinned then welded or silver soldered.

Give Kurt a call.

Quoted:
Can a muzzle brake be permanently attached to a post-ban barrel???

I have a 16" barrel with setscrew holes on the muzzle.

Can I legally permanently (say, by pinning) attach a birdcage to the muzzle to cover the setscrew holes???
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top