Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:17:49 PM EDT
whats the best way to learn the CAGED system?i cant get it
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]

How have you tried to learn it? It's pretty much self-explanatory. I learned from books many many years ago but now there have to be hundreds if not thousands of free resources online.

Once you learn how to play the C,A,G,E, and D chords in open position, then learn how to play them at higher positions, e.g., the first fret. Then connect them up the fretboard in that order. Say you play a barred C major chord shape at the third fret. Your pinky finger is on the 6th fret of the fifth string, which is the root. This is E flat, and that is the chord you are playing. Now move up and play a barred A chord shape using that E flat 6th fret/fifth string as the root. You are still playing an E flat major chord but in the A shape. It goes up from there for G, E, and D shapes. Then each chord shape has its own box of major scale notes.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
don`t......  

some people it just clicks with,others nada...

pm me if ya need help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How have you tried to learn it? It's pretty much self-explanatory. I learned from books many many years ago but now there have to be hundreds if not thousands of free resources online.

View Quote

yea youtube has several.still don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Chords? What the fuck are chords for?

I'm just a lowly self-taught 4-stringer, don't mind me
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been playing for 20 years, I've never heard of the CAGED system. After googling it looks like crap to me

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on this and other threads, you seem to lack the self-discipline necessary to get anywhere on guitar.

It's like you try something for about nine seconds, can't do it, and give up.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Based on this and other threads, you seem to lack the self-discipline necessary to get anywhere on guitar.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

try 20 years off and on. why so harsh? just tryin to learn something new.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been playing for most of my life, and I've never heard of it.

Disclaimer: I enjoy playing, but I don't really geek out on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It never worked out for me.  I do it the way the old-timers did.  I stick to flat picking open chords for that full guitar sound and when I have to switch to lead I'll go with barre chords primarily on the top three strings.  Once you learn the three basic chord family shapes it gets very easy up the neck.  I don't know what that method is called.  

Oh, and the Nashville Numbers.  That's a biggie in my world.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It never worked out for me.  I do it the way the old-timers did.  I stick to flat picking open chords for that full guitar sound and when I have to switch to lead I'll go with barre chords primarily on the top three strings.  Once you learn the three basic chord family shapes it gets very easy up the neck.  I don't know what that method is called.  

Oh, and the Nashville Numbers.  That's a biggie in my world.  
View Quote

yep this has been the way I play too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a music forum.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 years and you still can't play well? I'm sorry man, I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you really wanted to learn, you would have gone out and done it by now. Get some lessons and set aside time every day for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top