Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 8:33:54 AM EDT
I am working on a Wedding video for a friend and no matter how I encode and author the final video, It looks all grainy and fuzzy on the TV.  If I play the disc in the computer, it looks fine.  I have been using Ulead Media studio 7 and Nero 6.6.  I rip and reauthor movies all the time and they play fine.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an interlacing problem.

How to solve it, I don't know, but I've seen interlacing problems that seem to mirror what you're describing.

/long and wordy "bump"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What resolution are you recording it in?

Televsion is 720x480 IIRC.

I am burning NTSC 720X480, Tell me more about interlacing?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't help you myself, but have you tried any of these sites?

www.dvdrhelp.com/
www.cdrlabs.com/
www.doom9.org/
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Try playing it back on a differnt stand alone dvd player.

How old is your dvd player? Certain makes and models can be awful fussy about playback with regards to format and even the actual manufacturers disc media used.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Your description of the problem isn't really specific enough for me to tell you what is going wrong.  However....

If your software will allow you, try reversing the interpolation of the fields.  If you're currently burning it upper-field first, change it to lower-field first and vice-versa.

Make sure the resolution of your final movie is 720x480 and not something smaller.

Are you burning an MPEG-1 video for DVD?  MPEG-1 comes out looking like a crappy VHS dub.  Make sure you're encoding your material for the DVD program as MPEG-2.

Can you describe the "fuzziness" more clearly?  (No pun intended.) hinking.gif

How was the original footage recorded?  Digital? VHS? Hi-8?  Are you working with footage straight from tape, or are you using MPEGs or video compressed for web viewing?  Stuff to think about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your description of the problem isn't really specific enough for me to tell you what is going wrong.  However....

If your software will allow you, try reversing the interpolation of the fields.  If you're currently burning it upper-field first, change it to lower-field first and vice-versa.

Make sure the resolution of your final movie is 720x480 and not something smaller.

Are you burning an MPEG-1 video for DVD?  MPEG-1 comes out looking like a crappy VHS dub.  Make sure you're encoding your material for the DVD program as MPEG-2.

Can you describe the "fuzziness" more clearly?  (No pun intended.)

How was the original footage recorded?  Digital? VHS? Hi-8?  Are you working with footage straight from tape, or are you using MPEGs or video compressed for web viewing?  Stuff to think
about.

Origional was shot on Mini DV and sent via firewire to PC as AVI.  I am encoding  Mpeg2 at 720x480.  The "Fuzzyness" can best be described as grainy picture with the color darker than usual and looks poorly compressed.  This is on TV though, when played as a dvd on PC it looks good.  Audio was not effected.  My dvd player is a Toshiba and is only about 2 years old, and like movies that I burn on the same media.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top