Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT
Seeing the ARFCOM Thread of the Year inspires a new "yearly" token of appreciation.

I nominate: Diesel06

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
MarkM
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seeing the ARFCOM Thread of the Year inspires a new "yearly" token of appreciation.

I nominate: Diesel06

Good one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
+ 1 on Diesel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I nominate myself, for I am the pinnacle of success in everything I do or think of doing.

EDIT. That obviously includes narcissism.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+ 1 on Diesel.

Can someone fill me in on this? I've seen his name posted a couple times recently.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
MarkM

+87!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't know  this place had members of the year
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll just get it out of the way and nominate Sarge
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#10]
FOX
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
FOX

it was FOX-  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+ 1 on Diesel.

Can someone fill me in on this? I've seen his name posted a couple times recently.

This is Diesel06:

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (May 6, 2004) -- Marine Capt. Brian R. Chontosh received the Navy Cross Medal from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, during an awards ceremony Thursday at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Three other Marines received medals for valor at the same ceremony.

Chontosh, 29, from Rochester, N.Y. , received the naval service's second highest award for extraordinary heroism while serving as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom March 25, 2003. The Medal of Honor is the highest military award.

While leading his platoon north on Highway 1 toward Ad Diwaniyah, Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons fire. With coalitions tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone.

He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, Chontosh ordered the driver to advanced directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy.

He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack.

When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers.

When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others.

"They are the reflection of the Marine Corps type who's service to the Marine Corps and country is held above their own safety and lives," said Gen. Hagee, commenting on the four Marines who received medals during the ceremony. "I'm proud to be here awarding the second highest and third highest awards for bravery to these great Marines."

"These four Marines are a reflection of every Marine and sailor in this great battalion," said Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada.

"I was just doing my job, I did the same thing every other Marine would have done, it was just a passion and love for my Marines, the experience put a lot into perspective," said Chontosh.

In effect since April 1917, and established by an Act of Congress on Feb. 4, 1919, the Navy Cross may be awarded to any person who, while serving with the Navy or Marine Corps, distinguishes himself/herself in action by extraordinary heroism not justifying an award of the Medal of Honor.

The action must take place under one of three circumstances: while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or, while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
To earn a Navy Cross the act to be commended must be performed in the presence of great danger or at great personal risk and must be performed in such a manner as to render the individual highly conspicuous among others of equal grade, rate, experience, or position of responsibility.

More than 6,000 Navy Crosses have been awarded since World War I.

The Citation itself:

The President of the United States
Takes Pleasure in Presenting
The Navy Cross
To

Brian R. Chontosh
First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following

Citation:
For extraordinary heroism as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 25 March 2003. While leading his platoon north on Highway I toward Ad Diwaniyah, First Lieutenant Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and automatic weapons fire. With coalition tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone. He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, First Lieutenant Chontosh ordered the driver to advance directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy. He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, First Lieutenant Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack. When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, First Lieutenant Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers. When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+ 1 on Diesel.

Put on a one-man killing seminar and Received Navy Cross

www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

ETA...ChrisLe beat me to it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+ 1 on Diesel.

Put on a one-man killing seminar and Received Navy Cross

www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

ETA...ChrisLe beat me to it

If that's Diesel06 he sure as hell has my vote .
+1 and a
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]
- another vote for Diesel

And an Honorary Mention for O_P. Without his help, bread would still be bulletproof, and drywall would still be safe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
If life were video games, Diesel06 would certainly be L337 as hell - boasting a 20-0 kill/death ratio.

Edit to say that the post above me is true too. O_P is the man.

If this supposed award would be for contributions to AR15.com, I would nominate Old_Painless and SteyrAUG (for his consistently interesting posts). No offense to Diesel06, what he did was great, but I don't know if the intent of this award would be something more AR15.com-oriented.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Tokie, the Seeing Eye Cat, posthumously.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for the 'deranged aunt of ar15.com'

markm

And USMC 00-03, he seems like a level dude.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And an Honorary Mention for O_P. Without his help, bread would still be bulletproof, and drywall would still be safe.

yep +1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait a minute... Wait ONE MINUTE!!

All year I have been berated and abused with E mails, IM's and threads containing pics of spiders and bugs of the like causing me nightmares and mental distress all while helping those in need get their appliances fixed. I have been on the receiving end of jokes regarding my name and the PROPER spelling I may add and all of you add the "D" anyway to piss me off??

I have been photoshopped by other members and made to wear a dress in certain "productions" and I DONT GET NOMINATED??? I NEVER WON GIVEAWAYS AND CONTESTS EVEN THOUGH I ENDLESSLY ENTER MY NAME??

I NEVER GOT A DAMN THING!!! NO ONE EVER NOMINATES ME DAMMIT!!!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally paid for a membership. Doesn't that count for something???? Before I did, everyone was telling me how shitty and unbecoming I was for usng bandwidth and resources for free.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#22]
What about the guy who posted the Range Report?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I nominate myself, for all my funny drunken post, including this one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
DIESEL06
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I nominate DrFrige for being a good sport about the, spider slippers we were gonna send him, the endless mis-spelling of his name and those damn wooden shoes anyone who can wear those all day gets my vote.

So one vote for DrFridge
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I nominate DrFrige for being a good sport about the, spider slippers we were gonna send him, the endless mis-spelling of his name and those damn wooden shoes anyone who can wear those all day gets my vote.
So one vote for DrFridge

NO!! Im not the one with the wooden shoes!!!! thats DKPRof isnt it??
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

nailed it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote here for Diesel06
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#29]
That would be funny if DrFridge got the award, but didn't actually receive it since it was to DrFridge instead of DrFrige.

DK-Prof is another good one. I just always enjoy his posts.

Who was the guy that's a contractor in Iraq? SIMPLYDYNAMIC or something like that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Old_Painless in a whuppin' as bad as LSU put on Miami last night--guys, it ain't even close.

Honorable mention:

ErictheHun
SteyrAug
DrFrige
ARDOC

HH
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#31]
After reading what I just did about Diesel06, all I can say is OOOHHH RAHHH!!!

DIESEL06 ALL DA' WAY!!!

Hell I like you, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#32]
D06 all the way
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Does EdAvilaSr count?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Diesel06
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Does EdAvilaSr count?

kiss ass!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So one vote for DrFridge

NO!! Im not the one with the wooden shoes!!!! thats DKPRof isnt it??

Forgive me I was drunk.

So make that one vote for DrFrige and one for DKProf (even if he is dutch)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
+ 1 on Diesel.

Absolutely
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I nominate UncleZ for the lovely pictures he provided....hopefully he'll bring them back somehow...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I nominate

Squatdog

jj
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Will there be any sort of voting for this?

Edit: I bet there's some sort of poll creator on the Internet that we could use to give more choices than are available with the AR15.com polls. It'd be nice to see everyone nominated get a spot.

Oh, and I have thought about it, and I think it should definitely go to Old_Painless.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Deisel06

and that guy who sent us the pics of his ex girlfriend.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
After reading what I just did about Diesel06, all I can say is OOOHHH RAHHH!!!

DIESEL06 ALL DA' WAY!!!

Hell I like you, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister!!

He should rent himself out for Stud.  I got a couple sisters I would like to donate.  

MAybe we should revise a joke in honor of him..:

A huge band of insurgents were making their way through town when out of a building a voice called "One Marine can kick the asses of 10 Insurgents!".  The Insurgent picks out 10 men and sends them in, and after a bunch or gunfire, yelling, and screaming, a voice calls out "One marine is better than 100 of you!".  Insulted, 100 men run in and are met with machinegun fire, explosions and their ultimate demise.  The voice calls out again "One Marine can defeat 1000 insurgents!".  1000 men run in and the gunfire and explosions begin again, and one insurgent crawls out and tells the commander "It is a trap, it is Brian Chontosh in there!".

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 Diesel06
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I nominate

Squatdog

jj

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Diesel06.  I had never heard of him before this thread, but wow...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Diesel06

For sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top