Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:27:26 AM EDT
I am going to AR15 school pretty soon and am curiuos what type of courses and drills are shot.  Those that have been, can you elaborate a little.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it really depends on the agency.  Some agencies in my state will do the class in 1 day, while my particular agency's class is four days.  About 2/3 of the class was slow fire from standing, kneeling, and prone (instructor yelling "well aimed shots!").  The other 1/3 was dynamic runnin & gunnin, barricade work, transitions, etc.  I was lucky because we sent LOTS of rounds downrange, and the class was fun and competetive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am going to AR15 school pretty soon and am curiuos what type of courses and drills are shot.  Those that have been, can you elaborate a little.

Thanks

Where?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Where?

+1

Is it inner Agency or through an Outside Vendor? Either way it should prove challenging and fun.

Try to get some range time before you start your school. Find out what type of ammunition you will be required to use -if any-. Some Department's require you use their ammo for liabilty reasons, mine requires 55 grain Blackhills.

You will more than likely be required to sling your weapon. Practice with your sling in what ever uniform you will be required to wear.

You will also -more than likely- be require to shoot a low light/dusk course. This changes the dynamic greatly,

Most importantly, practice, practice, practice, and become familiar with all of the gear/ammunition/settings before hand, if possible.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Where?

From what I have heard, our department may be using Dallas PD's range but I am not 100%.  It is going to be a 3 day course.  It will be taught by our range officers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Where?

From what I have heard, our department may be using Dallas PD's range but I am not 100%.  It is going to be a 3 day course.  It will be taught by our range officers.

A lot can be covered in three days.  Most of the drills will likely be less than 50 yards, although TCLEOSE more or less requires some at 100 (depending on the size of the target).  Since there are three days the first will probably be something like "OK, this is a rifle.  This end goes against your shoulder and this is the end the bullet comes out".  Dude it waaay depends on your range officers.  IM me where you work.  I think I might be in your area.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a great time and shot a BUNCH.  Best thing was I was the only reloader there and got about 8k pieces of LC brass to reload!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top